Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2019, 06:47 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,995,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Well gee if healthier people aren't getting on the insurance rolls and republicans repeal the mandate then how would you expect the costs not to rise. The whole point of the program was to expand healthcare coverage, so that people would go to the doctor's office for basic care instead of the hospital emergency room. Do you know how insurance works? Also if states weren't complying with medicaid expansion they were shooting themselves in the foot as far as rising healthcare costs. If you don't let the ACA roll out into it's full effect and work as designed then of course you won't see the cost savings.

https://www.kff.org/medicaid/issue-b...w-august-2019/

We have gobbermint medicare that working people paid into they in turn have medicaid for the poor who are also on welfare in most cases then you have the VA people who sacrificed the most for US but get crappy care.This was designed to put private insurance out of business just like all Dimocratic policies of the last 87 years.Did you read that montrosity of a bill like the DonothingcRats did? Oh I forgot Nancy said you will know whats in it after we cram it down your throats!
Ponzi scheme collapsing on its own weight.
The Repub's plan for HC creating jobs,jobs,jobs with employer plans got it ...

Old 11-18-2019, 06:54 AM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
They think taxes are theft and anything the government provides for anyone that isn't them is slavery.
Taxes are the definition of theft. Something is taken from someone by force, against their will. If that isn't theft, what is?

The slavery thing is again based on what defines slaver. The most common definition is someone holding a higher claim on your life, liberty and property than you do, and enforcing that claim with force. The proponents of the social contract maintain that each of us born into debt to the larger collective because of the roads, schools, nice things the collective has left for us, thus the collective places a higher claim on our life, liberty and property than we possess, and this occurs at birth, which is apparently when one signs their social "contract."

To be a bit nicer about it, it's more like quasi-slaver as defined by Frederick Douglass. Our Master lets us move about freely, take whatever job we seek to earn our fortune with, etc, but a tithe of any fruits of any labor must be paid to Master, because Master still holds a claim on on the fruits of our labor that is above and prior t any we hold for ourselves. Master is the owner of us because of that higher claim. Welcome to the essence of the social "contract." That's what African slaves were prior to 1863 - "contracted workers." They too signed a social contract, since any who didn't escape clearly preferred their lot in life, same as any taxpayer now who remains in the country and doesn't flee.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:57 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
We have gobbermint medicare that working people paid into they in turn have medicaid for the poor who are also on welfare in most cases then you have the VA people who sacrificed the most for US but get crappy care.This was designed to put private insurance out of business just like all Dimocratic policies of the last 87 years.
Our healthcare system was designed to put the insurance companies in a stronger position, and they are doing better than ever, and so are the PBMs.

PBMs are ripping off insurance companies with impunity, and the insurance companies respond by raising everyone premiums. This would be very easy to stop, and this is just one example where there is a blatant error in the system which is costing the American public lot of money, and yet there is zero political will to do anything about it.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:01 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Taxes are the definition of theft. Something is taken from someone by force, against their will. If that isn't theft, what is?

The slavery thing is again based on what defines slavery. The most common definition is someone holding a higher claim on your life, liberty and property than you do, and enforcing that claim with force. The proponents of the social contract maintain that each of us born into debt to the larger collective because of the roads, schools, nice things the collective has left for us, thus the collective places a higher claim on our life, liberty and property than we possess, and this occurs at birth, which is apparently when one signs their social "contract."

To be a bit nicer about it, it's more like quasi-slavery as defined by Frederick Douglass. Our Master lets us move about freely, take whatever job we seek to earn our fortune with, etc, but a tithe of any fruits of any labor must be paid to Master, because Master still holds a claim on on the fruits of our labor that is above and prior to any we hold for ourselves. Master is the owner of us because of that higher claim. Welcome to the essence of the social "contract." That's what African slaves were prior to 1863 - "contracted workers." They too signed a social contract, since any who didn't escape clearly preferred their lot in life, same as any taxpayer now who remains in the country and doesn't flee.
The US makes it hard to flee, especially if you have assets. They deem all that you own as liquefied income and tax you on that if you dare to leave the clutches of their slavery.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:03 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Untrue. I am also in the technology industry (#1 for H1Bs) and I am non Indian and have been hired by Indian managers and also Indian recruiters. More than once.
You're the first IT person I've ever heard claim that. Are you an actual white American? In that case, you are truly the exception to the rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
True. I had a client in DFW and practically everyone there was from India. Software engineers, QA, business analysts, supervisors, managers, directors and even VPs are from India. Out of over 100 people, only maybe 5 were not Indians.

They advertise for open positions non-stop, which the H1B requires, but they only hire Indians.
Yup. I hear Hindi and Telugu more than I hear English. It's beyond rude. I work for a global company that also has a lot of German and French speakers working for it. I speak both languages fluently but I rarely converse with colleagues in those languages because I know the majority of people around me can't understand what I'm saying...therefore it's rude.

I did switch to German in the middle of a conversation (with a German colleague) when I heard an Indian coworker say to an American coworker that he "should learn Hindi because that's how things are going." After a couple of sentences, he asked me what my colleague and I were talking about. I responded with "maybe you should learn German."

He wasn't amused.

I didn't care.

That guy's an a-hole.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:04 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Americans are struggling financially not for lack of income or resources but because, by and large, they have no financial discipline. I'm constantly amazed at how many households with six-figure incomes are flat broke.
Here is a case in point

A $45,000 Loan for a $27,000 Ride: More Borrowers Are Going Underwater on Car Loans
Quote:
As cars become more expensive, buyers are getting hampered by burdensome loans

John Schricker took out a loan to buy a car in 2017. Then he took out another. And then another.

In two years, the 40-year-old electrician signed up for four auto loans, each time trading in the previous car and rolling the unpaid balance into the next loan. He recently bought a $27,000 Jeep Cherokee with a $45,000 loan from Ally Financial Inc.

snip
Stupid people do stupid things and then wonder why they remain broke all the time.

And I am willing to bet he spends $200/month on cable television with internet, everyone needs to play online games, and he most likely subscribes to sports channels costing even extra money. On top of this I am willing to bet he spends at least another $200/month on cell phone services.

What is the matter with saving up $5,000 and purchasing a used car from Gov Deals? These are surplus government owned cars and if you shop you can end up with good car with a pretty good deal.

This is one of the places used car dealers go to buy cars for their used car lots.

There is no helping stupid and if you gave the underwater guy above $100,000 he'd be broke again because he is stupid.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:09 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Anytime anyone buys a service/product from... oh, let's say... Apple (iPhones, iPads, Mac products) or Google (including Android products and spinoff services) they're VOLUNTARILY making the rich even richer. Don't like that? Don't buy their products and services. Donate the money you would have spent, instead, to all the homeless that are, as you put it, overrunning our cities.

FYI...
Apple's current profit margin is 21.37%
Google's is 17.45%
My parents made; Sears, Maytag, Whirlpool, Western Auto, Mattel, Western Flyer, Broyhill, Magnovox, Schwinn, Singer, World Book, Life, Newsweek, Time magazines rich and they never wound up in the poor house over it. My father built a house sold it and bought another and paid for it well before I was in high school. They had money left over for; music lessons for four of their children, Boy Scouts and camping trips for four boys.

If a man and a woman with as many kids as my parents raised had their jobs today they would be living in HUD housing and on Welfare. The jobs would pay no benefits, overtime, or pension and would only part time. Once it became patriotic to blame the poor for their situation it unleashed bushiness to view labor as the enemy of the state. Stop drinking the koolaide. All that money is still in the economy business wants you to think uneducated and unskilled people should live like dogs. So there are plenty jobs for people as long as you don't want to live nice.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:10 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yup. I hear Hindi and Telugu more than I hear English. It's beyond rude. I work for a global company that also has a lot of German and French speakers working for it. I speak both languages fluently but I rarely converse with colleagues in those languages because I know the majority of people around me can't understand what I'm saying...therefore it's rude.

I did switch to German in the middle of a conversation (with a German colleague) when I heard an Indian coworker say to an American coworker that he "should learn Hindi because that's how things are going." After a couple of sentences, he asked me what my colleague and I were talking about. I responded with "maybe you should learn German."
The days of the 'humble Indian' are gone. Back in the 1990s they used to be so humble and nice to work with, but now that they have successfully taken over, arrogance has replaced the positive attitudes.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:12 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
I don't feel sorry for poor people, 90% of them had a plan to become poor and executed it to perfection.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:13 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The days of the 'humble Indian' are gone. Back in the 1990s they used to be so humble and nice to work with, but now that they have successfully taken over, arrogance has replaced the positive attitudes.
I think the humble attitude was an act.

Also, most Indians who've been here for a long time (20+ years) seem to come from the north or northwest (Mumbai, Delhi) and are Hindi speakers whereas most of the new arrivals seem to be from Andhra Pradesh or Telangana. Those are the Telugu speakers.

I've heard north Indians talking trash about what they call the "Telugu mafia."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies