Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2019, 07:15 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
I’m originally from theBronx (5 story walk Up). When I moved toLong Island I used a lawn service.
Now I am retired and live in North Carolina. At 70 years old I started mowing my lawn (only about a half acre)
I find it is good exercise
Sk'roo that. I bought a riding mower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 07:36 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Sk'roo that. I bought a riding mower.
speaking of riding mowers - it's a hoot watching someone try to use a riding mower to mow a yard that's so tiny, the mower can barely make a U-turn in it.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:46 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
speaking of riding mowers - it's a hoot watching someone try to use a riding mower to mow a yard that's so tiny, the mower can barely make a U-turn in it.
Lazy. This type of thing is why people are getting fatter. Yard work is a good workout, and people don't get enough exercise. They also end up putting up those hideous tents to store the lawn tractor.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:37 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They also end up putting up those hideous tents to store the lawn tractor.
Less lawn to mow, win-win.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:55 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
O my goodness. There are YouTube videos on how to do laundry.
I'm just amazed that a parent never teaches their child how to do laundry.
I guess people my age (Boomer) take these things for granted because for the most part we were taught and expected to do laundry, cook, wash dishes, clean, mow the yard, etc.
Times have changed and parents dont take the time or for what ever reason don't involve their children in daily tasks of living/keeping up a household.
As a millennial, my parents refused to teach me anything, because they thought I wouldn't do it right. If I tried to take the initiative and help, I got screamed at. Then my mother always complained that I never helped around the house.

I moved out at 17 and had to clumsily teach everything myself (before Youtube and life skills classes were a thing).

Old 11-22-2019, 11:35 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
As a millennial, my parents refused to teach me anything, because they thought I wouldn't do it right. If I tried to take the initiative and help, I got screamed at. Then my mother always complained that I never helped around the house.

I moved out at 17 and had to clumsily teach everything myself (before Youtube and life skills classes were a thing).
Sorry about your experiences, but good for you for taking initiative teach yourself those skills. Being able to apply self-motivation and resourcefulness towards a productive goal is a beneficial skill.

In a way, you can say through their neglect of you your parents taught you how to become a more self-sufficient adult.

I think many Millennials suffered from parents who either neglected to teach them these skills, or misguidedly showed their love by coddling their kids too much to protect them from the hardships and discomfort of learning those skills themselves as they grew.

I remember mornings being forced to pack my own lunches in elementary school because my mom was usually at work or school. I really loved eggs so forced myself to learn how to make fried egg sandwiches, even if it meant standing on a chair in order to reach the stove.

In hindsight, being a latch-key kid forced me to learn many skills I probably would not have had I been raised in 'better' circumstances. I don't think many Millennials had that experience.

Old 11-22-2019, 11:44 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
I'm older than a millennial and I cant do half the things on that 2nd list.

Old 11-22-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Lazy. This type of thing is why people are getting fatter. Yard work is a good workout, and people don't get enough exercise. They also end up putting up those hideous tents to store the lawn tractor.
Sorry at 57, scoliosis and problems with one knee not to mention a full time job, a house, animals, grandkids, heat, etc. I'm not going to push mow an acre and a half of yard. I'd rather use the riding mower, get er done and spend my free time doing fun things with those I care about.

People are getting fatter because our highly processed foods, addiction to gluten and sugar, eating habits in general and overall sedimentary life style.

Old 11-22-2019, 12:11 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheFox View Post
Okay, I'm no Millennial but that list of 40 things is just plain stupid. It's like telling the boomer generation they have no clue how to put a saddle on a horse and ride a chariot. They don't need to as they now have cars.

For most of those skills, necessity is the motivation.
The implication is that the necessity of bygone days built character. It forged boys into men (and girls into women?). Losing the pressure of necessity, we've also lost an aspect of vigor, sprightliness, intuition and personal responsibility.

This is the lament of every generation. Newcomers have it easy, and therefore aren't the sturdy and redoubtable folk from the past.

Last edited by ohio_peasant; 11-22-2019 at 12:49 PM..

Old 11-22-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

That is terrible and bad parenting. But probably fairly common now days. I know as a parent it would have been much easier for me to do for my kids instead of letting them do for themselves but being a parent is about teaching your children to be independent.

You did it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies