Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 08:02 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times

Advertisements

You can't compete with Santa Clause aka giving people "free stuff" for votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 08:21 PM

20,861 posts, read 9,524,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
We should not allow immigrants(legal permanent residents) to naturalize for one compromise. Then let's see how much democrats care about immigrants and diversity. My preferred solution is basically no immigrants or at least no naturalizations and no birthright citizenship. Foreigners can visit and maybe a very few work visas but when your time is up, you got to go or you are removed.
Both my parents were naturalized citizens. They did so when they were in their teens. It is utterly absurd to not let immigrants become naturalized citizens, especially if they arrived here when they were kids.

Imagine coming here when you were 5 years old, and you came with your parents of course and had no choice in the matter, and 60 years later you've spent your whole life here and you're ready to retire and you STILL can't vote! What an idiotic, moronic system that would be.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:29 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Both my parents were naturalized citizens. They did so when they were in their teens. It is utterly absurd to not let immigrants become naturalized citizens, especially if they arrived here when they were kids.

Imagine coming here when you were 5 years old, and you came with your parents of course and had no choice in the matter, and 60 years later you've spent your whole life here and you're ready to retire and you STILL can't vote! What an idiotic, moronic system that would be.
Lots of countries are impossible to become naturalized and they don't allow much immigration. What matters what happened in the past? Just because your parents were allowed to immigrate and naturalize we have to let that go on into perpetuity? What an idiotic, moronic system that is. We do a favor or "good deed" for foreigners (not so much for natives) and now we're obligated to continue doing it forever?

Old 11-18-2019, 08:45 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,049,740 times
Quote:
Lots of countries are impossible to become naturalized and they don't allow much immigration. What matters what happened in the past? Just because your parents were allowed to immigrate and naturalize we have to let that go on into perpetuity? What an idiotic, moronic system that is. We do a favor or "good deed" for foreigners (not so much for natives) and now we're obligated to continue doing it forever?
Our country is the greatest because of it's diversity.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Let's re-phrase that:

Quote:
Lots of countries are difficult to have free speech and they don't allow much of it. What matters what happened in the past? Just because your parents were allowed free speech we have to let that go on into perpetuity? What an idiotic, moronic system that is. We do a favor or "good deed" for free speech advocates (not so much for censors) and now we're obligated to continue doing it forever?
That is, the answer is yes.

The US has been allowing immigrants since Day 1. We should continue to allow them to come here until they no longer want to come here.

If you prefer a country that does not allow immigrants, then MOVE TO ONE OF THEM.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Let's re-phrase that:

That is, the answer is yes.

The US has been allowing immigrants since Day 1. We should continue to allow them to come here until they no longer want to come here.

If you prefer a country that does not allow immigrants, then MOVE TO ONE OF THEM.
The US use to allow slavery too, and only allowed whites to naturalize etc. What we use to allow is not an argument at all. How am I suppose to move to a country that does not allow immigrants lol?

Old 11-18-2019, 08:53 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,546,940 times
Quote:
What matters what happened in the past? Just because your parents were allowed to immigrate and naturalize we have to let that go on into perpetuity? What an idiotic, moronic system that is. We do a favor or "good deed" for foreigners (not so much for natives) and now we're obligated to continue doing it forever?
A perfect example of the "F you, I got mine" ethos.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
The US use to allow slavery too, and only allowed whites to naturalize etc. What we use to allow is not an argument at all.
You seem to have missed my point. Yes, like free speech, there are some things we've always allowed that still should be allowed. Just because you personally do not like it does not mean we shouldn't allow it.

Quote:
How am I suppose to move to a country that does not allow immigrants lol?
You could always move to a country that allows few immigrants.

And frankly, I doubt there are any countries that, literally allow no immigrants. There is always a way to get in a country, somehow. If there are such countries, nobody would probably want to move to them anyway.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I'm not an immigrant. Immigrants are F you natives, we got ours.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Precisely. mtl1 is a classic NIMBY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies