Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 05:11 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Big difference here: D's are using a constitutional power (impeachment) that was intended for only the most grave circumstances by the founders. That's why the founders set such a high bar. They included the house, senate, and SCOTUS in the process to ensure there would be no steamroll by a small coalition. Then they specified a 2/3rds supermajority in the Senate as another high hurdle.

Trump uses twitter and rallies to try to damage reputations.

Using the impeachment process to damage the reputation of a political opponent amounts to crapping on the Constitution.
Well, I certainly think that Trump's presidential behavior is way out of line here. And for me, that's the main reason for the impeachment.

You obviously don't.

But to me, 'rigging' means playing games with actual votes behind the scenes. I see no way that an impeachment process could accomplish that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 05:55 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Well, I certainly think that Trump's presidential behavior is way out of line here. And for me, that's the main reason for the impeachment.

You obviously don't.

But to me, 'rigging' means playing games with actual votes behind the scenes. I see no way that an impeachment process could accomplish that.
I don't necessarily believe he is not out of line. I just don't believe he has done anything that merits impeachment, which again is intended as an extreme remedy in extreme circumstances.

Secondly, even if you believe the narrative that he withheld aid in exchange for an investigation of Biden, the evidence is not there to prove that (in the so-called transcript).

The state dept. staffer who claims to have overheard a phone call between Trump and Sondland could change that. He's going to testify this week. There were two other witnesses with him, so that could change the evidence picture.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:02 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Big difference here: D's are using a constitutional power (impeachment) that was intended for only the most grave circumstances by the founders. That's why the founders set such a high bar. They included the house, senate, and SCOTUS in the process to ensure there would be no steamroll by a small coalition. Then they specified a 2/3rds supermajority in the Senate as another high hurdle.

Trump uses twitter and rallies to try to damage reputations.

Using the impeachment process to damage the reputation of a political opponent amounts to crapping on the Constitution.
Not only that, but the impeachment/coup is wasting valuable time and resources that need to be applied elsewhere. Both sides admit our infrastructure is neglected and in desperate need of attention. And what are democrats doing? Distracting the nation with fake news, trying to incite a civil war, trying to start race wars, trying to disrupt the peace on all level of society. The democratic part is quite literally the party of chaos and disorder. The republican party represents civility and advancing society.

It's a joke that some democrats consider themselves "progressive" when just about every democrat run city has regressed under Obama's 2 terms. Parts of California are being overrun by homeless people as far as the eye can see, medieval diseases, syringes and crap littering the streets. The results of democratic promises are never ideal for society. They are only ideal for the elites who get to scoop up most of the wealth, while the bottom 60% struggles to hold on to what little they have left.

The people in the middle get to fight for the scraps, but they are nothing compared to the glutenous feast taking place just above their social rank in society. They can see it, but they will never be able to reach out and grab a bit for themselves with democrats in control. That's why social mobility is among the worst in the USA, among the developed nations. Obama's QE scams were nothing but a well decorated wealth transfer scheme, at it worked marvelously and just as planned. Not only are dems disingenuous hypocrites, but they are useful idiots of the purest form.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:50 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
"Rep. Ocasio-Cortez admits Dems are using impeachment to rig 2020 against @realDonaldTrump. Take her at her word -- 'This is about preventing a potentially disastrous outcome from occurring next year.' Make no mistake: This is about power for Dems. Nothing else."

Those were Republican Steve Scalise's words, not AOC. It's one thing to read, another to comprehend.
indeed. thanks for copy pasting the exact same passage that i already did.

read and comprehend this, if you can:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Not a single mention of “rig” in the OPs link. I guess when you have nothing you just have to make it up.

That should not be a surprise as making things up is tried and true tactic of the Trump team.
no claims about AOC there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
The word "rig" was not used by AOC, as nearly as I can tell. It was used by Steve Scalise.
correct, see above.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:53 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
I don't necessarily believe he is not out of line. I just don't believe he has done anything that merits impeachment, which again is intended as an extreme remedy in extreme circumstances.

Secondly, even if you believe the narrative that he withheld aid in exchange for an investigation of Biden, the evidence is not there to prove that (in the so-called transcript).

The state dept. staffer who claims to have overheard a phone call between Trump and Sondland could change that. He's going to testify this week. There were two other witnesses with him, so that could change the evidence picture.
The House is not conducting a trial so there is no reason to think that all the evidence will come out now. The House is looking for probable cause that impeachment is warranted. That is a lower standard than guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

They have to conduct it this way because Trump won't let them hear from witnesses who could exonerate Trump, which is totally crazy. He is claiming executive privilege so Mulvaney and others who were present on the phone call and who knew what Trump's intent was cannot testify.

During the trial those witnesses cannot be excluded - SCOTUS has already found that in an impeachment, executive privilege does not apply. Because the House is still "investigating" they have not appealed Trump's refusal to cooperate.

Trump can make all of this go away if he lets Pompeo, Mulvaney, Bolton and others testify. This is a problem of his own making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies