Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 04:17 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,816,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
But you were given partial credit for, in the end, a wrong answer? That's the bias?

Did you just arbitrarily arrive at this conclusion or did you compare to some woman of color who gave the same answer as you and got a different mark?
The bias is marking one student down more and another student up more depending on the student's identity.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:18 PM

17,190 posts, read 12,036,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The bias is marking one student down more and another student up more depending on the student's identity.
Did you just arbitrarily arrive at this conclusion or did you compare to some woman of color who gave the same answer as you and got a different mark?

And do you know how "snowflakey" it sounds to be whining about not getting enough partial credit for a wrong answer?

Old 11-15-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post

And do you know how "snowflakey" it sounds to be whining about not getting enough partial credit for a wrong answer?
I'll give you one example. I know three people who copied and turned in the exact same work, the male who did the work got a C, a female that copied it got an A and the other person who copied got a B.

I compared a lot of things. It doesn't matter to me if you think I don't have sense enough to know bias when I experience or see it.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,647,297 times
Quote:
In hindsight I saw the bias in elementary school with the new age teachers who were educated after the 1950s mostly. But yes mostly in liberal arts classes that most every major has to take but sometimes even in science and math course work where an answer has multiple parts and partial credit. That's another thing, I always tested way beyond expectationswith standardized tests than my grades or educational level would suggest.
Hum. Might I suggest that perhaps you were "skating" because of your high scores rather than doing the work? I also always had high scores on standardized tests, but no one ever graded me based on those high scores. If I didn't demonstrate that I had learned what I was to expected to learn, my teachers had no compunction whatever about marking me down.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I'll give you one example. I know three people who copied and turned in the exact same work, the male who did the work got a C, a female that copied it got an A and the other person who copied got a B.

I compared a lot of things. It doesn't matter to me if you think I don't have sense enough to know bias when I experience or see it.
You're not helping yourself by admitting that you knew about a cheating ring. A person has to wonder why you knew about it and apparently didn't say anything.

And yes, some teachers grade harder than others. That's not new. It's also not evidence for individual bias.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Hum. Might I suggest that perhaps you were "skating" because of your high scores rather than doing the work? I also always had high scores on standardized tests, but no one ever graded me based on those high scores. If I didn't demonstrate that I had learned what I was to expected to learn, my teachers had no compunction whatever about marking me down.
Perhaps I was skating along but I noticed a clear trend in the grading I received based on the identity of the teacher. There were other signs of bias besides grading. When you sit and listen and observe a teacher for a few hours a week or more, you pick up on things even if they try to hide it.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:35 PM

17,190 posts, read 12,036,079 times
Quote:
Yeah, early on I would score well on tests but did poorly on homework or just didn't do it because I wasn't challenged and it bored me. I got bumped up to gifted classes and had straight As pretty much ever since.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
You're not helping yourself by admitting that you knew about a cheating ring. A person has to wonder why you knew about it and apparently didn't say anything.

And yes, some teachers grade harder than others. That's not new. It's also not evidence for individual bias.
The point is the exact same carbon copy work received different grades based on the identity of the student. And funny how the teachers that graded harder shared an identity, and gave people of identity other than mine A's.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
The point is the exact same carbon copy work received different grades based on the identity of the student.
The only way your contentions make any sense is if the same work received different grades from the same teacher.

As I said, some teachers grade harder than others.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
The only way your contentions make any sense is if the same work received different grades from the same teacher.

As I said, some teachers grade harder than others.
That's what happened. Some teachers grade some students harder and their other students easier .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies