Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 02:39 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times

Advertisements

https://www.businessinsider.com/amer...-6#hellmans-11

Foreign countries are controlling more and more American companies as a result of unfair trade agreements and laws passed by the globalist Washington elites that are allowing things like this to happen. In another thread, liberals mocked the concern that some people have over companies like Burger King, Popeyes and Circle K not owned by Americans anymore and being controlled by foreign countries, in that case Canada. They claim that since Canada isn't an enemy country, they have no problem with Canada buying up American businesses. The fact remains though, that when we go to Popeyes or Burger King now, when we buy that famous Popeyes chicken sandwich, we are no longer helping our local community or our country's economy as the money we spent will be sent to Canada. Bud LIght is one of the most iconic American products, but its now owned by a Belgian and South African company, when you buy a six pack of Bud, the money no longer stays in the US and helps Americans, it's sent to Belgium and South Africa. Again, Belgium and South Africa are not hostile nations, but is nobody bothered by the fact that more and more of the money we spend here are sent to foreign nations and not helping out Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 02:41 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
Now I know Walmart is controversial from both sides of the political spectrum, conservatives dislike it because of its socially liberal politics especially gun control and opposing Southern culture, while liberals hate it for its lack of unions, but Walmart at least is still an American company. While Taco Bell sells international food, its still also an American company based in the US.

I think that there should be more federal and state laws to oppose the takeover of American businesses by foreign countries. For example local municipalities should have laws blocking the opening of new businesses that are not incorporated in the US as these don't benefit our country and only serves to take money out of the local economy and give it to foreign nations.

Old 11-15-2019, 03:11 AM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Now I know Walmart is controversial from both sides of the political spectrum, conservatives dislike it because of its socially liberal politics especially gun control and opposing Southern culture, while liberals hate it for its lack of unions, but Walmart at least is still an American company. While Taco Bell sells international food, its still also an American company based in the US.

I think that there should be more federal and state laws to oppose the takeover of American businesses by foreign countries. For example local municipalities should have laws blocking the opening of new businesses that are not incorporated in the US as these don't benefit our country and only serves to take money out of the local economy and give it to foreign nations.

LOL, taco bells serves international food?

Old 11-15-2019, 03:18 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,238,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

You are going to really like this Democratic candidate named Elizabeth Warren.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:59 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
When foreign = UK I do not lose sleep over it.
When foreign = China... The opposite.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:19 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
What difference does it make at this point? We’re either in a global economy or we aren’t. Ya can’t have it both ways.

To be honest, I’d much rather have foreign bosses than American ones anyway. I wish my company was owned an ran by non Americans. It’d probably be ran a whole helluva lot better...especially for the rank and file.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:26 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
The US owns lots of overseas companies and has lots of large multinationals and there has to be a level playing field in terms of takeovers and mergers.

Takeovers and mergers can be preveted by Government if they will lead to a lack of competition or a monopoly or for national security reasons.

The current propsed takeover over of British Defence Company Cobham by the US private equity firm Advent is currently halted whilst national security implications are examined. Whilst the recent failed takeover bid launched by the Hong Kong Stock Exchange in relation to the London Stock Exchange raised eyebrows.

Controversial US takeover of defence firm Cobham hits new delay - The Guardian

Last year US Company Comcast outbid Fox and took over Sky Television.

Comcast outbids Fox in a $39 billion takeover of Sky - CNBC

The takover of Cadbury by Kraft in 2010 and the subsequent allegations of the US Company misleading the British Parliament over promises relating to the Somerdale factory led to major changes in takeover policy in the UK. A subsquent report by the British Parliament found Kraft to be "arrogant", "dismissive" and called its attitude "unacceptable".

Subsequent takeovers such as Pfizers failed takeover of AstraZeneca became far more difficult and problematic as a result.

The Cadbury deal: How it changed takeovers - BBC News

American food company treats parliament 'with contempt ' - Politics UK

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-15-2019 at 05:49 AM..

Old 11-15-2019, 03:58 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Buying and selling shares in corporations, whether the company has its HQ in your country or not, is called capitalism. And capitalists everywhere in the world do it. Including you, if you have, for instance a 401k or an IRA or shares in a mutual fund. It's called diversifying your portfolio in order to protect your capital.

OP, I wonder why you don't know this.

Last edited by jacqueg; 11-15-2019 at 04:37 PM..

Old 11-15-2019, 04:13 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What difference does it make at this point? We’re either in a global economy or we aren’t. Ya can’t have it both ways.

To be honest, I’d much rather have foreign bosses than American ones anyway. I wish my company was owned an ran by non Americans. It’d probably be ran a whole helluva lot better...especially for the rank and file.
Why not just move to China and you'll have plenty of foreign bosses to run you better ?

Old 11-15-2019, 04:51 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,403,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
You are going to really like this Democratic candidate named Elizabeth Warren.

No, the Cherokee people will really like her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies