Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2019, 10:51 PM

33,074 posts, read 12,328,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
It is only voluntary. You just tell them no. Walmart admitted that they average a 9% loss on self checkouts. A court in my state, Missouri, said that they cannot force you to stop. I never stop. I only had a problem once. I told the man to get out of my way or he would be arrested. He moved.

I worked there part time several years ago. They tell the employees that it is totally voluntary.

Just like the "no carry" suggestion. Just another stupid idea that they can't enforce.
Exactly right ^^^^^.

Beer Geek may be thinking about 'shopkeeper's privilege', but that only applies to suspected shoplifters....and the merchant needs to have probable cause that the customer has shoplifted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So your Walmart experience may be because they are the only game in town. That is too bad.

I live in a community that has WAY too many grocery stores -- in a 10 minute car ride from me....I have three Harris Teeters, two Publix, a Green Wise, a Trader Joe's, a Whole Foods,, an Aldi, a Target and a Walmart. Add an extra 5- 10 minutes and traffic is good, you can add two more Publix, two more Harris Teeters, a Lowe's, a Costco and another Walmart -- I don't know how they survive.

That may explain why there is not the issue with lines. I usually can be in and out in any of those stores...except for when there is a hurricane scare.......lol.

I rarely get asked for my receipt leaving Walmart. Maybe once or twice in a few years.

I don't mind. I don't like to take a bag if I have one item and often walk out of a store with receipt in my hand to clearly show the unbagged item has been paid for......
I usually do that with bagged items as well at Walmart, and if I have multiple receipts I often have them fanned out in my hand. That may contribute to my not getting attention when I never stop.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:13 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,562,262 times
I've never been stopped and checked while leaving any store. But I don't eat junk food, so I never shop at CostCo. But people tell me I look fearsome and dangerous, so maybe that's why those exit checkers decide not to try ******* with me?

Old 11-14-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
It annoys me, too, and I've also been an uptick in this behavior at the area Walmart locations.
My hunch is that they may be steering what they have employees do/targeting the money they spend on employees more towards loss prevention, as the need for employees in some areas dwindles or disappears (they are starting to use robot floor cleaners/polishers in my area, rather than the people driven ones that they used to have).

Old 11-14-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
It's their merchandise.
Not after I've just paid for it. It's mine.

Quote:
They have a right to make sure you paid for it. Once you prove you paid for it, then it's yours. I always have my receipt ready.
Nope. It's mine right after I have paid for it, not after I have proven to someone (who doesn't have the right to ask) that I have paid for it. As has been mentioned in this thread, the laws differ by state, but they need probable cause to suspect that you are shoplifting.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:29 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,388,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Walmart creates their own problems. Here they got rid of most of the night stockers and went to one cashier between 10 pm and 7 am. The very next week, someone went out the front door with $4500. of electronics. about 2 am.The door person was on break with no one to take her place.
How much of the problems Walmart has are from their employees and how much are from non-employees is anyone's guess!

Old 11-14-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I understand, but my point is, even though people use the self check out, and they pass the item over the scanner does not mean they scanned it...

Oh, and there is also this...they just walk out...

https://www.al.com/news/2019/10/susp...olice-say.html

And there are many more, you can google it if you'd like, or I'll provide the links..?
If you understand, then what is the point of your post ?

Old 11-14-2019, 11:30 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,392,058 times
I don't think this is about shoppers rights. I think it's about shop lifters rights.
If you don't like the stores policies do not solicit the store.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Don’t like it, then don’t shop there. They have the right to check everyone’s receipt. It’s not discriminatory because it’s for all customer.
As has already been demonstrated in this thread, no.....they don't

Old 11-14-2019, 11:34 PM

2,495 posts, read 862,471 times
Leftists discovered Walmart and now want Walmart prices and convenience without Walmart culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies