Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 10:52 AM

8,265 posts, read 2,889,143 times

Advertisements

Has the media ever pointed out that Asians and blacks have the highest rate of mass shooters in the U.S. for the past 2 or 3 decades?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 11:12 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,039,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
A single zone walk through detector is a whopping 1300 bucks.
Quote:
funny that they use cheaper ones all the time huh.

https://www.amazon.com/Through-Metal...91742797&psc=1

Regardless, compared to pay and pensions for staff anyone of those are peanuts.

BTW there is a good chance some of the pages you are hitting were brought to you by me. I'm a programmer.
That's because liberals are pathological liars. They don't want metal detectors because what they really want is a complete ban on all firearms, period.

Old 12-23-2019, 01:29 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,727,636 times
Quote:
funny that they use cheaper ones all the time huh.

https://www.amazon.com/Through-Metal...91742797&psc=1

Regardless, compared to pay and pensions for staff anyone of those are peanuts.

BTW there is a good chance some of the pages you are hitting were brought to you by me. I'm a programmer.
Those look sketchy. They look super cheap. I work security and they likely all light up creating back-ups if someone hits and you can't pinpoint where to focus your efforts towards. These simple machines look to say clear or hit not where the hit is. A simple cell phone in a pocket or even a magnetized holster can set it off. Certain belts and belt buckles too. These can be easy to find or not.

Average school size by me is about 2.5k with a staff of 60 or so. At three mags at one entry point, it is 866 people to walk through. Average length to walk through get bags checked and walk through collect items can be 30 seconds in ideal situation with no belts or cell phones setting it off. It would take along time to get people in and out even with staggering starts. Plain and simple, it isn't feasible in existing schools.

The problem I have with the cost is that MANY districts already feel the pinch with working with less but needing to do more. Funding has been cut and fixtures need fixing, textbooks need replacing and buses need to be swapped out. Yet, the Districts don't have the money for that without outlaying money for a quality magnetometer that can pinpoint where a hit was. And the bulk of them for the district...

Old 12-23-2019, 01:36 PM

15,435 posts, read 10,359,984 times
We had several at one of my kid's schools. I've honestly forgotten how much they cost, but I'm positive it was under $5,000. Maybe they got a deal because they ordered more than one. Anyway, they worked great.

Old 12-24-2019, 01:52 PM

50,060 posts, read 46,579,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
We had several at one of my kid's schools. I've honestly forgotten how much they cost, but I'm positive it was under $5,000. Maybe they got a deal because they ordered more than one. Anyway, they worked great.
Yep, I've seen it too.

For the most part a detector works great as a deterrent. No one wants to get caught with a weapon on them so even the cheap ones do that well. Most schools don't have a problem so not needed but problem schools have that option.

Also:

Armed PD
High fences
One way in/out

But the blanket statement they are too expensive and don't work is pure baloney.

Old 12-24-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Yep, I've seen it too.

For the most part a detector works great as a deterrent. No one wants to get caught with a weapon on them so even the cheap ones do that well. Most schools don't have a problem so not needed but problem schools have that option.

Also:

Armed PD
High fences
One way in/out

But the blanket statement they are too expensive and don't work is pure baloney.
I have only heard of a few threats at a high school or two in the five years I've worked at my district. All have multiple entrances on and off campus. But they do have an armed resource officer. I don't know what to tell you.

Old 12-24-2019, 02:20 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,448,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
That's because liberals are pathological liars. They don't want metal detectors because what they really want is a complete ban on all firearms, period.

Most urban areas have the most jobs and thus the most people and trend Democrat. No shortage of metal detectors / xrays in urban schools, throughout the US. Districts in DC, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, LA, St Louis , NY, etc have had them since the 80’s- 90’s.

Earlier this year the Chicago Board of Edu approved a $2.4 million expenditure to replace detectors older than their projected useful life.

Generally speaking, it’s the suburban and rural schools that are more vulnerable, regardless of politics.

Old 12-24-2019, 02:27 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,448,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Those districts that can invest in bulk purchases pay less than $5k. The equipment does not last forever and needs routine maintenance, repairs and replacement no diff than airports and court houses.

Depending on the physical size of a school and number of students! 2-3 resource officers are necessary to monitor scans, observe and keep the lines moving.

Old 12-24-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Those districts that can invest in bulk purchases pay less than $5k. The equipment does not last forever and needs routine maintenance, repairs and replacement no diff than airports and court houses.

Depending on the physical size of a school and number of students! 2-3 resource officers are necessary to monitor scans, observe and keep the lines moving.
Yeah, but try telling that to anyone that thinks we need to live in a police state of high walls, one entry/exit, metal detectors, etc. I work at a sports venue running a magnetometer which is and I can tell you getting in say 3,000 people in takes 90+ minutes with three to four magnetometers at a given entrance. Even without snags due to belts or bad items. As for a deter ant, I think people over-estimate it. Can't tell you how many people bring vape, knives, non-clear bags, chew tobacco, etc. etc. despite them being banned items.

Old 12-25-2019, 08:14 AM

50,060 posts, read 46,579,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yeah, but try telling that to anyone that thinks we need to live in a police state of high walls, one entry/exit, metal detectors, etc. I work at a sports venue running a magnetometer which is and I can tell you getting in say 3,000 people in takes 90+ minutes with three to four magnetometers at a given entrance. Even without snags due to belts or bad items. As for a deter ant, I think people over-estimate it. Can't tell you how many people bring vape, knives, non-clear bags, chew tobacco, etc. etc. despite them being banned items.
Add another to your list. Assault weapons. There is no such thing and a ban is only symbolic. With that said how do we deal with this reality? Guns, knives etc.

That would be detectors, high fences, armed PD, limited access to campus. This is reality as you just pointed out. We have over 300 - 400 million firearms in the Country now. No putting that toothpaste back in the tube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies