Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 09:55 AM

51,582 posts, read 25,570,349 times

Advertisements

One thing that is unique is how many women made the shift in the 2018 elections and now women are leading with the impeachment.

Marie Yovanovich marched in there like she owned the place. Then she did.

Fiona Hill appears to be a non-nonsense woman.

Nancy Pelosi - ditto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 09:57 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,737,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
In the end it won't matter. The impeachment vote following the Senate proceedings won't be based on facts. Instead, the proceedings will be a spin factory in which Republicans will focus entirely on polemics and red herrings. DT will retain his rather broad seat, albeit with an asterisk on his record.
Many if not most Senate Republicans detest Trump; they said so back in 2015 before he got the GOP nomination. They tolerate and defend him because they have to for political reasons. They excuse that by reciting the ridiculous theories put out by Trump but I doubt that many actually believe it.

Most of them have been very quiet these last few weeks when it comes to Trump; I think they are watching to see which way the wind blows in the House hearings. If they get any whiff that Trump is in trouble, they will all run for the exits. If Bolton and Mulvaney get the OK to testify from a judge, I think it will be bad for Trump and Republicans will abandon him. Bolton in particular has been very critical of Trump and is a no-nonsense person with a lot of credibility.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:03 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,730,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
It'll help his reelection chances, because no matter what comes out of these hearings, the last thing America will hear before November 2020 will be Trump's voice, and Trump always makes controversy work in his favor by attacking those who tried to take him down - including the women who accused him of sexual misconduct, remember that?

The more you attack Trump, the more he wins support.
Trump was never going to lose 2020, not with an economy like this, so Democrats threw a Hail Mary, hoping to somehow sway 2/3 of the Senate.
They thought at least some Republicans in the House would support the inquiry resolution, but not one did (and 2 Democrats also voted No), and that's an indication that it'll fail miserably in the Senate too.
So before you hear anything publicly your mind is made up?

Old 11-11-2019, 10:03 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,004,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Trump's approval ratings have been stuck in the low 40's for the last year-and-a-half. There is no more support for him to gain. He is at his absolute ceiling. The roughly 55% who do not approve of him are dead set in their views, they will not vote for him no matter what he does.

There will be no impeachment backlash to help Trump. His approval numbers won't budge.
Yep if anything they'll fall a bit more.. Some of the mixed and indifferent people (there aren't many) Are not going to side with a guy like this. He tweeted over 80 times yesterday alone..

Old 11-11-2019, 10:13 AM

17,344 posts, read 9,163,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
The open hearings will blow up in your face just as surely as Meuller did. It'll all fizzle out by Thanksgiving.
How many people actually watch these "open hearings" - especially the hearings that go on all day, sometimes for 2 days? I watch a fair number of them and they are boring-boring-boring for the most part - I would say that I'm in the minority. Transcripts later become available, but they are not necessarily easy to find and then their are 300-500+ pages to slog thru.

The majority of the Public doesn't watch this stuff, many have no idea who their CongressCritter even is.
Reporters are supposed to report what happens - but we are in an age where the Media is an arm of the Democrat Party and they won't go against their Party.

I tend to think that it's the Closed Hearings that "will blow" in the face of the Democrats. I'm already reading transcripts and so are a few other decent reporters ... Like Bryan York of the Examiner and my guess is real reporters like Matt Taibii of Rolling Stone is reading them also + the Real Clear Politics Investigative team - they will report the parts the Leftists and their Media leave out. Vindman is a big important witness for the Kanagroo Court, but he turned out to be a pretty poor witness when you have access to the entire Transcript. His entire testimony validates the Trump Phone Call testimony and only shows that HE and others like him on the National Security Counsel disagreed with Trump Policy.
Bad news for them is that a disagreement on the Policy of the President of the United States is not cause for Impeachment. It's the Job of the President to set the Policy - it's the Job of the employee of the Administration to implement the Policy, doesn't matter if they agree with it or not.

https://twitter.com/ByronYork/status...54423041728514

Byron York (among others) is telling anyone interested what is really in the Transcripts of the Closed Hearings .... information that in the normal course of events, people would not be aware of.
Intersting Twitter Threads - I guess everyone knew that Adam Schiff has no problem with HIS witnesses having Lawyers present, he won't allow Lawyers for others.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:17 AM

28,355 posts, read 16,276,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
"...so the Democrats see no need for the whistleblower, who heard the story secondhand, to testify."

Lol. wut?

The whistleblower heard the story secondhand? Um...really?

Your honor, isn't that called 'hearsay' and inadmissible as evidence?

It's got to be a joke.

This your first day following this story?

We've known since the beginning that the whistleblower wasn't reporting 1st-hand information.

This isn't a court of law. For the umpteenth time...

Old 11-11-2019, 10:24 AM

28,355 posts, read 16,276,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
How many people actually watch these "open hearings" - especially the hearings that go on all day, sometimes for 2 days? I watch a fair number of them and they are boring-boring-boring for the most part - I would say that I'm in the minority. Transcripts later become available, but they are not necessarily easy to find and then their are 300-500+ pages to slog thru.

The majority of the Public doesn't watch this stuff, many have no idea who their CongressCritter even is.
Reporters are supposed to report what happens - but we are in an age where the Media is an arm of the Democrat Party and they won't go against their Party.

I tend to think that it's the Closed Hearings that "will blow" in the face of the Democrats. I'm already reading transcripts and so are a few other decent reporters ... Like Bryan York of the Examiner and my guess is real reporters like Matt Taibii of Rolling Stone is reading them also + the Real Clear Politics Investigative team - they will report the parts the Leftists and their Media leave out. Vindman is a big important witness for the Kanagroo Court, but he turned out to be a pretty poor witness when you have access to the entire Transcript. His entire testimony validates the Trump Phone Call testimony and only shows that HE and others like him on the National Security Counsel disagreed with Trump Policy.
Bad news for them is that a disagreement on the Policy of the President of the United States is not cause for Impeachment. It's the Job of the President to set the Policy - it's the Job of the employee of the Administration to implement the Policy, doesn't matter if they agree with it or not.

https://twitter.com/ByronYork/status...54423041728514

Byron York (among others) is telling anyone interested what is really in the Transcripts of the Closed Hearings .... information that in the normal course of events, people would not be aware of.
Intersting Twitter Threads - I guess everyone knew that Adam Schiff has no problem with HIS witnesses having Lawyers present, he won't allow Lawyers for others.
I don't know anyone who is claiming the White House is "hiding" an exact transcript. I question, as do many others, what was left out of the version that the White House released, though.

They stopped recording phone calls back after Nixon, I believe.

None of this should be surprising to anyone who has bothered to research things for 5 mins.

https://apnews.com/8f96294c8bc44ad485d74a7a0b0a0e00

Someone should explain that reality to the President, though:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hone-call.html

'This is an exact word-for-word transcript of the conversation, taken by very talented stenographers,' Trump said.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:48 AM

16,040 posts, read 10,591,641 times
The whistleblower statement is just the preamble to this long and ugly account of Trump's underhanded and illegal efforts to extort corrupt behavior from a foreign country for political gain and then hide the whole mess he created. The fact that he admits that he did it should be sufficient evidence for impeachment. That he claims he was doing this as a way to have Ukraine fight against corruption is a sick joke. Many people in his administration, some who were direct witnesses, have sworn that Trump did the deed. Try to keep up...this has gone far beyond the whistleblower's involvement.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:49 AM

9,300 posts, read 16,599,633 times
No aid was withheld, no investigation into Biden took place....where's the crime?

Old 11-11-2019, 10:57 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,737,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
No aid was withheld, no investigation into Biden took place....where's the crime?
Aid was only given when a bipartisan group forced Trump to release it.
https://www.defensenews.com/congress...-fight-russia/

His crime is extortion and campaign finance violation, and the biggie is corruption and failure to keep his oath of office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies