Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 10:03 AM

13,734 posts, read 7,999,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Agree the team is the Country. The following may be off topic however promise to be short.

Some folks believe the most farfetched conspiracy theories, & the more outlandish the better. As if someone or a small group is the 'mastermind' in setting up a large complex plot, dependent on millions of willing 'players' united to achieve some nefarious goal. While at the same time apparently believing this person, or small group, is too incompetent to pull it off?

When all they really have to do is divide the 'team' or Country. 'Divide & conquer' is nothing new, not here & not anywhere; it's a well known concept in the studies of power dynamics. Introduce fear into the equation? Another well known concept in power dynamics: a chronically fearful people are more easily divided ... & then more easily conquered.

E pluribus unum was our de facto motto until 1956, we should re-adopt & take back our republic from those who seem to prefer a monarchy.

Desmond Tutu on power dynamics: "People with power have an incredible capacity for wanting to be able to retain that power & don’t like scrutiny."

Maybe I am too old because I tend to agree we the people are cutting off the nose to spite the face.
...The Left detests Trump for a lot of reasons besides winning the 2016 election and aborting the progressive project. But mostly they hate his guts because he is trying and often succeeding to restore a conservative America at a time when his opponents thought that the mere idea was not just impossible but unhinged.

And that is absolutely unforgivable.

https://amgreatness.com/2019/10/20/w...y-hate-him-so/

Yes, the country is split and we're seeing perhaps the biggest divide since the late 1960's.

But I don't see a civil war on the horizon. If Trump continues moving the courts to the right the Left will simply have to get used to it.

I was never a fan of Affirmation Action but hey... I danced to the tune. If in the coming years the Left finds it no longer gets their way in the courts well... that's the way it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 10:14 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
That's easy. There are separate groups as well within the black "community." Many blacks have reached what whites once thought of as middle-class status. Those are the blacks being counted for the high levels of employment. The rest are simply unrecognized and uncounted because they can't be - too many couch surfers, disabled, and in and out of the justice system to keep up with those high numbers.
One thing that hasn't been counted is the low workforce participation rate. Workforce participation has been dropping since 2007.

Old 11-16-2019, 10:26 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
...The Left detests Trump for a lot of reasons besides winning the 2016 election and aborting the progressive project. But mostly they hate his guts because he is trying and often succeeding to restore a conservative America at a time when his opponents thought that the mere idea was not just impossible but unhinged.

And that is absolutely unforgivable.

https://amgreatness.com/2019/10/20/w...y-hate-him-so/

Yes, the country is split and we're seeing perhaps the biggest divide since the late 1960's.

But I don't see a civil war on the horizon. If Trump continues moving the courts to the right the Left will simply have to get used to it.

I was never a fan of Affirmation Action but hey... I danced to the tune. If in the coming years the Left finds it no longer gets their way in the courts well... that's the way it goes.
I don't see a Civil War blooming either, advancing that thoughtview would be a textbook example of the idea of using a fear-based farfetched conspiracy theory to (further) divide the people.

On decision making:

Quote:
For example, people with something to lose tend toward conservative choices politically as well as economically. Nothing wrong with that necessarily. Just an observation about the influence of Loss Aversion heuristic on actual decision making. We are more apt to endure the status quo, even as it slowly deteriorates, than we are to call for “radical” change. Regrettably, however, when the call for change comes, it often requires a far greater upheaval to make the necessary transformations, or, on occasion, the situation has deteriorated beyond the point of no return. In those situations we find ourselves wondering why we waited so long before doing something.
Critical Thinking: what it is & why it counts

https://www.researchgate.net/profile...-It-Counts.pdf

Old 11-16-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Have any of the Trump supporters yet to provide trustworthy news sources that support the OP's claim of increasing support for Donald in the black community? No? not a single poll or credible news source?

Yawn.
Well, consider what the motive is. The whole idea is to gaslight. It's to say "look, some Black people like Trump. You're stupid not to like Trump".

Trump won the election without not that much support from Blacks. People not voting plays an important role.

It's not "can you prove the OP wrong". It's a matter of what's motivating the OP and others thinking alingbthe same lines?

Old 11-16-2019, 01:10 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, consider what the motive is. The whole idea is to gaslight. It's to say "look, some Black people like Trump. You're stupid not to like Trump".

Trump won the election without not that much support from Blacks. People not voting plays an important role.

It's not "can you prove the OP wrong". It's a matter of what's motivating the OP and others thinking alingbthe same lines?

And there you have it. Black voters have never decided presidential races or any form of politics and policy, white voters and politicians do. As of right now, white voters will elect Trump for a second term and would love a third if they could make it happen. Those claiming not to like the guy actually like him a lot more than any liberal/democrat candidate and certainly none of the black candidates are much to their liking. Most could not relate to and did not care much for Obama. Trump could be one of their brothers - even Bill Clinton they could accept because they could understand him in the same way as the brother that they just happen to fervently disagree with, and a thing like that matters whole lot more than anyone is willing to admit.

Old 11-16-2019, 01:19 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That's much more difficult to do: to go from awful to decent is fairly easy, but to go from decent to excellent is much harder.
Going from decent to excellent is not much harder , especially when you were already on track to hit it. Thats the flaw in your entire argument.

Quote:
Analogy: When I first learned to play tennis, I was awful. But after a bit, I got to the point that I could play a half-way decent match. But, try hard as I could, I just couldn't move beyond decent to "excellent." A much harder lift. (Why do liberals pretend they don't understand this concept?!)
We understand your analogy, it just doesnt fit the subject you are addressing.

Old 11-16-2019, 01:22 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Let's say for the sake of argument, that you have a perfect analogy here. That makes Trump 'bad' - how?

My TDA (which I could never have afforded a post-tax IRA despite the fact I am white) has doubled in value in just the few years Trump has been president. I have participated in the program for 18 years and never seen such growth before.

I am in a pool of investors that are diversified, and it might be argued that white people are a minority in the program. I'm sorry if I just don't get how race plays a role in whether a particular ethnicity has benefited, or even bothered to invest at all.

I know people of diversified backgrounds, that haven't bothered to invest in their retirement at all simply because they want their money now - end of story. Many of those people have much higher titles and incomes than I do.

I don't see everything in "Black and White". People have personal will. Perhaps these black males are having the same experience I am.
The context of this post is better posed to the OP of the thread. No one said Trump was bad in this context, only that people are giving him credit for something he didnt do.

They act like Black unemployment was at historic highs and that Trump took it to historic lows.

Old 11-16-2019, 01:43 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The context of this post is better posed to the OP of the thread. No one said Trump was bad in this context, only that people are giving him credit for something he didnt do.

They act like Black unemployment was at historic highs and that Trump took it to historic lows.
They act like he turned around the trend of Black employment gains. Anybody who was in office now would be generating all time lows for Black and Hispanic unemployment.

Old 11-16-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
And there you have it. Black voters have never decided presidential races or any form of politics and policy, white voters and politicians do. As of right now, white voters will elect Trump for a second term and would love a third if they could make it happen. Those claiming not to like the guy actually like him a lot more than any liberal/democrat candidate and certainly none of the black candidates are much to their liking. Most could not relate to and did not care much for Obama. Trump could be one of their brothers - even Bill Clinton they could accept because they could understand him in the same way as the brother that they just happen to fervently disagree with, and a thing like that matters whole lot more than anyone is willing to admit.
Blacks very well could shape the vote in some states. It has happened. Former President Obama won Wisconsin, TWICE. When Black voter turnout dropped drastically in Wisconsin, Trump won Wisconsin, barely. He won by a margin of 0.77%. White voters definitely decided the vote in Wisconsin.

Old 11-16-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

Welcome to Gaslighting 101. This is how it works. Someone takes a bit of the truth, leaves things out, and use it to make you feel stupid for not being in agreement with them. Black unemployment started dropping in 2012. Now, there is a caveat too. Black workforce participation rates have been dropping since 2007. Many people have dropped out of the workforce. Those persons might not be getting counted in the unemployed category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies