Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 04:34 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times

Advertisements

Another poorly thought out joke, by someone thinking they are being witty, being made into a gotcha ‘confession’. Like Trump’s ‘Russia go find Hillary’s emails’, it isn’t near as funny as they anticipated, especially once the circumstances or time frame is taken into consideration.

Trump and Giuliani are two peas in a pod. They don’t think enough about the ramifications of their words when heard by people who aren’t their fans.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:05 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Another poorly thought out joke, by someone thinking they are being witty, being made into a gotcha ‘confession’. Like Trump’s ‘Russia go find Hillary’s emails’, it isn’t near as funny as they anticipated, especially once the circumstances or time frame is taken into consideration.

Trump and Giuliani are two peas in a pod. They don’t think enough about the ramifications of their words when heard by people who aren’t their fans.
I was under the impression that many/most conservative posters here didn't like that excuse. I expect they'll all be here shortly to castigate the folks defending Rudy with the same "he was joking" deflection. I'll go ahead and hold my breath while I wait...

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...admits-he.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ed-jussie.html

Old 11-15-2019, 05:23 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I was under the impression that many/most conservative posters here didn't like that excuse. I expect they'll all be here shortly to castigate the folks defending Rudy with the same "he was joking" deflection. I'll go ahead and hold my breath while I wait...

Good grief, don't hold your breath!

The "Geez, I was only joking. Can't you take a joke?" is a time-honored defense.

Not sure why it doesn't apply to Rep. Schiff, but I'm sure sooner or later someone will come along to explain. It might take a while though.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:26 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times
Quote:

I'm no fan of Trump and I think lots of people (likely including Rudy Giuliani) have lots of dirt on him and that he probably should be impeached... but I agree with this. It was a stupid joke made by a bumbling old man.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:27 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,398,802 times
Unfortunately, Giuliani’s reputation is lower than dirt. In other words on the same plane as Trump’s. Both are no more than thugs with a veneer of non-existent respectability. So, the fact they would speak to each other in mob terms, i.e. innuendo, does not surprise me. It is the language both understand.

Old 11-15-2019, 06:55 AM

26,563 posts, read 14,439,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
“I’m not, but I do have very, very good insurance, so if he does, all my hospital bills will be paid” just sounds like a trailing improvised quip ....

possibly. then again rudy has said some amazingly stupid stuff in the past to the media. i'm running 50/50 over whether it was a joke or a veiled threat.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:16 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

Things that make it different:
  • Schiff claimed that he was quoting someone else’s words, it wasn’t supposed to be a one line zinger. I’m can’t recall whether he actually flat out claimed he was quoting him or just heavily implied it, but he certainly left the impression he was quoting someone else. (Follows the same rationale as why posters here are not allowed to edit within attributed quotes)
  • It was done during an official hearing, not while he was extemporaneously speaking. It was planned instead of off the cuff, matter of fact he was reading off of a written report.
  • Schiff is not noted for his vocal gaffs, he is deliberate with both his actions and words being carefully weighed before he utters them. So, when he says something people automatically assume he means to say exactly what he says, in other words, he is automatically assumed to be credible. The New York not-so-dynamic duo with more power than good sense are blustering old men who speak first, think later. Like most people, I am automatically skeptical about anything that comes out of either’s mouth, just like I was with my uncle who was also notorious for exaggerating. There was no accident or misspeaking in what Schiff did.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:41 AM

36,508 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
That`s a powerful defense of the president. Screech TDS and run away. What else do they have?
what do you expect.
Is he going to throw you under the bus.
if he does I have good insurance that will pay my hospital bills

normal people=laughter
TDS=Giuliani says he has dirt on Trump

Old 11-15-2019, 08:44 AM

18,432 posts, read 8,268,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

TDS=Giuliani says he has dirt on Trump

even more lame.....The Guardian...epicenter for click bait.....says Guiliani says he has dirt on Trump

Old 11-15-2019, 08:59 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
Things that make it different:
  • Schiff claimed that he was quoting someone else’s words, it wasn’t supposed to be a one line zinger. I’m can’t recall whether he actually flat out claimed he was quoting him or just heavily implied it, but he certainly left the impression he was quoting someone else. (Follows the same rationale as why posters here are not allowed to edit within attributed quotes)
  • It was done during an official hearing, not while he was extemporaneously speaking. It was planned instead of off the cuff, matter of fact he was reading off of a written report.
  • Schiff is not noted for his vocal gaffs, he is deliberate with both his actions and words being carefully weighed before he utters them. So, when he says something people automatically assume he means to say exactly what he says, in other words, he is automatically assumed to be credible. The New York not-so-dynamic duo with more power than good sense are blustering old men who speak first, think later. Like most people, I am automatically skeptical about anything that comes out of either’s mouth, just like I was with my uncle who was also notorious for exaggerating. There was no accident or misspeaking in what Schiff did.
Meh. My point stands. "He was kidding" is acceptable when it's convenient, and isn't acceptable when it's inconvenient. This applies to folks on both sides of the aisle, BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies