Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 10:49 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,924,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Taxis are monopoly services put into place by corrupt local governments to line their pockets.

Sorry but welcome to the 21st century.

Private livery has always been allowed fyi. (ie. Limo services and so forth)

Reminds me of whatever stupid state that is out east that won't let you pump your own gas.
Its not about that,its about the fact that when these companies were started, you could get in their car and the driver could have driven straight into a wall killing you, and no legal benefits were available to you or your family for medical or other bills because the driver wasn't properly insured to be a taxi.

Their business model was started by breaking the law. You don't have to agree with the laws they broke, but they took risks with every person who used their business and had absolutely zero care about it as long as they could make a billion $ IPO and become rich. Our useless government couldn't keep up with technology as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 10:52 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,739,121 times
Either is better than the taxi service so I'm good with that. I use Uber because that's what I have installed on my phone (and I never think to install Lyft until I'm drunk and need something now).

Old 11-13-2019, 11:14 PM

77,737 posts, read 59,870,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Its not about that,its about the fact that when these companies were started, you could get in their car and the driver could have driven straight into a wall killing you, and no legal benefits were available to you or your family for medical or other bills because the driver wasn't properly insured to be a taxi.

Their business model was started by breaking the law. You don't have to agree with the laws they broke, but they took risks with every person who used their business and had absolutely zero care about it as long as they could make a billion $ IPO and become rich. Our useless government couldn't keep up with technology as usual.
Nuh uh.

Now that we have equally sourced our positions, do you want to continue?

Old 12-31-2019, 07:49 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,741,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Uber, like their twin turd WeWork, shouldn't exist, and probably won't be around in another 5 years.
More and more drivers are beginning to realize that after expenses, (Gas, Uber/lyft fees, wear and tear on car, deprecation, not to mention their time) they are often better off with a minimum wage jobs. Sure some in some areas drivers can make a buck, like the tourist area in Las Vegas, but in most areas, when you drive a fare out of the city and drop them off, usually they have to drive back into the city with no fare. Uber and other ride sharing services are a niche market, in most areas of the country it's just not profitable. Where I live in Rochester, NY, you can get an Uber in the city, but good luck getting picked up 15 miles outside the city. It's not reliable transportation. I think once cab companies get there act together and offer Uber like pickup service, it will be the beginning of the end for Uber.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:51 AM

5,884 posts, read 2,151,393 times
Nope they will be fine. Uber and Lyft are awaiting self-driving cars to dump drivers for full profitability.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:54 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,847,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Either is better than the taxi service so I'm good with that. I use Uber because that's what I have installed on my phone (and I never think to install Lyft until I'm drunk and need something now).
I thought you lived in a dry town where drinking and dancing were against the law?

Old 12-31-2019, 07:58 AM

34,110 posts, read 18,357,935 times
Quote:
Not to mention that you can get uber or lyft in areas that cab companies DO NOT SERVE.

That's a good point. I had my car start to break down, and I was able to nurse it into a repair shop about three miles from home. At the time I lived in an outer suburb that wasn't served by taxi. I had to walk home. No big deal, but if I hadn't been physically able to do that, I don't know what I would have done. Now I can get an Uber or Lyft anytime I need it. Again, I think the concept is a good one as the Taxi system is a huge failure, and not user friendly at all.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:15 AM

16,934 posts, read 12,480,863 times
Quote:
Taxis are monopoly services put into place by corrupt local governments to line their pockets.

Sorry but welcome to the 21st century.

Private livery has always been allowed fyi. (ie. Limo services and so forth)

Reminds me of whatever stupid state that is out east that won't let you pump your own gas.
NJ and we love it. Especially in January.

Many stations do better because of it. At least the ones with decent convenience marts. More people go in to buy high margin items while gas is pumped. One guy can run about 18 pumps off peak and about 9 on peak. We are not talking about the old style clean the windshield service here.

Yes I know this does not include the small stations.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:20 AM

11,574 posts, read 13,889,963 times
Quote:

New Jersey.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:21 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,792,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Yeha it was a good business model. Start an illegal business (unlicensed taxis) and drive legal competitors out of business, then jack up prices. Airbnb, Uber, and Lift should never even have been allowed to make a penny on day one.
Thought you were a fan of free markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies