Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 09:15 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Not all preexisting conditions are equal. Some are substantially influenced by personal lifestyle choices and some are in the ship happens category.

I am an advocate for basing premiums on the very basic lifestyle choices of enrollees, no diff than smoking. This includes public and private healthcare.

With sufficient lead time, no reason why those with waist sizes greater than the generous healthy range should not pay higher premiums than those who take personal responsibility. Why oh why are the “ My 600 Pound Lifers” being enabled by federal and state systems? A yeah, I understand these are mentally ill outliers being enabled by family and government.
I agree, and would include excessive alcohol consumption in the self-inflicted and therefore not covered category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 10:01 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
I choose to:

Own property
Connect to electronic grid
Connect to gas and public water/ sewer
Maintain credit cards
Own/ use electronic devices
Own and drive a vehicle
Maintain a drivers license
Buy local licenses for my dogs
Permit work on my property
Vote
Maintain a passport
Transfer risks associated with my health, my property, my driving to insurers in exchange for premiums
Buy medications, when prescribed
Maintain accounts at multiple financial institutions

I acknowledge my choices means my data is being recorded and stored by third parties who are free, subject to laws, to share data. My history will follow me.
Nobody needs the passive aggressive "I choose to live in a modern world" tone from you as if you are proving some point. That isn't the argument.

You even call it out in red that I highlighted above. Neither patients or doctors were aware or consented to this data being shared, THAT is the problem.

Old 11-12-2019, 04:11 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I don't consider property taxes to be a violation of privacy although I will admit I am very concerned with the direction the tech companies are headed not to mention how dependent many people are on them.
It's slavery at worst. Armed robbery at best.

Old 11-12-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I choose to:

Own property
Connect to electronic grid
Connect to gas and public water/ sewer
Maintain credit cards
Own/ use electronic devices
Own and drive a vehicle
Maintain a drivers license
Buy local licenses for my dogs
Permit work on my property
Vote
Maintain a passport
Transfer risks associated with my health, my property, my driving to insurers in exchange for premiums
Buy medications, when prescribed
Maintain accounts at multiple financial institutions

I acknowledge my choices means my data is being recorded and stored by third parties who are free, subject to laws, to share data. My history will follow me.
Are you suggesting that you and I can freely exchange goods and services free from any and all involuntary third party interference?

Without being fined, caged, or killed based on level of peaceful resistance of course.

Old 11-12-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Nobody needs the passive aggressive "I choose to live in a modern world" tone from you as if you are proving some point. That isn't the argument.

You even call it out in red that I highlighted above. Neither patients or doctors were aware or consented to this data being shared, THAT is the problem.
When social contract promoters say that the third party has carte blanche power over your life they mean it.

And mean it hardcore.

Scary stuff.

Old 11-12-2019, 04:21 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ons-Americans-health-data.html

I don’t think there is damn thing that is private anymore and that can’t be accessed by corporations even without your consent. There is nothing more personal than health information. Seems like our health is going the same way as marketing for a new car.

You can’t opt out of this new social contract. Is there any more living off the grid? I doubt it.
I really hugely object to this attitude.

This is a perfect example of a situation where if people keep repeating something long enough, it becomes self-fulfilling. Scott McNealy declared, “You have zero privacy anyway," and for some odd reason, people just accepted that. And I don't know who first said it, but when corporate heads and internet advocates keep saying "There's no expectation of privacy," well, pretty soon there's no expectation of privacy.

It's perfectly true that companies and governments know more than they should. But it's also true that one reason they do is because people are lazy, unthinking, and acquiescent.

I just went to a new doctor where the information form asked me my social security number. I left it blank. There are, in fact, all kinds of things that you can do to try to pull back. You can stop being so nonchalant about your social security number. You can switch to a more private search engine. You can use cash more.

By the way, I hope you saw my point about the Frontline program.

Old 11-12-2019, 11:03 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Quote:
Leidos partnered with the DoD to replace a hodge- lodge of legacy healthcare systems and developed MHS.

Leidos is no stranger to developing and maintaining technology solutions for the Federal Government in many areas.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leidos

Most rollouts, public or private, tend to be initially perceived as “ hot messes”.
I don't care who runs it. The system is HORRID and I know this by personal experience. MHS Genesis went live in Oct 2017 at JBLM. Most recently the system "had a glitch" and lost a couple of my prescriptions. The person swore up and down that I never had it until I pulled up my health record that is NOT military ran to show them. Even then they still gave me a hard time.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:26 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post

I don’t lose sleep about privacy issues because I choose to live in a modern society and understand privacy is an illusion.

I participate in multiple loyalty reward programs. One of these programs is with a local grocery chain, a brand within Albertsons. It knows what I buy, where I buy and when I buy. It customizes future discounts for the food brands I buy and sends me email prompts to notify me.

Albertsons uses third party cloud technology to gather, retain and analyze my purchase history. Oh no! A third party knows I took advantage of the Oreo BOGO.

All but one state maintains a prescription medication data base to combat doctor shopping, pill mills, fraud, and to identify potentially conflicted medications. All pharmacies are required to record each prescription in the database prior to filling. Most pharmacies enter script information into their own systems which then interfaces with the state. There is increased reliance on third party providers for retention,analytics and interface.

As it relates to medical records, HIPAA became Federal Law in 1996. it was enacted to increase portability of medical records, impose accountability for those records and combat fraud.

Most medical practices and all hospitals have converted to electronic record keeping. The early on conversions tended to be in house and were far from secure and prone to all the challenges of legacy systems. A few years ago, I received notice from a hospital that the security of my medical records had been compromised. I had given birth in this hospital more than 2 decades prior. My medical records, along with tens of thousands of other people’s records were stored on old PCs which were stored somewhere on site. An internal audit of physical inventory revealed the PCs had gone missing at some unknown point in time. HIPAA compels notification.

Moving records to third party cloud technology is far more efficient and secure than in-house storage and creates new opportunities to analyze the data. Reportedly, 80% of hospitals rely on third party cloud technology for record keeping and analytics.

Most medical practices and all hospitals submit claims for reimbursement to public and private insurers who in turn increasingly rely on third party cloud technology for record keeping and analytics.

Medical cloud technology has to be HIPAA compliant. Cloud technology created new opportunities for analytics.
And now AI technology......

Credit card merchant bankers rely on third party cloud technology.

Credit reporting bureaus rely on third party cloud technology.

Insurers have access to DMV records.

Property insurers rely on third party data bases for claims history.

As I said, privacy is an illusion.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Are you suggesting that you and I can freely exchange goods and services free from any and all involuntary third party interference?

Without being fined, caged, or killed based on level of peaceful resistance of course.
Small businesses and households are the primary employers of undocumented people as well as those who do not report income. They pay cash, avoid payroll taxes and don’t seem to concerned about potential consequences.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:34 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
It used to be that my main Yahoo Mail got more spam than both of Gmail accounts (one is more job-related and the other is more general). Now, I get more spam in my Gmail accounts combined than what I get with my Yahoo Mail. I wonder if Google sharing private data has a factor in this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies