Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 05:15 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times

Advertisements

Is it the law not to eat on a subway platform? Or is it a rule at that platform? Can you get arrested for smuggling m&ms into a movie theater or a bottle of your own water into a fast food restaurant? I would put those in the same category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 05:36 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Oh brother, can we just have a discussion not involving Trump? I mean seriously, grow up and stick to topic. Some of us are so sick of Trump we'd rather not have to deal with all the idiocy in every single thread.
Nah... I'm gonna keep pointing out the hypocrisy you and yours like to ignore so you can keep lying to yourselves about your real motivations.

And I guarantee when Trump's laundry gets aired, you and yours are not going to be saying ".... regardless, it's the law."

Old 11-13-2019, 05:39 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Oh brother, can we just have a discussion not involving Trump? I mean seriously, grow up and stick to topic. Some of us are so sick of Trump we'd rather not have to deal with all the idiocy in every single thread.
Sure sign TDS rules his life.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:40 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,213,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Kind of weird he actually got arrested for it. Was he making a mess or something? I ate all the time on BART when I was a time crunched college student, sometimes right in front of cops, and no one cared.
Me too....I used to commute every day on BART and ate my breakfast on it. It was many years ago I guess, so perhaps the rule was not in place or it just wasn't enforced as early as I was having my breakfast every day.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:04 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I assure you you or I would get a ticket
You are not supposed to eat or drink on the platforms

We have become a society where it’s not what is said and done but social status that determines enforcement
Nah, you probably wouldn't. I've drank coffee, same thing, probably hundreds of times of the years on BART. The chances are shockingly low they'll cite you for it. But technically you're breaking the rules and you MIGHT get cited. If you can't accept the risk then follow the rules. It's just not likely so you can pretty much hop the fare gates and eat your Buffalo wings and throw the bones on the ground and BART employees will just walk by.

Most BART riders, at least the paying ones, would prefer the rules just be enforced but they're largely not.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Me too....I used to commute every day on BART and ate my breakfast on it. It was many years ago I guess, so perhaps the rule was not in place or it just wasn't enforced as early as I was having my breakfast every day.
It's been in place since inception. It's just ignored by pretty much everyone. There's signs plastered all over nowadays which there may not have been in the '70s or whenever.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Kind of weird he actually got arrested for it. Was he making a mess or something? I ate all the time on BART when I was a time crunched college student, sometimes right in front of cops, and no one cared.
He wasn't arrest for eating a sandwich. He was detained for refusing to provide his name for the citation for eating a sandwich. Allegedly the police officer passed by before and told him to stop eating, came back again and he was still eating so he cited him for it. Since he couldn't get a name for the citation he detained him. No biggie.

1) Don't eat in the paid areas/trains.
2) When told to stop eating in the paid areas/trains, stop eating.
3) When told you're being cited, don't act the fool.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:20 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,213,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's been in place since inception. It's just ignored by pretty much everyone. There's signs plastered all over nowadays which there may not have been in the '70s or whenever.
OK Thanks! It was the early 90s FWIW. But that helps explain, possibly, the issue here. If there is a rule it should be enforced or not. Selective enforcement will always bring trouble and/or discontent. If 20 people break a rule and only one faces repurcussions for it, it will be an issue. And should be, because why that one person?

Old 11-13-2019, 06:24 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
There's California for you.

Openly break posted laws, cop attitudes towards police, then make yourself out to be the 'victim.'

And then gutless BART apologizes. Apologize for what?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bart-sand...004435035.html
I would like to see that foul mouth disrespectful punk talk to the police in Houston like that. LOL his arse would have been arrested instantly and hauled away.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
OK Thanks! It was the early 90s FWIW. But that helps explain, possibly, the issue here. If there is a rule it should be enforced or not. Selective enforcement will always bring trouble and/or discontent. If 20 people break a rule and only one faces repurcussions for it, it will be an issue. And should be, because why that one person?
I wouldn't say that exactly. People speed every day. Most of the time you don't get caught, but sometimes you do. Just how the world operates when you decide to break laws. Jaywalking is rarely enforced. It's just on the books for troublesome behavior.

Really depends on what the selective enforcement is based on. If the police officer walked by and told Mr. Sandwich and Mr. Sandwich-eating-banker to both stop eating sandwiches, came back and they're both still eating their sandwiches and only Mr. Sandwhich that's more of an indication of selective enforcement by race. If the police officer walks by and tells the banker and Mr. Sandwich to stop eating and the banker does and Mr. Sandwich doesn't, then it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies