Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 06:05 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
She needs to be spending this time with family. She is wasting this time for nothing. Trump is going to win in 2020. Then a Republican in 2024.

Yes, it's sad to watch. I feel sorry for her. The venomous nature of politics today is interfering with her peace and comfort.
"She needs to be spending this time with family", maybe even they don't want to be around her! Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 06:09 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Ruth G has only her vanity to blame. She was asked by the Obama administration to step down but refused.
I think she assumed Hillary would win so she planned on retiring during her presidency. I think she had visions of Hillary would nominating another female like herself and the two of them together passing the torch to a young woman like themselves.

And then that didn’t happen. Now she is holding on with every fiber of her soul. I would not be surprised if she died right after the election, regardless of who wins, much like terminal family members often hold on until a couple of days after Christmas or other important family event.

Old 11-14-2019, 06:15 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
pancreatic cancer ....the one-year relative survival rate is 20%, and the five-year rate is 7%.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:26 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Something to remember folks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_G...urt_nomination

Quote:
nominated Merrick Garland to succeed Scalia on March 16, 2016, but the nomination was stonewalled by the Republican-controlled U.S. Senate. Majority leader Mitch McConnell declared that as the presidential election cycle had already commenced, making the appointment of the next justice a political issue to be decided by voters. The Senate Judiciary Committee refused to consider the Garland nomination, thus keeping the vacancy open through the end of Obama's presidency on January 20, 2017.
So, I think I was wrong earlier. I think that if she does pass in the next 6 months or so, the R's will just be hypocrites and replace her and the D's won't be able to stall like the R's did to Garland.

Could have repercussions on some of the Senate races if it does.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:30 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
pancreatic cancer ....the one-year relative survival rate is 20%, and the five-year rate is 7%.
That's across all ages though. For a typical 86 year old...it's probably lower. However, unless someone is a raging partisan idiot, one has to acknowledge that RBG is tougher than the average grizzly bear.

I think that people get too partisan and the brain shuts off.

Old 11-14-2019, 10:53 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Something to remember folks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_G...urt_nomination

So, I think I was wrong earlier. I think that if she does pass in the next 6 months or so, the R's will just be hypocrites and replace her and the D's won't be able to stall like the R's did to Garland.

Could have repercussions on some of the Senate races if it does.
The Democrats started this with Bork and Thomas. McConnell has been waiting for this opportunity since. If RGB passes soon or Trump wins another term they will pay the price.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:05 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's across all ages though. For a typical 86 year old...it's probably lower. However, unless someone is a raging partisan idiot, one has to acknowledge that RBG is tougher than the average grizzly bear.

I think that people get too partisan and the brain shuts off.
Patrick Swayze looked like he never missed a day in the gym, and it took 20 months to do him in. Being "tough" doesnt really change the science or facts.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:08 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Purely depressing to see conservatives salivating over the prospect of this woman's death. Of course they would though. She is currently the only person standing in the way of the GOP effort to strong-arm society back to the 1950s.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:17 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,439,885 times
You'd think she would want to take time off and spend with her family, but hey, maybe the work is what keeps her going at this point.

I'm sure she will be forced to step down soon though. I would anticipate Trump will make a selection for her replacement in 2020.

Old 11-14-2019, 04:28 PM

1,138 posts, read 448,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The reason for the lifetime appointment is they are freed from politics once they have the job. There should be a limit but you could make it a very long limit, 20 to 30 years should be sufficient.
That's the sales pitch reason, but the truth like everything else is a lot more complicated.

Lifetime appointments are the ultimate payoff for loyalist who will always favor the ideals of those that appoint them. It is an understood quid pro quo that strict adherence to the philosophies of the President, Governor, etc. will protect the legacy of those that appointed them, and mold the government in the direction desired by them. The powers that be make this easier by appointing lifetime advocates of similar philosophy and the partisanship, especially in SCOTUS appointments and confirmations where partisanship isn't even thinly veiled anymore. But they could easily find appointees that would cut a deal for those appointments if necessary. Our government and judicial system is full of power hungry people who would sell their principals for much less than a lifetime appointment.

In truth all lifetime appointments do is ensure lifetime partisan decisions. Nothing is immune to the pressure of politics or above the reach of bribery. That is especially true when any part of government is involved. And, lifetime appointments are the ultimate bribe for those who seek power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies