Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 11:04 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Anyone can see The Hunger Games anytime they want; it's on Amazon for less than $5.
They want to see it as a reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 12:18 PM

2,495 posts, read 866,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Yes. When I joined in 2006 I was a middle of the road 1980s style Republican. Yes I still like Reagan.

This forum has helped convince me that both parties are rotten to the core and both have members of their base who are out of their minds unreasonable people. I mean like 20% on the right are inhuman sociopaths who would love to see the hunger games and 20% on the left are insane social justice warriors with no grip on reality.

Hunger Games is an allegory about a New World Order future that the paleocon right is warning that globalists and elites are working toward.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:15 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
It would be difficult to go from anarchist back to statist though it has actually happened to a few social media personalities (Adam Kokesh, Stefan Molyneux, Chris Cantwell). That is, if you believe they were actual anarchists in the first place (I believe Kokesh was one but you never know).

In any event, going back and forth within the paradigm of "legal" rape/robbery/murder/slavery (aka statism) is hardly a change of mind or heart. It's like sitting around the table post-heist with your other cronies and announcing that you've decided against spending your ill-gotten booty on a car, as previously planned, and instead will be purchasing a few large smart TVs.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:17 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
They want to see it as a reality.

V for Vendetta is closer to the society that the Trump supporters want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flBpsyFbEOs

Old 11-11-2019, 01:23 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Yes, I am a never Trumper, and always will be, but discussions with people have helped me to understand the reasons why good people may support him (even if I don't agree with them). I've grown to understand people have their reasons, and it's not just to facilitate hate and division.

Also, I saw Joe Rogan make several points. I tend to respect his opinion, even if I don't always agree with it, so he has changed my opinion on several matters, or at least opened me up to another perspective.

As I've posted MANY times, I'm married to a Trump Supporter. I know what is in her heart, and she has shown me another way to think about it. I'll never vote for him, but I can at least respect that people have their reasons.

It's very difficult to even type this, because it sounds like I agree with them (I don't) or that I support Trump in any way (I don't), I've just learned to agree to disagree, and to realize that it's not all about hate, division and disdain for all that America stands for. (How can I write that and not sound like I'm making a jab? I'm not. I'm just being crystal clear that I understand them, but don't agree, yet I maintain respect for some of his supporters.)
This post here illustrates how we need to be as a society. It's gotten to the point that people cant agree to disagree. The rhetoric has ramped up to the point that it's now in the words of Dave Rubin, it's about punching Nazi's. People are incorrectly assuming things about the other side that may not be accurate.

I don't agree with Sanders or Warren, but I can see why some people would be drawn to their message. Kids coming out of school loaded up with debt, jobs are in some cases getting harder to come by, especially for those that didn't pick some of the more practical degrees, but whatever. I don't want to go off into the weeds, just saying that it's refreshing to read a post where someone can say, I'm not down with that, but you can have your own opinion about it and not be a Nazi.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:26 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
My attitudes on gun control has changed vear the last year. I am good friends with a guy who owns more than a few guns including an Ar-15. Talking to him has made me see things a little more clearly on guns. I thikn our talks have made me realize what I always believed more than anything. People here think that since I lean lean, I must be for Beto's gun confiscation scam he had conjured up. But I don't.

My talks with my friend showed me we had more in common than not. He and I agree there needs to be better background checks for everyone and if it takes ten days, 15 days, thirty days, so be it. People with bonafide mental illness need to go through an even more stringent background check. If the police think you're a threat, you need to lose your guns until a determination can take place.

I have since gotten into debates with folks on both sides of the gun control issue and pissed off both sides. So I must assume I am now on the right side of the ssue!

Old 11-11-2019, 01:50 PM

157 posts, read 93,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
#2, change towards which direction?

Toward more gun control. As in, take them all away. It was a hard sell, but once the argument clicked for me, it clicked completely. (But I'm not an activist or anything, so don't ask me to defend my belief. It's just an internal thing which definitely shifted as a result of discussion.)

Old 11-11-2019, 02:18 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
My attitudes on gun control has changed vear the last year. I am good friends with a guy who owns more than a few guns including an Ar-15. Talking to him has made me see things a little more clearly on guns. I thikn our talks have made me realize what I always believed more than anything. People here think that since I lean lean, I must be for Beto's gun confiscation scam he had conjured up. But I don't.

My talks with my friend showed me we had more in common than not. He and I agree there needs to be better background checks for everyone and if it takes ten days, 15 days, thirty days, so be it. People with bonafide mental illness need to go through an even more stringent background check. If the police think you're a threat, you need to lose your guns until a determination can take place.

I have since gotten into debates with folks on both sides of the gun control issue and pissed off both sides. So I must assume I am now on the right side of the ssue!
I don't have guns, don't particularly care either way for guns. I think sensible gun control laws should be in placed and followed including the things you listed.

A few years back I watched a documentary called Ukraine on Fire and it changed my views of gun ownership. I'm a firm supporter of the 2nd amendment now, I was sorta blasé about it before. I fully support law abiding citizen's rights to keep firearms and I will protest and fight whole heartedly if they try and repeal the 2nd amendment. I've never been an activist type, but I think on issues as important as self-defense it's very important to me.

Old 11-11-2019, 02:36 PM

2,495 posts, read 866,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoSomething View Post
Toward more gun control. As in, take them all away. It was a hard sell, but once the argument clicked for me, it clicked completely. (But I'm not an activist or anything, so don't ask me to defend my belief. It's just an internal thing which definitely shifted as a result of discussion.)
"After murder rate passes NYC, London Mayor Sadiq Khan calls for sharper knife control"
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...rol/500328002/

Old 11-11-2019, 02:47 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,359,747 times
Quote:
Yes. When I joined in 2006 I was a middle of the road 1980s style Republican. Yes I still like Reagan.

This forum has helped convince me that both parties are rotten to the core and both have members of their base who are out of their minds unreasonable people. I mean like 20% on the right are inhuman sociopaths who would love to see the hunger games and 20% on the left are insane social justice warriors with no grip on reality.
LMAO oh so true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies