Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 06:49 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
What a comment. So your argument to me is: don’t talk about Trump in a thread that is about Trump and his seizure of private property!

The wall is a farce. It will do nothing to stem the flow of desperate Central American immigrants to this country. Walls fail. The world is full of walls that are tourist attractions now.

If I thought it would be beneficial I would be in favor of it, but it does nothing. This especially applies to a wall that will be as long as this wall.

It is a boondoggle. As I said previously, this taking is purely political. Something more suitable in Putin’s Russia then in the US.
It's the nasty insults that are objectionable. You write some of the nastiest stuff in this forum. Why can't you just discuss the policies and issues without flinging hateful labels on everyone you don't agree with? No, the wall isn't a farce! How many times do we have to post the links proving that the good walls in place already have been very effective before you stop with your denials? So you say the walls aren't beneficial even though the links have proven otherwise? That's some serious denial there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Because it's not true?

First, it's not a "wall". It's a fence. And apparently it is a fence that can be breeched by using power tools.
No, the walls Trump wants to build are not fences! It was Obama that built flimsy fences. It was those fences that were breached not the tall steel bollard walls that Trump is building. You've been hoodwinked into thinking so. Congratulations for drinking the leftist, media kool-aid.

Old 11-15-2019, 06:54 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Personally I dislike eminent domain because it is abused heavily.

Some of the abuses are ridiculous, locally we had an old hotel that fell into disrepair and someone had bought the parking lot. The local government formed this public/private entity to renovate and seized the parking lot through eminent domain..... for a parking lot. That was one of the most egregious example I have seen. That is something that should never occur.

Old 11-15-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yah think? How would you feel if someone came out and carved 10 ft out from your property line... for something you thought was ineffective?

How much of your property would you be willing to give up to an issue you disagree with? (please reference the amount of property you are starting with).

Honestly, I don't expect much honesty. My answer? None. To anything I agree or disagree with. I bought it, it is mine.
Something that "you feel" is ineffective in spite of the published facts? HUH????? I'm not a selfish person like so many in here. If it's for our national security and already proven to be very effective I wouldn't mind selling a small piece of my property for the good of the nation and my fellow citizens. What has happened to this country where Americans have foregone their patriotism for selfish reasons?

Old 11-15-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Some of the abuses are ridiculous, locally we had an old hotel that fell into disrepair and someone had bought the parking lot. The local government formed this public/private entity to renovate and seized the parking lot through eminent domain..... for a parking lot. That was one of the most egregious example I have seen. That is something that should never occur.
This isn't for a parking lot it's for our national security so why even bring parking lots up?

Old 11-15-2019, 07:06 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Let me think... Eminent domain or 50 million illegals... That's a tough one ... Not really...

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
We must recall that the southern border of Texas is the Rio Grande. The structure will not be built in the river, but must, of necessity, be set well back (some say averaging one mile in distance). The 1000 or so ranchers that own the majority of the borderland object to their cattle being denied access to the river, as well as being possibly denied access to the water for irrigation (yes, pipes can be used, but did I note the structure will be well away from the river?).

It is, in essence, ceding the Rio Grande to Mexico. The Mexican landowners will have full access to the river, but not the Texans.

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's the nasty insults that are objectionable. You write some of the nastiest stuff in this forum. Why can't you just discuss the policies and issues without flinging hateful labels on everyone you don't agree with? No, the wall isn't a farce! How many times do we have to post the links proving that the good walls in place already have been very effective before you stop with your denials? So you say the walls aren't beneficial even though the links have proven otherwise? That's some serious denial there!
Some of the “nastiest stuff in this forum”. What a load of BS. Your own biases are showing through. I have seen posts written by Trumpers that I would cringe if my children ever wrote that garbage. Read pro-trump threads before casting aspersions. Read them with an open mind. Name calling by them is apparently acceptable to you when aimed at those you disagree with. BTW, I have looked up some of your posts and hypocrite is thy name.

Now, as to the wall. Trump has built ZERO new wall. The wall is a political diversion. The wall will fail. The wall will never be completed. It is aimed entirely at his fearful base, and that is what Trump’s base is: fearful of invasion from poor peasants.

The solution is not billions spent on a wall but spent improving the lives of these peasants. Curtailing corruption, poverty, and drug lords will do far more than a vacuous wall to solve the immigration crisis.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:09 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...uction-report/

I thought the GOP wasn’t a fan of eminent domain?
Republicans have changed. They used to object to the government stealing private land.

But then they used to object to the government doubling the federal deficit, ...

At one time they had a fit about a President lying about a blow job. Dignity of the office and all.

At one time, Republicans would have objected to their Senators announcing they were not going to weigh evidence as their minds were already made up.

Republicans have changed.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:10 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
If the government has to seize private property the conditions for those who have to give it up should be fair. Not like last time when Anglos got much better prices than the Mexicans did.

Read up on La Lomita church. We are giving their land to Mexico.

This seizing property for the wall not as easy as some people imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies