Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2019, 09:37 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I wonder how many people in Idaho simply want to keep the state conservative/traditional and uncrowded?

If that is the case, I also wonder what would be the best strategy -- to let Californians (and possibly people from other states, too) know that they are not welcome (and possibly invite some scorn) or just keep quiet about the whole issue, if it can even be called that.
Well it didn’t work for Seattle and it didn’t work for Oregon as two examples. Idaho can try it too but IMO they are not nearly as appealing as they think they are. 1.7 million must be one of the lower populated states in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 09:39 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Statists are sociopaths.

"If you were king or queen for a day"?

You folks are getting worse.

Much worse.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:41 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
CA ruined CO and NY ruined FL. Now they are working on WY, MT, UT, NC, SC, and TN. They are like locusts- they ruin a place then move along. The thing they don't realize is that it is THEM that makes areas unpleasant. Their political views and actions change a pleasant place into a dump. ..
People who look for single scapegoats are intellectually challenged and have no real life experience in the matter.

I lived in Seattle for 25 years and, frankly, didn't know a whole lot of ex-Californians, in spite of the reputation that Californians were "ruining" Seattle and Washington, too. The state that people whom I knew moved from the most was ... Wisconsin. I must have known or encountered probably 20 ex-Wisconsinites in my time there. If you went to a Seahawks-Packers game at Seahawks Stadium probably 1/4 of the fans there were "cheeseheads." So blaming Californians for whatever happens in some other western state is little more than a crutch.

The reality of these western cities and states is, they attract young people from all over the country (but mostly east of the Plains) who are lured by the mountains, the scenery and the nice weather. I myself was one of those people in my mid-20's. I had a chance to go to the University of Tennessee for grad school with a portion of my tuition paid via an internship, or go to the University of Washington in Seattle with no special incentives at all. Which did I choose? The UW of course. Growing up on the east coast, the mountains and the scenery were too strong a lure for me to stay anywhere on the east coast. While I was in Seattle I ran across gobs of similar people in their 20's who were lured there my the mountains, the scenery and the general outdoors-iness of the place, from all over the country (but again, mostly from all over the eastern US, with the emphasis on Wisconsin).

The real thing that is "killing" places like Boise and Seattle and Portland and Salt Lake are the mountains, the scenery and the dry summer weather, not Californians. They're merely victims of their own attractiveness. That's what has already "ruined" California, I might add. If it didn't have nice scenery and nice weather, it wouldn't be so popular, and would probably still be fairly conservative.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:45 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Well it didn’t work for Seattle and it didn’t work for Oregon as two examples. Idaho can try it too but IMO they are not nearly as appealing as they think they are. 1.7 million must be one of the lower populated states in the country.
Yep, No. 40. (I was actually surprised it was not lower.)

But as far as how appealing it is, that is matter of opinion of course. One person's idea of paradise might be another's idea of hell. For example, I would absolutely hate to live in a place without a guarantee of at least some snow in the winter, but I know that millions of people disagree with me! Reading any of the Retirement threads on the topic of where to live in retirement is ample proof of that.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:48 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I dont think it is hatred. Why should states not be permitted to look out for their states best interest even if it means regulating the number of people that wish to move there?
Oh brother.

What on earth could a state do to regulate the number of residents moving in OR moving out?

Old 11-13-2019, 09:48 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
People who look for single scapegoats are intellectually challenged and have no real life experience in the matter.

Growing up on the east coast, the mountains and the scenery were too strong a lure for me to stay anywhere on the east coast. While I was in Seattle I ran across gobs of similar people in their 20's who were lured there my the mountains, the scenery and the general outdoors-iness of the place, from all over the country.

The real thing that is "killing" places like Boise and Seattle and Portland and Salt Lake are the mountains, the scenery and the dry summer weather, not Californians. They're merely victims of their own attractiveness. That's what has already "ruined" California, I might add. If it didn't have nice scenery and nice weather, it wouldn't be so popular, and would probably still be fairly conservative.
Well said, and I agree with the above 100%, even though I personally hate SoCal weather, as I am a four-seasons person who actually likes a lot of snow in winter and I would love it if about 25-30% of the days of rest of the year were at least partially rainy.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:54 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I wonder how many people in Idaho simply want to keep the state conservative/traditional and uncrowded?

If that is the case, I also wonder what would be the best strategy -- to let Californians (and possibly people from other states, too) know that they are not welcome (and possibly invite some scorn) or just keep quiet about the whole issue, if it can even be called that.
Someone mentioned the great migration to California that began with the the dust bowl.

California communities did everything they could to keep them out, calling the erstwhile Oklahomans dirty and lice-ridden, and rounding them up and settling them in "camps". Read up on it. Or just listen to Woody Guthrie.

It didn't work.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:27 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Someone mentioned the great migration to California that began with the the dust bowl.

California communities did everything they could to keep them out, calling the erstwhile Oklahomans dirty and lice-ridden, and rounding them up and settling them in "camps". Read up on it. Or just listen to Woody Guthrie.

It didn't work.
It actually started with the gold rush of the 1850s.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:45 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
And the Panhandle has some of the wooded beauty that some coastal states like to crow about, and (IMO) that beauty is more pristine in the Panhandle.
Idaho is one of the most beautiful western states and has the greatest acreage of forest lands of the inland west states.

Regarding the politics, most of the precincts in Boise city limits overwhelmingly voted for Clinton in the last presidential election and the goofball who ran for mayor (referenced in that article) only received 847 votes. Boise is attracting a lot of transplants because it is a beautifully situated city near some of the finest scenery in the west, is progressive, has a great arts scene, it is a vibrant growing city with a growing tech industry.

A lot of newbies to Idaho/Boise are also from Washington which is 2nd behind California for the number of transplants.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 11-13-2019 at 10:53 AM..

Old 11-13-2019, 10:54 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Read the article... prices are going up too fast and the locals don't make enough money. It's the economics.

His sister had her own business until the Great Recession, when she lost everything and moved in with him. She just bought a house one city over, the only one she could find for about $230,000, and, he said, it’s a piece of you know what. She works in a call center, rents out a room and works craft shows.

“It’s really, really hard to swallow,” he said, “when somebody sells their house in California for $700,000, comes here, buys any house they want in cash and still has money in the bank.

“Their kids get to go to college,” he continued. “They drive nice cars. And they get to enjoy everything we built over the years. We don’t get to enjoy it, because we’re working 40 hours a week and doing craft shows and doing yard sales.”

One salvo in Richey’s battle against newcomers was his property tax proposal, which he called Proposition Zero One Two Three. His basic tenet: The longer you live here, the less you pay. Sixty-year residents would pay no property taxes, while newcomers would shoulder the burden.
Ah, well I guess conservatives don't like being pushed around by freedom of movement and markets after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies