Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 05:31 PM

661 posts, read 518,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I think a lot of real fiscal conservatives are declaring themselves 'independent'. The party has abandoned their principles and BTW put an embarrassment in the white house. Their very presence in the public marketplace of ideas will have the effect of pulling the Democrats in their direction a bit, moderating them.

The social and/or religious conservatives are a mixed bag. Many are not actually fiscally conservative, or don't understand it well. We see efforts to keep the protestant religious conservatives in line such as that pastor Jeffress's claim that we risk civil war, and that other claim from pastor Rohrer that if we don't re-elect Trump the nation would "suffer the final fury and wrath of God". Pretty stern stuff, but all BS. Some (many, perhaps most) social conservatives are not very religious, so that wouldn't necessarily influence them, but co-ed bathrooms could send them through the roof.

Myself I consider agreeing with social conservative opinions, I'm not very outwardly religious though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 06:13 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,610,245 times
Someone list out 10 names - "conservatives" who would be leaders in such a party????

From what I see, conservatives want more debt, more pollution, more division, white-male dominance and religion in our government....among other things.

There is already such a party. Republican.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:12 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,609,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Someone list out 10 names - "conservatives" who would be leaders in such a party????

From what I see, conservatives want more debt, more pollution, more division, white-male dominance and religion in our government....among other things.

There is already such a party. Republican.
That's the neocon party that the Republicans have morphed into. Let me give you a different picture.

I grew up in a conservative community, run by WWII veterans who were interested in building the future of America. They built water projects that attracted industry to the area. They built sewage treatment plants to clean up the streams and rivers. They spent public money sensibly, understanding that the bill always comes due, but they were not shy about funding the future. They had vision.

Conservatives once gave short shrift to criminals. Follow the law. If you don't like the law, change it, but you don't get to disregard the law because you disagree with it.

Religion was a matter of personal belief and improvement, not a political problem. Conservatives passed a law that any church engaging in political campaigns would forfeit its tax exempt status. That law is still on the books, but not being enforced. No conservative would tolerate that, but the neocons love it.

America desperately need a conservative political party, but right now it doesn't have one.

Old 11-24-2019, 05:58 PM

661 posts, read 518,456 times
Do you think the other alternative is any more tolerant than conservatives about religion and social subjects? That you would even vote for them instead of the less evil conservative candidates? The leadership may not be truly great anymore but at least I like the conservatives better philosophically. I am not tolerant of the faces on the left and Democratic party.

I don't know if what I said above actually applies to you but if it does, wake the hell up dude.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:33 PM

18,453 posts, read 9,090,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That's the neocon party that the Republicans have morphed into. Let me give you a different picture.

I grew up in a conservative community, run by WWII veterans who were interested in building the future of America. They built water projects that attracted industry to the area. They built sewage treatment plants to clean up the streams and rivers. They spent public money sensibly, understanding that the bill always comes due, but they were not shy about funding the future. They had vision.

Conservatives once gave short shrift to criminals. Follow the law. If you don't like the law, change it, but you don't get to disregard the law because you disagree with it.

Religion was a matter of personal belief and improvement, not a political problem. Conservatives passed a law that any church engaging in political campaigns would forfeit its tax exempt status. That law is still on the books, but not being enforced. No conservative would tolerate that, but the neocons love it.

America desperately need a conservative political party, but right now it doesn't have one.
America does have a conservative party: the Democrats

We also have a far-right party made up of theocrats, anti-government loons, and white nationalists: the Republicans

We desperately need a Labor Party or Social Democracy Party, but we do not have one. We may never have one, since we are a nation of temporarily embarrassed billionaires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies