Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 04:57 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
So OP, you seem to like South and North Dakota a lot. When are you moving and which state will you move too?
The OP has said in the past he/she/it doesn't like cold weather!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 04:58 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don’t do ignore lists.
I fail to see the logic in that. It's nothing more than a filter of the utterly worthless and I appreciate a wide range of opinions on topics. It's just reserved for people that post outright lies and then when confronted make up more garbage or run away and hide....or a couple of hard core racists around here.

P.S. You probably do ignore lists IRL I bet. You know, when you set up your TV channels and set it so you don't get the home shopping network or whatever channel carries the 700 club?

Old 11-18-2019, 05:01 PM

Incidentally, the OP's own links show us how job growth in both states has been slowing down considerably for the past year or so.

Minnesota payroll jobs:

source

South Dakota payroll jobs:

source

Old 11-18-2019, 05:03 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The OP has said in the past he/she/it doesn't like cold weather!
I was actually waiting for you to show up here lol.

The OP reminds me a lot of some of your posts to the KS forum a few years back.

Did you guys study statistics together at Trump University?

Old 11-18-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I don't know what kind of growth the OP is talking about, but when you compare GDP growth of Minnesota to South Dakota, Minnesota wins handily.

source

From Q1 2017 (Trump's first quarter in office) to Q2 2019 (the latest available data) ...

Real GDP by state: Compound annual growth rate
Minnesota: 1.7%
South Dakota: 0.5%

South Dakota is actually ranked 49th in growth rate during that period.
Incidentally, we can go back further and see what we get. Let's do 10 years - from Q2 2009 to Q2 2019

Minnesota: 2.1%
South Dakota: 1.6%

Yup, going back 10 years has Minnesota GDP growth higher than South Dakota as well.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I was actually waiting for you to show up here lol.

The OP reminds me a lot of some of your posts to the KS forum a few years back.

Did you guys study statistics together at Trump University?
I've only been posting here a little over 2 years, and I don't think I've ever posted much of anything at all in the Kansas section. You must be thinking of someone else.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:54 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Incidentally, we can go back further and see what we get. Let's do 10 years - from Q2 2009 to Q2 2019

Minnesota: 2.1%
South Dakota: 1.6%

Yup, going back 10 years has Minnesota GDP growth higher than South Dakota as well.
on the back of the taxpayer. There are reasons retirees are fleeing the state....

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/30/reti...in-droves.html

Old 11-18-2019, 06:34 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I fail to see the logic in that. It's nothing more than a filter of the utterly worthless and I appreciate a wide range of opinions on topics. It's just reserved for people that post outright lies and then when confronted make up more garbage or run away and hide....or a couple of hard core racists around here.

P.S. You probably do ignore lists IRL I bet. You know, when you set up your TV channels and set it so you don't get the home shopping network or whatever channel carries the 700 club?
Hey, I resent that supposition. I watch those shows!!

Old 11-19-2019, 12:47 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
I've lived in both states (live in SD now) so I suppose I should weigh in.

Wages in SD are FAR below those in most of MN, so there is an exodus of SD's young people to MN and other places (even Wyoming) that have higher wages. As a result, there are a lot of unfilled jobs here, especially in the trades.

The job growth that is happening in SD is mostly in low wage areas: tourism, banking support/credit card processing/call centers, and corporate agriculture. The diversity in Huron, for example, is due to recent immigrants coming here to work at meat processing/packing plants. Low wage, nasty work. Local kids would rather move to the Twin Cities and live in a crummy apartment than stay and do meat processing in SD, even though it would enable them to own a nice small home.

MN has a healthy economy and good public services, and the population votes to support extras via taxation, like the Legacy Amendment https://www.legacy.mn.gov/, which has been a boon to parks and libraries and small cultural institutions throughout the state.

SD has a healthy economy and minimal public services, and the population does not support extras via taxation.

I confess that a tax rate favorable to retirees is one of the reasons I moved from MN to SD. But I do miss some of those nice MN services. Also, the current SD governor is just as brainless and embarrassing as you-know-who (though probably not as crooked) and a lot of what happens in Pierre is either just plain silly or manipulated by out-of-state interests.

Those of you who enjoy having plenty of room to spread out, affordable comfortable housing, minimal crime, and natural beauty (yes, even East River is beautiful in it's own way) are welcome to come join me in SD! Just be aware that your wages will be low, you'll have to put up with irrational poorly educated (because teacher wages are the lowest in the Nation) republican neighbors, and you will probably have to travel to MN for specialized medical care, fine museums, and plentiful well funded state parks. Oh, and good food.

Old 11-19-2019, 01:25 AM

31,043 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post

Finally, I checked out what the FBI has to say about the murder rate in the Phoenix/Tempe AZ metro area. You remember Phoenix. It's where you are fleeing to stay away from any nasty liberals like the killers in Boulder.

The CONSERVATIVE METRO AREA OF PHOENIX, AZ has a murder rate of 4.6% per 100,000 residents. Only the conservative utopia of Colorado Springs is worse.

Yep, you sure can pick them, LC.

And for everyone else, this is how worthless statistics are when you just draw them out of thin air hoping to prove some crazy idea that you are fond of.
Phoenix conservative? Democrat Mayor, city council, police chief? Tempe? Same, controlled by Democrats for years. Phoenix has a sky high murder rate and violent crime rate compared to some of the Republican run cities like Gilbert or Chandler, which are often rated best places to live in the US.

If you don't know what your talking about don't post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies