Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 09:53 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
???? I'm sorry, but immigrants coming here to practice their religion without being imprisoned or even put to death is one of the primary reasons why North America was settled by Europeans in the first place.

People left Europe because Catholics were fleeing oppressive Protestant governments, Protestants were fleeing oppressive Catholic governments, some Protestants were fleeing oppressive Protestant governments, and Jews were fleeing oppressive Christians of all stripes. I have no idea when the first Muslims and Hindus came here, but I'm pretty sure some of each were here when the American Revolution was fought.
What matters what Europeans and Christian did regarding America? It doesn't pertain to the Islamic culture which is a long historical adversarial culture to the European's, Christian's and Jew's culture. Christopher Columbus sailed west to find a new passage to the orient in large part because the Muslim middle east was so troublesome.

Muslim aren't going to America because they're being persecuted for their religion. They're the persecutors where they come from.

I don't agree that the whole world in mass needs to be inserted into the American story. The left normally would call that culture appropriation or something negative if the shoe was on the other foot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 09:56 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
How funny, I thought we had religious freedom in this country. But apparently some people think that is just for Christians and it's fine to be bigots about anyone else, especially Muslims. Gross.
Not my Weligion! Waa!

Old 11-13-2019, 10:04 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
You poor little snowflake. You must need a safe space to hide from all the people who are not like you. Try Antarctica.
I think he is chinese.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:17 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
What matters what Europeans and Christian did regarding America? It doesn't pertain to the Islamic culture which is a long historical adversarial culture to the European's, Christian's and Jew's culture. Christopher Columbus sailed west to find a new passage to the orient in large part because the Muslim middle east was so troublesome.

Muslim aren't going to America because they're being persecuted for their religion. They're the persecutors where they come from.

I don't agree that the whole world in mass needs to be inserted into the American story. The left normally would call that culture appropriation or something negative if the shoe was on the other foot.
Actually, some of them DO come here because the brand of Islam they practice is not the brand of Islam that their government requires them to practice. And at least one Muslim family from India that I know of came here because in some areas of India, Hindus very much consider Muslims second-class citizens and erect social barriers to "keep them in their place".

I know you don't agree with me, but I think that accepting people from other cultures is as American as it gets.

My dad was first generation German, and German immigrants were once looked down on by American nativists. As of course were people from Ireland and eastern Europe, and Jews from anywhere. They're all Americans today, and the republic is just fine, IMO.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:26 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
I think he is chinese.
Definitely not. He boasts about being NOT an immigrant, from an Anglo background going way back. Which accounts for a lot of his "we were here first" kind of posturing.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:33 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Actually, some of them DO come here because the brand of Islam they practice is not the brand of Islam that their government requires them to practice. And at least one Muslim family from India that I know of came here because in some areas of India, Hindus very much consider Muslims second-class citizens and erect social barriers to "keep them in their place".

I know you don't agree with me, but I think that accepting people from other cultures is as American as it gets.

My dad was first generation German, and German immigrants were once looked down on by American nativists. As of course were people from Ireland and eastern Europe, and Jews from anywhere. They're all Americans today, and the republic is just fine, IMO.
I just don't see immigration from Western cultures and non-Western cultures as equivalent. For starters even Eastern European and East Asian immigrants and I see some of them around wear Western clothing and just fit in and are more aesthetic and not as loud and rowdy. I don't particularly care for continuous and high immigration levels regardless of where it's from. It's not about looking down on anyone.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:38 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I just don't see immigration from Western cultures and non-Western cultures as equivalent. For starters even Eastern European and East Asian immigrants and I see some of them around wear Western clothing and just fit in and are more aesthetic and not as loud and rowdy. I don't particularly care for continuous and high immigration levels regardless of where it's from. It's not about looking down on anyone.
The woman who is the subject of this news story is clearly wearing western clothes, plus a scarf on her head.

But I get it. You think that only people who already pretty much look and act just like us should be admitted to the US. I don't think that. I think that anyone who agrees to live under the US Constitution belongs here.

Old 11-14-2019, 05:22 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Definitely not. He boasts about being NOT an immigrant, from an Anglo background going way back. Which accounts for a lot of his "we were here first" kind of posturing.
Or some relatives from asia. Many people who oppose the immigration here claims to have "legal " relatives who followed the law. Grain of salt.

If its anglo, even more pathetic. They ll be the first to lose the culture war.

Old 11-14-2019, 07:20 AM

2,180 posts, read 640,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
How predictable with the usual Islamophobic crowd crowing about this. So would they like that if an Orthodox Jew was forced to remove his hat? A Sikh forced to unwind his turban?

You're right. Muslims should not be forced to remove their freedom veils. As the well known saying in the Middle East goes: "The more hijabs in the streets, the more society values freedom in the sheets."... or something like that. (I don't really remember because it's a rough translation of a Koranic verse I once saw scribbled on a toilet stall wall in Berlin.)

Indeed, I think we should be celebrating modesty culture as a profoundly important addition to our progressive societies. As the founding fathers wrote in the Declaration of Independence: "We can learn so much from religions and cultures who haven't contributed anything of worth to humanity for several hundreds of years."

However, hijabis SHOULD be reminded at every opportunity possible that they follow a religion started by a mass murdering rapist pedophile warlord who told everyone he rode a pegasus to the moon. The hijab is like the confederate flag or a civil war monument in the south. Visceral reminders and symbols of a slaver religion. The Sikhs thankfully don't share such a violent religious origin story. Their turbans lack the symbolism. Plus they don't go around causing terrorism and mayhem at 10-20X their representation of the population. So they're cool.

Once that indisputable historical fact sinks in the hijabs should come off voluntarily if the people who wear them have even an ounce of intelligence. But more often than not religious head coverings serve to prevent common sense from penetrating the cerebral cortex. Plus, these women would probably get beat if their male guardians caught them outdoors sans sheets.

Last edited by AHenriques1147; 11-14-2019 at 07:43 AM..

Old 11-14-2019, 07:22 AM

2,180 posts, read 640,204 times
Quote:
The woman who is the subject of this news story is clearly wearing western clothes, plus a scarf on her head.

But I get it. You think that only people who already pretty much look and act just like us should be admitted to the US. I don't think that. I think that anyone who agrees to live under the US Constitution belongs here.

How stunning and brave of you. How open and welcoming! I bet you have one of those signs in your yard about how "Everyone is welcome here!".... and you'll get to have that position as long as there are sufficient numbers of people who believe the same thing. In reality, it probably won't be until your grandkids or great-grandkids feel the negative effects of your hippy dippy bull**** policies in a balkanized America.

But, do yourself a favor: Go research what happened in Lebanon in the 1970s as religious demographics flipped sides.

Thinking it "won't happen here ever" is what the Lebanese Christians thought just 20 years earlier when they had a nice majority. Same people. Same ethnicity. Same history. Different religious "software" for the society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies