Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 11:54 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
No, many people, parents, doctors, etc. assign sex based upon genital expression. Where the hell have you been!

Who said transgenderism has to do with Karyo types? Transgender is a person who does not align how they psychologically feel, gender identity, with their biological gender or gender/sex assignment or expression. Biological sex is not just about karyo types but also genitalia development and hormonal issues.
.......assign sex based on genital expression?

Nope, the Dr just tells us if it is a boy or a girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 11:56 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
.......assign sex based on genital expression?

Nope, the Dr just tells us if it is a boy or a girl.
Based on what?

Old 11-17-2019, 11:59 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Honest question. I am a 27 year old LGBT college grad Democrat and to this day, I have never met a single genders studies student or grad.

Where are all you conservatives finding these people and claiming to know them so well ?

I genuinely dont believe any of you have this broad of friend groups when I see your posts on this site, or you are mousy in reality and never voice these same opinions in their presence.
Lol... I actually did know quite a few people like that at the Vermont college I attended in the '80s. I never personally encounter gender studies types these days. But there's this thing called the Internet now where you can find out what people think and how they express themselves without ever meeting them.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:11 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Yep!

The earliest known gender-related use of the prefix in any language was in a 1914 German-language book on sexology. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the earliest use of the prefix in the context of gender in English dates from 1994.
Which when you think about it, makes perfect sense. If you're writing a scientific paper about gender identity, you need a word to distinguish the majority from transgendered folks. "Normal" or "non-transgender" isn't terribly scientific - hence, cisgender.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:16 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Assigned sex?

No, you are not assigned a sex, you ARE a sex. Are you an XY individual or an XX? (and yes, I am aware of the minuscule number of anomalies that exist, which have nothing to do with transgenderism)
Do the medical staff in birthing rooms typically perform genetic tests on newborns to identify their sex or do they simply look at the genitalia of the baby?

Now, that visual indicator is almost always correct, but it's not 100%. So, yes, you are "assigned" a sex at birth. Chances are overwhelming that they were right when they assigned it, but not always.

Then there are the small percentage of folks that don't "feel" like the gender that lines up with their genetics and genitalia.

I can't imagine what an awful situation that must be, honestly.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:50 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Which when you think about it, makes perfect sense. If you're writing a scientific paper about gender identity, you need a word to distinguish the majority from transgendered folks. "Normal" or "non-transgender" isn't terribly scientific - hence, cisgender.

Yep, and it is a natural usage of the prefix given its other scientific usages and of course being Latin - got have that Latin.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:30 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Lol... I actually did know quite a few people like that at the Vermont college I attended in the '80s. I never personally encounter gender studies types these days. But there's this thing called the Internet now where you can find out what people think and how they express themselves without ever meeting them.
Yes, you can find people on the internet. But again, I am a LGBT liberal democrat college grad who is all over left wing media and social media and I still have never seen these people. What website are you finding them on ?

Old 11-20-2019, 01:20 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Yes, you can find people on the internet. But again, I am a LGBT liberal democrat college grad who is all over left wing media and social media and I still have never seen these people. What website are you finding them on ?
The New York Times? City-Data? Come on, ideas originating with gender studies academics are everywhere now. They permeate Western media.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:40 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Based on what?
Don't play dumb. The vast majority of people are talking about one's sex when they say "boy or girl, man or woman, male or female." So it is based on genitals, since sex is binary and the vast majority of people are simply male or female with no intersex condition. They are not talking about one's "gender identity, how they feel inside." That words have been redefined (sex and gender to mean the same thing) doesn't change that.

Old 11-21-2019, 07:56 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The New York Times? City-Data? Come on, ideas originating with gender studies academics are everywhere now. They permeate Western media.
NO, they really dont. Every post in this thread about the subject comes from a Conservative making a joke or claiming to know someone. Not a single post from an actual Gender Studies major. Hence, the reason I made my statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies