Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 09:11 PM

32 posts, read 11,807 times

Advertisements

We don't need to pay more for healthcare. We need to pay less. People say, "I'm willing to pay more every month for universal healthcare."
I've just discovered that we don't have to pay more. This is starting to sound like an ad, but hear me out. https://www.patientrightsadvocate.org/media has information on how price-transparency in healthcare can reduce what patients pay by 30-50%! AND it wouldn't cripple our economy. AND doctors wouldn't automatically be paid less. Plus, the current administration is also working on cutting out some of the middlemen that drive up the cost. You can find out more in this video.
Right now lawyers and lobbyists are blocking the executive orders that would benefit all of us Americans. The more people who know about this, the more likely it is that legislatures will join the fight. This doesn't need to be a left and right issue. It's the American people against a corrupt system.
As Katy Talento pointed out in the video above, we don't need a radical answer. We haven't tried a common sense one yet.
Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 01:41 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I think there should be a universal healthcare system and therefore Americans should be paying less for healthcare with such a system.

Old 12-02-2019, 01:58 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times
We already pay twice as much for healthcare as any other industrialized country. For worse overall health outcomes. In a system *designed* to bankrupt any non-millionaire who gets sick.

But we're told that Soshalizm is evil. By a bunch of fox-news-addled geezers who would be dead or bankrupt without Medicare.

Our medical-industrial complex is a truimph of lobbying and red-scare tactics. Works great for the wealthy. Everybody else gets the FOAD plan.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:29 PM

32 posts, read 11,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think there should be a universal healthcare system and therefore Americans should be paying less for healthcare with such a system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
We already pay twice as much for healthcare as any other industrialized country. For worse overall health outcomes. In a system *designed* to bankrupt any non-millionaire who gets sick.

But we're told that Soshalizm is evil. By a bunch of fox-news-addled geezers who would be dead or bankrupt without Medicare.

Our medical-industrial complex is a truimph of lobbying and red-scare tactics. Works great for the wealthy. Everybody else gets the FOAD plan.
Neither of you actually read what I posted, did you? WE DON'T NEED UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE TO PAY LESS! Healthcare costs are wildly inflated in the U.S. - Universal Healthcare would spread the enormous burden, costing way more than the U.S. is able to afford. Wealth taxes, like Senator Warren has proposed, have been proven inaffective everywhere they have been tried. And even if they did work, the revenue wouldn't come close (in conjunction with other taxes) to paying for Universal Healthcare. Transparent-pricing, however, makes healthcare affordable and won't cripple the economy in the process. Plus it weeds out the corruption of overpricing and insurance/providers backroom deals, etc.

Old 12-03-2019, 02:41 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
We actually spend almost enough on Medicare/Medicaid (8% of GDP) to cover the whole population already. A lot of countries spend 8% of GDP on health care and cover their whole population. Yet Medicare/Medicaid only covers 1/2 the population.

You want universal coverage. Make the existing bloated system more efficient.

Only 2 liberals I've heard have said anything sensible regarding healthcare.

1. Marianne Williamson. She basically said we don't have a health care system. We have a "sick care" system. We do nothing to improve things like food quality or push healthy lifestyles. Then we make people fat and sick with chronic illness. And then we take fistfulls of pills and/or other treatments and fight with each other about how much the bill is and who should pay for it. It's insanity.

2. Bill Maher (who I generally detest) has been talking about this for more than a decade. These quotes from the video sums it up: "Poor diet is the leading cause of mortality in the United States".

"In August, 53 Americans died from mass shootings. Terrible, right? You know how many died from obesity? 40,000!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm4TAdiEFn0

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 12-03-2019 at 02:52 AM..

Old 12-03-2019, 07:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotdotdashdashdot View Post
Neither of you actually read what I posted, did you? WE DON'T NEED UNIVERSAL HEALTHCARE TO PAY LESS! Healthcare costs are wildly inflated in the U.S. - Universal Healthcare would spread the enormous burden, costing way more than the U.S. is able to afford. Wealth taxes, like Senator Warren has proposed, have been proven inaffective everywhere they have been tried. And even if they did work, the revenue wouldn't come close (in conjunction with other taxes) to paying for Universal Healthcare. Transparent-pricing, however, makes healthcare affordable and won't cripple the economy in the process. Plus it weeds out the corruption of overpricing and insurance/providers backroom deals, etc.

Let’s separate this into routine vs true emergency healthcare.

No reason why one cannot shop for a very BASIC physical. Actual costs of a COMPLETE physical may however, be higher dependent on variables, age, gender, weight, lifestyle, medical history and symptoms, if any.

Best analogy is a routine dental cleaning and xrays. Price is known up front. What is unknown is what dental work may be necessary based on findings. No way to know the cost until your mouth is examined.

The general public cannot schedule surgery. Surgeon offices schedule Non- urgent outpatient surgeries with hospitals based on the surgeon’s schedule and availability of an OR. Once scheduled, the hospital needs to know the patient’s insurance carrier and plan # to estimate the price including patient’s out of pocket. It matters if the patient is in or out of the hospital network. Some hospitals allow certain procedures to be performed by out of network practitioners. Anesthesia is one of them. Ask.

It is increasingly common for hospitals to require the patient to cover the out of pocket before surgery is performed.

If one intends to shop, it will be necessary to first be seen by a surgeon who has operating privileges at another hospital and then schedule the surgery.

True emergencies are another matter. If you have a bullet in your chest or are having a heart attack or stroke, patients tend not to be focused on cost. Again, costs are dependent on variables, patient’s age, gender, weight, lifestyle, medical history and presented symptoms.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotdotdashdashdot View Post
What does “ insurance companies back room deals” mean?

Are you referring to in vs out of network contracts?

You think you have more leverage than say, BCBS?

Old 12-03-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
We actually spend almost enough on Medicare/Medicaid (8% of GDP) to cover the whole population already. A lot of countries spend 8% of GDP on health care and cover their whole population. Yet Medicare/Medicaid only covers 1/2 the population.

You want universal coverage. Make the existing bloated system more efficient.

Only 2 liberals I've heard have said anything sensible regarding healthcare.

1. Marianne Williamson. She basically said we don't have a health care system. We have a "sick care" system. We do nothing to improve things like food quality or push healthy lifestyles. Then we make people fat and sick with chronic illness. And then we take fistfulls of pills and/or other treatments and fight with each other about how much the bill is and who should pay for it. It's insanity.

2. Bill Maher (who I generally detest) has been talking about this for more than a decade. These quotes from the video sums it up: "Poor diet is the leading cause of mortality in the United States".

"In August, 53 Americans died from mass shootings. Terrible, right? You know how many died from obesity? 40,000!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm4TAdiEFn0
75% of US adults are overweight/ obese.

As such, most are more vulnerable to heart disease, complications of high BP, Diabetes, joint deterioration etc

Seems most prefer to blame throw than take personal responsibility.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:43 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post

Why haven't you moved to Canada by now? BTW I have AWESOME healthcare all courtesy of the place I work.

Maybe you could get a job there? Fair warning. That means you have to work.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:48 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What does “ insurance companies back room deals” mean?

Are you referring to in vs out of network contracts?

You think you have more leverage than say, BCBS?
I have BCBS.

It is far cheaper for me to pay out of pocket ($150) for an urgent care visit without insurance than to pay the "discounted rate" my insurer has "negotiated" for me (urgent care charges BCBS $450, BCBS "negotiated rate" for ME to pay? $269).

Explain how BCBS has "helped" me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies