Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 08:41 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,664,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Says the racist black guy (the Farrakhan worshipper) who loves playing the victim. And yes, if you refuse to denounce the #1 anti-Semite in the country (worse....you said he was the greatest black American alive today), then no....I am not going to sympathize with you over people racist against blacks. YOU are worshipping the person most racist against Jews. Such a hypocrite!

And, btw, you have NO idea what I do in my private life, including donations, in connection with poor blacks - and enabling them to better themselves. I just will not go "oooooh…..I agree with you; those white racists are so AWFUL" to the same person who joyfully told me that he admires the biggest anti-Semitic DEMON in the country. Do you think I'm an idiot?

Truly amazing that the racist who worships Farrakhan - and brags about it to a Jew - then is annoyed that the Jew won't agree with him about how awful racism against blacks is. Honestly, I don't think these liberal bigots even realize how awful they are.

P.S. There was a black woman on here revealing statistics about how antisemitism, while still not widely held, is more prevalent among blacks than whites. Based on some of the nasty **** I see coming from black liberals here, I don't find that hard to believe.
If I love playing the victim then you must as well. You must be competing with me for the trophy....lol. Like I said, I am a Christian......I separate religion out of judgment of leaders in the black community. There are people, who for their stand for black people and the black struggle, whom I admire and respect. They are Christians, Muslims, Rastafarians, etc, etc. Whatever they say about religion, I ignore. Farrakahn even says somethings about spaceships and aliens that really seem way out there. What does that have to do with his stance for black people?

You keep telling me he is the number one person against the Jews in the nation. Well, I don't follow his positions on religions. I like the man for his position on speaking truth about race in America.....not his positions on religions. Jewish is not a race.....its a religion. As a Christian....if I brought religion into it, I would not be open to ANYTHING he says because he is Muslim, not because he finds faults with another religion. I divorce myself from religion rhetoric. I support many, not all, of his positions concerning race and his eloquent description of what has been inflicted upon black people.

You are not going to get me to focus on religion, as it relates to who I chose to admire and respect. There is a separation of church and state, so to speak, in who I like and respect. My position on Jewish people will come from my own study and my own experience. I don't know much about Jewish people to have a position one way or the other. In such a case, I just treat such a people the way I would want to be treated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 09:09 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,772,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Why? If you run a small business, own rental property, work in the service industry or are any kind of worker bee the economy certainly does matter. I believe it was Nancy P. who said about Trumps tax cuts: "Whats the big deal about an extra $50 a week."

Well, for many people it is a big deal.
LOL - my black husband runas a small business, we also own several rental properties. We are both professional.

I didn't get any tax cuts from my regular job from Trump. It was the one thing that I was hoping to like about him lol.

IMO many of you conservatives live in a la-la land about him. He is not doing anything for black people who own businesses or rental properties. I actually got more tax refunds under Obama than I have under Trump the last couple of years.

Main thing that Trump has done that is beneficial for my family is raise the limits of investment into IRA accounts. And unfortunately a lot of African Americans don't invest in IRAs like my family does. I always invest the maximum per year in all my retirement accounts so that increase is going to make me have more money.

But I gained more in my retirement accounts under Obama than I have under Trump. Main thing I liked about Obama (and FWIW my tax refunds HEAVILY decreased under Obama, they went from like $10k to $33 some years $1k other years) was that I gained over 100% in my investment accounts. I invest in index funds and IMO him not putting the hammer on Wallstreet like a lot of liberals wanted him to do because of the financial collaspe, was the main reason why my husband and I were able to expand our real estate investments (we purchased a few of our rental properties and the home that we live in today when Obama was president due to the huge drop in value of real estate - we were able to use our 401ks - take a loan out from them, but buy property without any banks involved so everything was very easy).

For those of us black people who are educated and who lived through both Obama and Trump thus far, Obama was better for us.

The idea that a Republican is better for the economy is a lie on many fronts if you look at economic trends over the past 30-40 years. And FWIW I'm worried about the real estate market. My husband and I have been speaking about unloading our investment properties in Atlanta, which are in gentrifying neighborhoods because I just have a feeling things are going to tank in 2020. I also am going to steer some of our investments into less risky options over the next few months because I have a feeling that over the next couple years the sh** is going to hit the fan economically and I'm not the only person who feels this way in my demographic (black, educated business owner, investor).

ETA: Our healthcare rates have also increased when they decreased under Obama. I remember when Obamacare went into effect our healthcare rates lowered from over $700 a month in premiums to $0 in premium with a $2500 deductible. The deductible was less than the premiums we used to pay so I was super happy. They've started to creep back up again under Trump. I work in a field where I source healthcare plans and other benefits and I know for a fact that healthcare costs are increasing due to being knowledgeable about the industry. Luckily my spouse got a part time job where they offer super cheap healthcare. We will be transitioning the family to that plan so that we can save money in 2020 (that I will steer into low risk investments after building up our cash savings some more).

As I noted earlier though, presidents don't usually have much of anything to do with black people and our family's economic circumstances. IMO the idea that Trump should get credit, for instance, for my family's financial decisions, that is an insult to me. I personally don't hate Trump like a lot of people and I've been trying to find something to like him about - FWIW I loved GW Bush - he gave me stimulus checks lol. If Trump gave me one, he'd get on my good side but it's have to be $1600 like Bush gave me lol. But he is not an effective president. I also do feel he is a racist and a sexist and I am a prochoice woman and I feel he is using SCOTUS to court the religious right in regards to conservative judges and overtuning Roe v. Wade. I don't want that to occur so it drives who I will vote for in 2020. I'm not going to vote for him. I'd vote for any Democrat over him because of SCOTUS specifically. However, I'd prefer it not be one of the super lefty Dems - I don't particularly like Warren or Sanders for instance.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:31 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,772,069 times
FWIW I also think that now that we are considering selling some of our investment properties that we may be negatively impacted by some of Trump's tax laws from 2017. I was informed that we potentially may be from my friends who are more heavily into the legal aspects of real estate. I was informed we may have be pay a huge amount of taxes as a result of selling off our former single family home that we lived in when were still in Atlanta. We bought it for $90k and it is now worth over $200k (during the financial downtown, the value went to only $30k, and I am concerned, because that neighborhood is still a majority poor, black neighborhood, that if another downturn happens that we'd have to wait another 10 years to get back up to this value - we initially wanted to sell when we could get $250k on it, but we're thinking of listing in in the next couple of months so we can get as much as we can for it before the next downturn. We've had some investors approach us and offer us $180k for it and since we only own about $60k on that home, that would be a good profit. But of course we may have to pay 15-20% in taxes on whatever we profit from the sale).

So my family's thought process on finances, we take into account laws/regulations passed that impact us but in general the stuff that the president does is not important. I've not had issues with unemployment in over 10 years and neither has my husband. The idea that all black people sit around poor and not working is a stereotype. A majority of black people always are working and UE rates decreasing are just doing the same thing they've been doing over the past 10 years so I don't see anything attributable to Trump for this.

I would like to see him provide more options for black business owners in regards to easier financing options for specific industries. Not sure if he has or not. We don't typically use banks to finance our businesses and investments, we use our savings accounts (401ks, IRAs, cash savings, bonds, etc) as often black people are denied business loans and so we prefer to borrow from ourselves. And it is typically cheaper to take a tax hit from a withdrawal from an IRA (which we did to start my husband's business) than to get a loan from a bank.

Old 11-15-2019, 10:25 AM

12,910 posts, read 13,593,650 times
Quote:
What's a living wage? $50,000 a year for an unskilled job, like punching a few buttons at McDonald's? No business owner will pay that, and then they'll be out of work entirely - and totally dependent on other people supporting them. At least this way, they have a chance to work up to a manager or assistant manager position, either at McDonald's or at some other retail place. But if you insist that business owners pay $50,000 a year for a job that even a high schooler could do, then these people will have no job at all.

And you sound like such a lefty. Improve this....and give this....and make this more attainable....and etc., etc., etc. Only focused on the "give" side without a thought to how it will be funded, and the consequence to it. (Just like your "livable wage" demand.)

As to higher education and training for poor people, we already provide it - free-of-charge. Pell Grants cover enough for an associate's degree in CC or a vocational training program. That's a decent start and to poor people who avail themselves of it, they will move from poverty to lower-middle class at the minimum. If they do well in CC, they can win academic scholarships and get tuition practically covered entirely for a 4-year, as well.

Funny how you blame the "plantation stuff" on Republicans. Don't you know it was LBJ, with his Great Society programs, who said he'd be having the blacks voting D (although I believe he used a very pejorative word instead of "black") for the next 200 years? It was all intended to keep blacks poor and dependent on Democrats. It was all for the vote.
Typical out of touch conservative response.

People don't apply at fast food restaurants because they have always dreamed of managing a Burger King one day. People who work in food service know they aren't going to get more than a person with a PH.D. People with $2,750,000 who open a franchise already know the drill. Pay your employees crap and treat them worse. Don't worry about turnover because there is not much training involved. That's why those places always have a sign that says"hiring."

Conservatives have been brained washed to believe that its a zero sum game. Whatever poor people get is going to be taken from you.

I just put three kids through college. Having graduated from college myself, taught college and was an adviser, I crossed every t , dotted every i sent the Pell Grants application in in a timely fashion. My kids still had to borrow most of their money for community college and four year college, even though their parents are civil servants whose combined income is less than $100,000.

If the Republican party had more actual black people in it, you wouldn't have to use the typical boiler plate, out of touch answers to social problems in America. Poverty in America is a divergent problem. Conservatives always have the same weak solution when in fact there are many solutions. Job numbers don't prove anything because poverty is not an economic problem.

Old 11-15-2019, 11:39 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,077,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I about fell out of my chair rolling in laughter. It's like 10..9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1...."I am Jewish". She loves to juxtapose blacks and Jews. If you don't denounce the people she wants you to denounce, she will not support the black issues. Well.....she never did. She is anti-black issues and throws out being Jewish so she can claim victim status....but with a group that don't use it as an excuse for their failures.....like blacks. That is her MO.
I know. It’s laughable. Her sympathy?

Old 11-15-2019, 11:45 AM

13,281 posts, read 7,827,395 times
Black male - black male!

Old 11-15-2019, 04:50 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,302,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I know. It’s laughable. Her sympathy?
Well her go-to approach is to use the Jewish Horatio Alger myth to bash black people.

A variation is the Asian model minority myth.

Last edited by silverkris; 11-15-2019 at 05:13 PM..

Old 11-15-2019, 07:49 PM

13,460 posts, read 7,825,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL - my black husband runas a small business, we also own several rental properties. We are both professional.

I didn't get any tax cuts from my regular job from Trump. It was the one thing that I was hoping to like about him lol.

IMO many of you conservatives live in a la-la land about him. He is not doing anything for black people who own businesses or rental properties. I actually got more tax refunds under Obama than I have under Trump the last couple of years.

Main thing that Trump has done that is beneficial for my family is raise the limits of investment into IRA accounts. And unfortunately a lot of African Americans don't invest in IRAs like my family does. I always invest the maximum per year in all my retirement accounts so that increase is going to make me have more money.

But I gained more in my retirement accounts under Obama than I have under Trump. Main thing I liked about Obama (and FWIW my tax refunds HEAVILY decreased under Obama, they went from like $10k to $33 some years $1k other years) was that I gained over 100% in my investment accounts. I invest in index funds and IMO him not putting the hammer on Wallstreet like a lot of liberals wanted him to do because of the financial collaspe, was the main reason why my husband and I were able to expand our real estate investments (we purchased a few of our rental properties and the home that we live in today when Obama was president due to the huge drop in value of real estate - we were able to use our 401ks - take a loan out from them, but buy property without any banks involved so everything was very easy).

For those of us black people who are educated and who lived through both Obama and Trump thus far, Obama was better for us.

The idea that a Republican is better for the economy is a lie on many fronts if you look at economic trends over the past 30-40 years. And FWIW I'm worried about the real estate market. My husband and I have been speaking about unloading our investment properties in Atlanta, which are in gentrifying neighborhoods because I just have a feeling things are going to tank in 2020. I also am going to steer some of our investments into less risky options over the next few months because I have a feeling that over the next couple years the sh** is going to hit the fan economically and I'm not the only person who feels this way in my demographic (black, educated business owner, investor).

ETA: Our healthcare rates have also increased when they decreased under Obama. I remember when Obamacare went into effect our healthcare rates lowered from over $700 a month in premiums to $0 in premium with a $2500 deductible. The deductible was less than the premiums we used to pay so I was super happy. They've started to creep back up again under Trump. I work in a field where I source healthcare plans and other benefits and I know for a fact that healthcare costs are increasing due to being knowledgeable about the industry. Luckily my spouse got a part time job where they offer super cheap healthcare. We will be transitioning the family to that plan so that we can save money in 2020 (that I will steer into low risk investments after building up our cash savings some more).

As I noted earlier though, presidents don't usually have much of anything to do with black people and our family's economic circumstances. IMO the idea that Trump should get credit, for instance, for my family's financial decisions, that is an insult to me. I personally don't hate Trump like a lot of people and I've been trying to find something to like him about - FWIW I loved GW Bush - he gave me stimulus checks lol. If Trump gave me one, he'd get on my good side but it's have to be $1600 like Bush gave me lol. But he is not an effective president. I also do feel he is a racist and a sexist and I am a prochoice woman and I feel he is using SCOTUS to court the religious right in regards to conservative judges and overtuning Roe v. Wade. I don't want that to occur so it drives who I will vote for in 2020. I'm not going to vote for him. I'd vote for any Democrat over him because of SCOTUS specifically. However, I'd prefer it not be one of the super lefty Dems - I don't particularly like Warren or Sanders for instance.

I own a number of rentals. The increased tax deductions (24,000 for married couples) cuts nicely into the total gross rental income earned.

The economy in the Phoenix metro where I live is quite good. I see a lot of help wanted signs and rents have risen. I'm doing noticeable better than 5 years ago.

I'm sure there are plenty in the Black communities happy with the way the economy is moving and doing as well as I.

Last edited by john3232; 11-15-2019 at 09:18 PM..

Old 11-15-2019, 07:59 PM

13,460 posts, read 7,825,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FWIW I also think that now that we are considering selling some of our investment properties that we may be negatively impacted by some of Trump's tax laws from 2017. I was informed that we potentially may be from my friends who are more heavily into the legal aspects of real estate. I was informed we may have be pay a huge amount of taxes as a result of selling off our former single family home that we lived in when were still in Atlanta. We bought it for $90k and it is now worth over $200k (during the financial downtown, the value went to only $30k, and I am concerned, because that neighborhood is still a majority poor, black neighborhood, that if another downturn happens that we'd have to wait another 10 years to get back up to this value - we initially wanted to sell when we could get $250k on it, but we're thinking of listing in in the next couple of months so we can get as much as we can for it before the next downturn. We've had some investors approach us and offer us $180k for it and since we only own about $60k on that home, that would be a good profit. But of course we may have to pay 15-20% in taxes on whatever we profit from the sale).

So my family's thought process on finances, we take into account laws/regulations passed that impact us but in general the stuff that the president does is not important. I've not had issues with unemployment in over 10 years and neither has my husband. The idea that all black people sit around poor and not working is a stereotype. A majority of black people always are working and UE rates decreasing are just doing the same thing they've been doing over the past 10 years so I don't see anything attributable to Trump for this.

I would like to see him provide more options for black business owners in regards to easier financing options for specific industries. Not sure if he has or not. We don't typically use banks to finance our businesses and investments, we use our savings accounts (401ks, IRAs, cash savings, bonds, etc) as often black people are denied business loans and so we prefer to borrow from ourselves. And it is typically cheaper to take a tax hit from a withdrawal from an IRA (which we did to start my husband's business) than to get a loan from a bank.
Can you be specific? I recently sold a rental property in San Francisco and see no recent changes in the Federal law. The deductions are still the same.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:28 PM

29,453 posts, read 16,400,245 times
Quote:
Here's where we disagree: Black people had their unemployment rates drop to the lowest rate ever under Trump, as unemployment rates dropped across the board.
You cant ignore the Obama years. Trump didnt go from 17% black unemployment when he took office to 5.4% now, and that is exactly what you are trying to convey.

it was 12.7% when Obama took office and spiked at 17% at the height of the great recession, and was 7.7% when Obama left office.

So Trump has taken it from 7.7 to 5.4%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies