Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 09:28 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Why? Because unlike with alcohol, it's a lot harder to determine if a worker is on pot?
Really. I got quite a few conductors fired for being stoners. So unlike alcohol, dope remains in the system for far longer.

So you are ok with stoners being airline pilots, bus drivers driving your kids to school, driving mile long oil trains, navigating tankers of oil in restricted waters.

Whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 11:16 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
It might pass the House.

It is DOA in the Senate as long as turtle is in charge.

If we get a D senate and POTUS in 2020, then it might be possible.
I highly doubt that! What happened when obama was in office, why didnt they dissolve the war on drugs then, when they had the perfect opportunity?

And even worse, not only did they not do that, it was during Obamas term that all the new laws on Opioid prescription drugs went into effect, so it was during the democrats term that some of the toughest drug laws were created...this doesnt exactly convey the message that the dems are against the war on drugs!

Old 11-17-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Sen. McConnel is nearly 78 years old. Hopefully, he won't still be there in 15-20 years.
IF he supports drug laws and the war on drugs...he is on the drug cartels side then, as they do not want any drug legalized either, Im sure they give money and buy politicians to make sure laws like this do not pass.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:30 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Cross your fingers, and hope this passes, it looks like they have the needed votes according to what Ive been reading.

Whats great about this bill, it will also set many people in prison free and expunge their records, it will also prohibit employers from holding marijuana use against their employees in anyway.

If this passes and is enacted, you'll know that we really are going to Hell in a handbasket. But would Trump sign it and enrage his base of supporters?

Old 11-17-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If this passes and is enacted, you'll know that we really are going to Hell in a handbasket. But would Trump sign it and enrage his base of supporters?
So, you support the foreign drug cartels then?

Without tough US drug laws, the cartels would not be as successful as they are today, they dont want to see any drugs legalized either, that only takes business away from them.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:51 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Really. I got quite a few conductors fired for being stoners. So unlike alcohol, dope remains in the system for far longer.

So you are ok with stoners being airline pilots, bus drivers driving your kids to school, driving mile long oil trains, navigating tankers of oil in restricted waters.

Whatever.
No, but I won't be surprised just having THC in your blood while showing no sign of being high can be used as grounds for a firing much longer. As more legalization goes on, such a removal policy will make it too hard to keep enough workers. After all, you said you got quite a few conductors fired. If airline pilots and conductors can have a beer or more on days off, why not a joint?

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 11-18-2019 at 12:43 AM..

Old 11-18-2019, 12:00 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
So, you support the foreign drug cartels then?

Without tough US drug laws, the cartels would not be as successful as they are today, they dont want to see any drugs legalized either, that only takes business away from them.

I suppose you're going to claim that legalizing recreational drugs would result in a decrease in their use? In fact, in those lawless states where marijuana has been "legalized", including my own, its use has greatly increased. And also in those states, it has stimulated the illegal production and sales of it, which is higher than the legal sales. There are now many more impaired, pot-smoking drivers on the road in those states, endangering the lives of everyone. The very core of our society's system of values would be trashed, if we legalize such drugs. The drug-dealing criminal gangs will continue, regardless of marijuana legalization.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
I bet residents in the states where rec marijuana is legal would disagree. I live in a state with the most liberal medical marijuana program. One just needs to go to a doctor to obtain a doctor's recommendation and apply for a $100 patient permit from the the state health department or $20, if on Medicaid. Unlike other states, there no list of restricted ailments covered. Licenses for 36 med marijuana dispensaries have been granted for my town. I can't tell the town is going to hell in a hand basket.

I bet the majority of Trump supporters support legalization of rec marijuana.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:12 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Cross your fingers, and hope this passes, it looks like they have the needed votes according to what Ive been reading.

Whats great about this bill, it will also set many people in prison free and expunge their records, it will also prohibit employers from holding marijuana use against their employees in anyway.
There is ample evidence that marijuana messes with your head.

This is why I don’t support legalization.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
I suppose you're going to claim that legalizing recreational drugs would result in a decrease in their use? In fact, in those lawless states where marijuana has been "legalized", including my own, its use has greatly increased. And also in those states, it has stimulated the illegal production and sales of it, which is higher than the legal sales. There are now many more impaired, pot-smoking drivers on the road in those states, endangering the lives of everyone. The very core of our society's system of values would be trashed, if we legalize such drugs. The drug-dealing criminal gangs will continue, regardless of marijuana legalization.
It's amazing how some people actually feel that banned, illegal drugs are some how safer for society than legalized and regulated drugs. I don't know of any criminal gangs trying to make big money by selling alcohol and cigarettes. Some states, such as California need to revise their regulations on legal pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies