Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 07:15 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times

Advertisements

Charleston West Virginia has had a Christmas parade for dozens of years. However, the Mayor of that city decided that the name of the parade didn't sound inclusive enough so she renamed it to the Winter parade for 72 hours.

https://www.wowktv.com/news/local/ch...s-controversy/

We Christians learn of Christmas earlier than we can speak. The parties, the joy that the adults create in their children. Every so often someone comes along and spreads their anger like people on planes who yell at stewardesses for wishing them a Merry Christmas.

I believe that the Mayor of Charleston West Virginia was honestly trying to be inclusive, but when you take something that is uniquely Christian and rename it the Winter parade you now exclude the Christians.

Old 11-29-2019, 07:33 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Charleston West Virginia has had a Christmas parade for dozens of years. However, the Mayor of that city decided that the name of the parade didn't sound inclusive enough so she renamed it to the Winter parade for 72 hours.

We Christians learn of Christmas earlier than we can speak. The parties, the joy that the adults create in their children. Every so often someone comes along and spreads their anger like people on planes who yell at stewardesses for wishing them a Merry Christmas.

I believe that the Mayor of Charleston West Virginia was honestly trying to be inclusive, but when you take something that is uniquely Christian and rename it the Winter parade you now exclude the Christians.
Is it uniquely Christian? It seems that I remember that Christmas is based off of pagan traditions of Saturnalia and Yule. This was used by the early church to transform these pagan traditions and give them more acceptable Christian ideas behind the traditions. We really don't know when Jesus was born, some say in the spring, but this made up date of his birth was useful in the early church gaining political power.

Old 11-29-2019, 07:33 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,142,781 times
Good point.

Old 11-29-2019, 07:38 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:

Christmas is not "uniquely Christian." The Christians appropriated the holiday from Pagan celebrations and rituals already being performed. Same with Easter. The nice thing about this holiday is that it can be whatever a person wants it to be - either a religious or secular holiday.

And the name change is hardly specific to the parade in question. My hometown, Schenectady NY, which holds one of the largest nighttime parades in the country, changed its Christmas Parade to "Holiday Parade" years ago, as well as changing the day it is held, from Black Friday to the Saturday before Thanksgiving. That was well over a decade ago.

Old 11-29-2019, 07:41 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Is it uniquely Christian? It seems that I remember that Christmas is based off of pagan traditions of Saturnalia and Yule. This was used by the early church to transform these pagan traditions and give them more acceptable Christian ideas behind the traditions. We really don't know when Jesus was born, some say in the spring, but this made up date of his birth was useful in the early church gaining political power.

Exactly. They did the same thing with Easter - eggs and rabbits and the concept of Spring season being the time of rebirth and new beginnings actually have more to do with Ostara (the goddess of rebirth and fertility that the name "Easter" is based on) than on Christianity.

It would do the entire Christian population some good to take the blinders off and do some research on where their religion actually comes from.

Old 11-29-2019, 07:42 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
I just don't know how that is going to go over in Charleston WV. Used to live and work there.

Old 11-29-2019, 07:46 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Exactly. They did the same thing with Easter - eggs and rabbits and the concept of Spring season being the time of rebirth and new beginnings actually have more to do with Ostara (the goddess of rebirth and fertility that the name "Easter" is based on) than on Christianity.

It would do the entire Christian population some good to take the blinders off and do some research on where their religion actually comes from.
Yep this is true. I remember some years ago reading about the origins of easter. Pretty cool stuff. It honestly makes these holidays a lot more interesting to me, and makes them more inclusive as well. It would also do Christians a good deal to see how much of their religion is derived off of some previous religions in Egypt and Mesopotamia region. Think Mithros, Epic of Gilgamesh, Horus, etc.

Old 11-29-2019, 07:53 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
Quote:

Sorry, no. This is exactly what's wrong with much of the Republican mindset - teaching the majority to feel like victims. It does not EXCLUDE Christians. It just made the parade less exclusive. That's not the same thing.

I'm not saying I approve of it, mind you. I'm just objecting to the way you're characterizing it.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:42 PM

26,586 posts, read 14,454,648 times
Quote:
.... but when you take something that is uniquely Christian and rename it the Winter parade you now exclude the Christians.

christians don't have winter?

Old 11-29-2019, 10:52 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
How about having the damn Christmas parade. If it's not your thing, don't go.
Organize your own parade.
It's really that simple.
Everybody gotta stop tip toeing around everybody else. Have more than 1 parade.

Problem is, not enough alcohol.
That's why for Saint Paddy's day EVERYONE is Irish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies