Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2019, 12:23 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why? The whole point is to show these people are contributors because they are in fact working age. They pay for services used by others, like retirees. Having said that, retirees pay taxes too.

Actually, the whole point is that one does not have a legal right to remain here if they are not and cannot be in compliance with immigration law, regardless of how productive they claim to be. If a person breaks into your house you have the right to have them removed, by force if necessary. It doesn't matter if they claim to have fixed your roof, mowed your lawn, cleaned your house, and cooked you dinner. If you have not given them permission to enter, they have no right to stay no matter what they do.

Your entire sidline distraction of comparing their work force participation and taxes paid is completely irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 12:27 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Actually, the whole point is that one does not have a legal right to remain here if they are not and cannot be in compliance with immigration law, regardless of how productive they claim to be.
They do have that right with DACA. Try to follow the conversation.

And yes, there are un-resolved question relating to canceling DACA and deporting the people in question.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:39 PM

62,940 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Why? The whole point is to show these people are contributors because they are in fact working age. They pay for services used by others, like retirees. Having said that, retirees pay taxes too.
And if they weren't here Americans would be doing those jobs and paying taxes so what's your point? It's not like we can't live without them. If you think all of them are working you aren't dealing in reality. Obama had no right to allow them into our military either. Illegal aliens, deferred or not aren't lawfully allowed in our military. Here's some stats on the DACAs.

DACA Fraud Rate at ’40 to 50 Percent’, Says Former Immigration Official

https://thehill.com/opinion/immigrat...weve-been-told

Old 11-13-2019, 12:44 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Actually 91% of them work, pay taxes and are productive. Compare that to the US LFPR rate od 63%. They are contributors, not takers, which is why it doesn't make sense to make them the priority, but I guess it comes back to the "undoing Obama" childishness.
So what? None of that matters.

And if we amnesty this bunch of DACAs, then what? Give every aggrieved group of illegals who were brought here as kids yet another amnesty?

Since when is it okay to reward the children of criminals?

Old 11-13-2019, 12:50 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Take unlawfully, which is what illegal aliens have done: unlawfully take residency in the US.
You can't steal a concept because it suggests "residency" is being stolen from someone else. An undocumented immigrant living in the US doesn't remove the possibility of someone else living there. There is no theft. Whether you agree or disagree on the details of their status, they are not stealing residency from anyone. No immigrant going through the lawful documentation process is prevented from living in the US because someone else is living there undocumented. This argument is dumb.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Thank you. The chart proves what I said. Doubled since he took office (550K in 2016, and about 1 M in 2019).

And somehow this equates to him having fixed the problem. The mind of a Trump loyalist it a mysterious place

You may return back to topic now.
No, it doubled since 2014. You couldn't comprehend the chart? Trump has been bucked constantly to fix the illegal immigration problem by the Democrats and liberal court judges and you know it. In spite of that he has done some things to alleviate the problem such as making them wait in Mexico until their cases are heard and making headway to built the wall. Have you been asleep for the past 3 years? Stop calling me a Trump loyalist! I have asked you this before! My loyalty in regards to this country is its citizens and our laws not illegal aliens and aka DACAs as you and yours are.

I don't need your permission to get back on topic as it didn't go off topic by me anyway. Probably one of your fellow pro-DACA people did it and you've chimed right in yourself so you have no right to tell anyone else to get back on topic! All of these illegal immigration comments are related to DACA anyway.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Dems don't lose anything with the wall. They even offered to build one in 2012 with their immigration reform (which GOP rejected). Of course today, they try to get the milage out of Trump who made it into his #1 campaign promise and will give anything for it. When you make it so obvious that you really, really want something badly, the opposition will make you pay for it. Its was a basic negotiation blunder from Trump's part.
Amnesty for millions of illegals was not acceptable in any way shape or form by the Republicans and rightly so! There is nothing worth that! So no, there wasn't any blunder

Trump asked for full funding for the wall in exchange for DACA but the Democrats turned that down so the blunder was on their part. And don't get started on Mexico paying for the wall again as it wasn't going to be paid up front with a check but through tariffs. We couldn't wait for that to take place in order to start building the wall. The taxpayer would have been reimbursed through those tariffs. Doesn't matter anyway. I'd rather pay $25 billion for border security than the continued $100 billion a year that illegals cost us.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:02 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
And if they weren't here Americans would be doing those jobs and paying taxes so what's your point?
So, you think you can just remove 800 000 workers from the workforce and not have any kind of impact?

It would have an impact. Employers would be impacted,and many of these guys are employers themselves, so their employees would be impacted. It would also have an impact on the mortgage market, rental market, consumer spending etc, not to mention the 200 000 kids who are 100% US Citizens. Many of them are married to US spouses, who will end up in welfare once the head of the household is eliminated from the picture.

I am not saying it can't be done, but there are consequences, and those things need to be considered. I am glad the SC is doing the thinking since the Trump admin obviously did not, and his loyalists couldnt care less.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:02 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
well, over the period of time the DACA's were here, those conditions may have changed. And I'm pretty sure we've already established that economic reasons are not valid for asylum. So, if the parents of DACA's had applied for and been granted asylum - as we have laws and procedures established - then there wouldn't be an issue on the "dangerous conditions" front.

It's impossible for me to form a reasonable opinion on what I would do since I'm a US Citizen as are my children, as are our families. And, my children are now in their teens so they would surely live with legal family should I be sentenced to a lengthy jail term (the equivalent) for any heinous crime I committed.
I bet economic reasons were valid when a lot of Europeans came over. That was certainly true of groups like the Irish. I wonder how many people in the country today have ancestry going back to immigrants that came to the US based on economic circumstances. I bet it's a very significant number. But I guess that's different, somehow. You got yours.

You do know, though, that asylum claims are not based on economic circumstances like poverty, right? So I'm not even sure why you're bringing that up. Also, asylum seeking, which is a legal process, is unrelated to the issue of undocumented immigration. DACAs are not considered refugees or asylum seekers. It's an entirely different issue and set of immigrants.

As for what the parents of DACAs should've done, any basic understanding of the current immigration system would reveal that most undocumented immigrants would not meet the requirements of the current system- through no fault of their own- and therefore would not actually be able to go through the legal process of immigration in any capacity. This popular talking point that they should "go through the process like everyone else" is literally impossible for most of them to do. That does not necessarily excuse crossing the border without documentation, but I wish we could move on to this talking point that is woefully immigrant of the American immigration system.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
So, you think you can just remove 800 000 workers from the workforce and not have any kind of impact?

It would have an impact. Employers would be impacted,and many of these guys are employers themselves, so their employees would be impacted. It would also have an impact on the mortgage market, rental market, consumer spending etc, not to mention the 200 000 kids who are 100% US Citizens. Many of them are married to US spouses, who will end up in welfare once the head of the household is eliminated from the picture.

I am not saying it can't be done, but there are consequences, and those things need to be considered. I am glad the SC is doing the thinking since the Trump admin obviously did not, and his loyalists couldnt care less.
As I said, that is not the number that are working but the number that are here. How did the employers survive before DACA took those jobs? Were they just vacant and waiting for them? We would adjust and adjust easily. Our economy was doing just fine before millions of illegals flooded our border. Again no, the anchors of the DACAs are not citizens of the U.S. and all the arguments proving it has already been explained in detail over and over but you won't listen. Your entire post is filled with nothing but fear mongering and yet you and yours accuse the right of that? Whatever consequences there would be by ridding ourselves of illegal aliens including the DACAs would be worth it in the long run. If you want to bash a Trump loyalist then you're talking to the wrong person!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies