Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should President Trump pardon Roger Stone?
Yes 32 29.09%
No 78 70.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 04:42 PM

37,218 posts, read 19,210,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
If you say so.
Don't believe me. Google it. Then come back and tell us what you found out.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:43 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Don't believe me. Google it.
I do not believe hardly anything that you say. You google it.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:46 PM

26,582 posts, read 14,449,955 times
Quote:
How many people have spent years in jail for contempt of court? I am not aware of any. If there are any, it is not very many. That is a fact.

https://blogs.wsj.com/law/2009/07/14...fter-14-years/

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/16/business/16jail.html?mtrref=search.yahoo.com&gwh=7515DD8B24 13292EC994829AA213B8F6&gwt=pay&assetType=REGIWAL

Old 11-16-2019, 04:54 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,951 times
He shouldn't be pardoned but it is virtually guaranteed he will be pardoned. Trump is setting lots of tantalizing precedent for the next Democrat president.

Old 11-16-2019, 05:03 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
How many people have spent years in jail for contempt of court? I am not aware of any. If there are any, it is not very many. That is a fact.
It is pretty rare. But it happens. (Civil contempt of court, obviously.) From the fact that you're posting, I assume that you're connected to the Internet and has access to one or several search engines. Yoi can cehck out Jacqueline Louise Bouknight.

Old 11-16-2019, 05:16 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,577 times
In both of those cases the people weren't jailed for failure to testify but for hiding millions of dollars they claimed to not have and the court ordered them to produce.

Others have been jailed for years for hiding children in custody disputes,not relevant here.

Bradley/Chelsea Manning has been jailed for refusing to testify against the WikiLeaks founder.In cases like that you can be jailed until the Grand Jury in question finishes their work.If another Grand Jury is convened you can be re-jailed as was the case with Manning.

Susan McDougal iirc was jailed for a good while for refusing to testify against the Clintons during the Whitewater investigation.

I'm sure there are others.I don't think anyone can be held for failure to testify once a case is finished,but some cases drag on for years.

Old 11-16-2019, 05:42 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
In any case, Stone left the Trump campaign early, on August 8, 2015. So the only thing that the Mueller goons were interested in with Stone was finding a way to manipulate him into testifying against Trump.

The Mueller investigation team was made up of 12 rabidly partisan Democrat left attack dog lawyers. Mueller apparently was not very much involved, as his testimony sadly indicated. It does not appear that he even read the final report, much less served as the chief author of it.

Say what you like, that chapter is not going to be opened up again. If it was going to be, the House would be pursuing impeachment against Trump based on the findings of the Mueller Report right now.

But the Democrats in the House are not doing that, because the Russia hoax was pursued as thoroughly as it reasonably could be by the Democrat attack dog lawyers that made up the Mueller investigation team and the Democrats in the House have apparently accepted that the Mueller investigation did not come up with anything that the Democrats in Congress believe is a sufficient justification to base an impeachment vote on.

If there was anything impeachable in the Mueller report, the Democrats would currently be pursuing impeachment based on it. They are not. Case closed.

As far as Roger Stone, there really is nothing further for him to worry about on that front. That disgraceful chapter in our nation's history is closed - except of course for the investigation into the investigators and the deep state collaborators, which is currently being conducted by US Attorney John Durham and AG Bill Barr.

All Trump needs to be concerned about in considering whether he wants to pardon Roger Stone is the electoral politics. And all Trump needs to do to mitigate that is to wait until after the election before pardoning Stone.

Old 11-16-2019, 06:11 PM

26,582 posts, read 14,449,955 times
Quote:
In any case, Stone left the Trump campaign early, on August 8, 2015.

rick gates, steve bannon and phone records testified during the trial that stone continued to work with the campaign.

Old 11-16-2019, 06:15 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
Quote:
An "official" petition has been started in support of getting President Trump to pardon Roger Stone. Apparently if the petition gets 100,000 signatares within 30 days, the White House is required by law to "respond" to the petition. It does not follow that they have to grant the request of the petition if that happens.

I have mixed feelings about this.

Roger Stone did apparently lie to Congress repeatedly. That being said, so did Hillary Clinton and countless other Democrat supporrting people, who conveniently either have not been held accountable for their actions, or have actually been given immunity agreements, in order to make them literally above the law.

At the same time, the only reason that Roger Stone has been put in this position is because he was collateral damage in the Democrat left deep state coup attempt against President Trump. So the charges against him were political, as would be the pardon, if one is forth coming.

What do you think?

Forget your political tribe for a minute while thinking about and answering this question. If you support the Democrat left and someone had found themselves in a spot like this because they were associated with Barack Obama, would you have been OK with Obama pardoning that person? I think you probably would have.

And if you are interested, you can sign the petition at the link above.
As to what I think - it's difficult to discuss this when there are people who are convinced that Hillary and Obama and every high-level Dem (plus people like Comey and Mueller) are all flagrant liars.

In Roger Stone's case, maybe part of his problem is his life-long sleazy record. He's actually proud of his expertise in dirty tricks.

Old 11-16-2019, 06:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
OTOH, Manafort still rots. So does Cohen.

They both committed substantial crimes. Stone's only crime was to lie about a legal activity. If he had taken the Hillary example and simply repeated "I don't recall" 72 times he never would of been prosecuted. I'm not trying to justify his conduct but this is hardly something that would deserve a lengthy prison sentence if any at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies