Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2019, 12:03 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It would be helpful for you to repeat or point out where your example was.
It would be helpful if you would follow and read along.

Quote:
I already answered. I can’t think of a scenario. Virtually everything in our life is a result of our own decisions. If you can, provide it.
Virtually, so then you can answer yes.

Just stop! God you guys are pathetic!

Old 11-18-2019, 12:03 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Do you know how they calculate real wages?
Tell the government at all levels to lower taxes and real wages will increase.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:08 PM

484 posts, read 197,625 times
Part of the problem is the high cost of living. A gallon of milk is almost $4, a loaf of bread $2-3 or more. People can't afford to buy groceries because the groceries are super expensive. I'm about to buy a hog, chickens, and a cow to put in my back yard. Might need 2 cows. One for milk, one for meat. ;-)

Old 11-18-2019, 12:13 PM

4,507 posts, read 1,862,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
My very good friend is a single mother who is now a widow. She in her 40s and struggling working part time at her father's mechanic shop. They are everywhere. How about moms whose husband leave or are abusive. Should they stay and be beaten just so they don't struggle or leave? Ever hear of woman's shelters or do you wish they just took responsibility and lived on the street 24/7 with their kids. I know they all should be psychic so they can tease out all the possibilities and make the absolute right choices. Do you really think people have this kinda insight into the future. Is it at all possible in your little world for some to struggle who are not irresponsible or at fault?
Your friend is not a “typical american”

There are less than 14million widowed persons in the US, which is less than 4.3% of the population.

Quit bleating that “most Americans are struggling” and then use this as an example.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:20 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Your friend is not a “typical american”

There are less than 14million widowed persons in the US, which is less than 4.3% of the population.

Quit bleating that “most Americans are struggling” and then use this as an example.
Was I talking about 'typical Americans' - NO!

Quit changing the goal posts!

It's simple most Americans are struggling - FACT

Not all them are irresponsible nor is it their fault - FACT

You want to answer the question as well, well you already admitted it so we already won this argument. Stop your guy's one dimensional and simplistic answer to these facts and stop the strawmen.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:24 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
USA is COSTLY. So? In Scandinavia social safety net is infinitely better than in USA with about same taxes (for a middle class).

Here is some enlightening read:

https://www.vox.com/2016/4/8/1138035...ish-taxes-love

Again, if not the weather, I'd be there long time ago.

Comparing the extensive American social safety net to the slightly more extensive Scandinavian one would make for a fascinating thread in its own right. However, that is not the subject of this one.

And if you think the respective middle classes pay the same in taxes, then you have no business commenting on such things.

Move to California. Scandinavia with great weather.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:25 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,218,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Tell the government at all levels to lower taxes and real wages will increase.
Oh man...why didn’t I think of this. It must be nice to have a simplistic world view. It makes everything so much more blissful.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:33 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Comparing the extensive American social safety net to the slightly more extensive Scandinavian one would make for a fascinating thread in its own right. However, that is not the subject of this one.

And if you think the respective middle classes pay the same in taxes, then you have no business commenting on such things.

Move to California. Scandinavia with great weather.
Obviously, you didn't read the article. The author pays 31% in taxes in Sweden vs 22% in USA, while getting way more services. Yeah, free college education and health care are worth much more than that 9% income difference. Not to mention near-zero flat fee property payment instead of property tax in US that drives retirees from their homes. Etc, etc.

No, California is nowhere close - it's just typical US state with higher taxes, but all the same problems like other US states.

And, please, "extensive American social safety net" exists only in your imagination. If tomorrow I lose my job, less than in a few months I would have to sell my house and live on the street, while totally forgetting about health care etc. In US if you get a problem once in your life - you are doomed for the rest of it.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:45 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Obviously, you didn't read the article. The author pays 31% in taxes in Sweden vs 22% in USA, while getting way more services. Yeah, free college education and health care are worth much more than that 9% income difference. Not to mention near-zero flat fee property payment instead of property tax in US that drives retirees from their homes. Etc, etc.

No, California is nowhere close - it's just typical US state with higher taxes, but all the same problems like other US states.

And, please, "extensive American social safety net" exists only in your imagination. If tomorrow I lose my job, less than in a few months I would have to sell my house and live on the street, while totally forgetting about health care etc. In US if you get a problem once in your life - you are doomed for the rest of it.
No I do not read trash like Vox. I read reputable sources like the Wall St Journal, the Economist, and the Financial Times. All better and more substantive than some leftist flapdoodle like Vox.

Anyway, as I said, this would be an interesting subject for another thread.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:47 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,555,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
But what about the roads?
Pay for your own road. Put your money where you mouth is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies