Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2019, 05:47 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While you're busy attacking our president, you may want to get the facts straight. President Trump did not pardon Chief Gallagher; Gallaher was acquitted of most of the charges against him, so there was no real need to issue a pardon. Our president simply restored Chief Gallagher's rank.

As for the Navy's ongoing quest to still punish Gallagher, the head of Navy Special Warfare needs to be relieved of command and forcibly retired for insubordination. I am active duty. If I continued to try to take adverse action against an insubordinate contrary to my commander's intent, I would be court-martial-ed. And if the Navy acts to take away Chief Gallagher's Trident/SEAL qualification, I fully expect our president to restore the qualification and to terminate and retire the SEAL rear admiral who is leading the charge.

For all of the folks (especially military folk) who complain about the rule of law, they might want to start accepting the legal authority of the Commander-In-Chief and fall in line.
You're active duty and still can't spell "court-martialed" correctly?

"A government closest to the people serves the people best." -Thomas Jefferson

I.E., Chief Gallagher's immediate chain probably have a much firmer grasp of what sort of sailor the Chief is compared to the President. This is a publicity move by the President and nothing more. It's good luck for Chief Gallagher, but that doesn't make it the right thing.

From that NYT article linked above:

...The Navy also plans to take the Tridents of three SEAL officers who oversaw Chief Gallagher — Lt. Cmdr. Robert Breisch, Lt. Jacob Portier and Lt. Thomas MacNeil — and their letters have been drafted as well, one of the officials said.

Under Navy regulations, a SEAL’s Trident can be taken if a commander loses “faith and confidence in the service member’s ability to exercise sound judgment, reliability and personal conduct.” The Navy has removed 154 Tridents since 2011

Old 11-20-2019, 07:56 AM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Being woke or politically correct shouldn't have a bearing on a Seal's ability to do his job. I'd worry more about what the government agencies are up to.

Old 11-20-2019, 09:25 AM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Gallagher’s been called back to San Diego by naval authorities. Story isn’t over yet.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:11 AM

804 posts, read 545,587 times
So we are still stuck in 2001 mentality.........hurray

Do not worry I am sure that justice will be swift in order ways where the law fails.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:13 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
The age of Trump - Trump and those he favors are no longer held accountable for their actions.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:31 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
The Navy just cannot let this one go. Now they examining taking his Trident, but in my opinion this is just retaliation for his lack of conviction and getting his E7 status back. If they were really interested in removing his Trident, they would have done it a long time ago.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:34 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
So you are defending those who dishonored our country while serving and attack those who served honorably their entire lives?
Dishonored our country? Was that done by defending our borders? By standing by and supporting a strong military while also working to wind us down from endless foreign wars?

Old 11-20-2019, 02:37 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
You're active duty and still can't spell "court-martialed" correctly?

"A government closest to the people serves the people best." -Thomas Jefferson

I.E., Chief Gallagher's immediate chain probably have a much firmer grasp of what sort of sailor the Chief is compared to the President. This is a publicity move by the President and nothing more. It's good luck for Chief Gallagher, but that doesn't make it the right thing.

From that NYT article linked above:

...The Navy also plans to take the Tridents of three SEAL officers who oversaw Chief Gallagher — Lt. Cmdr. Robert Breisch, Lt. Jacob Portier and Lt. Thomas MacNeil — and their letters have been drafted as well, one of the officials said.

Under Navy regulations, a SEAL’s Trident can be taken if a commander loses “faith and confidence in the service member’s ability to exercise sound judgment, reliability and personal conduct.” The Navy has removed 154 Tridents since 2011
Oh, Lord. We have a spelling-Nazi in the forum

On to the substance of the debate: Chief Gallagher's immediate chain almost certainly has a firmer grasp of the sort of Sailor he is. In any event, there is a chain of command, and the President is at the top of it. Acting against his intent is rank insubordination. Like I wrote before, I fully expect the President to overturn any decision by the head of NSW to revoke the Chief's Trident and for the NSW head to be subsequently removed from duty for insubordination.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:39 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Presidential pardons are stupid regardless of party and should be abolished.
You'll get your wish if you convince 2/3 of each house of Congress and 3/4 of the states. Not bloody likely.

Old 11-21-2019, 04:38 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
So Trump abandons our Kurdish allies to be massacred by the Turks, turns over our military bases and equipment in Syria to the Russians, and pardons war criminals.

I'm a little unclear on how this is in our national interest.

Could one of the MAGAts please explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies