Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 09:39 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
City governments pass legislation about more than one thing at once. It's kind of their job.
Here, let me help your point....32 items on the November calendar.

https://baltimore.legistar.com/Calendar.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 09:43 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Praise be. What would we do without them?
Find something else nonsensical to complain about I guess.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:45 AM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
You are good citizen. Blessed be the fruit.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:50 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Praise be. What would we do without them?
Be free?

Nah, too dangerous of a concept.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:54 AM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times
It's too bad the cons here are incapable of understanding this, but those plastics are far more insidious than they believe. And yes, they may actually be a factor in high homicide rates. Or at least, mental health.

Prenatal BPA exposure linked to anxiety and depression in boys

Bisphenol A Exposure and Symptoms of Anxiety and Depression Among Inner City Children at 10–12 Years of Age

Effects of Bisphenol-A and Other Endocrine Disruptors Compared With Abnormalities of Schizophrenia: An Endocrine-Disruption Theory of Schizophrenia

And so on, and so forth.

Granted, plastic shopping bags aren't particularly bad since they do not directly touch the food, but they've got the right general idea. Hopefully they'll gradually expand the list.

Eventually, a nearly plastic free city will become a more healthy city. Even obesity rates may go down.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:57 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Google the local ordinances of your hometown or any town for that matter.

You'll realize you've been (unwittingly) a modern day Al Capone with all the laws you've broken.

Surfing in Hallendale Beach, Florida. That's a fine/caging/death.

Holding confetti in your hand (not even throwing it) in Mobile, Alabama. That's a fine/caging/death.

One for me: eating a frog that dies during a frog jumping contest anywhere in California. That's a fine/caging/death.

This is fun. Ok Capone, you try it.

And let freedom ring!

Old 11-19-2019, 09:58 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times
Body bags at times are made of heavy plastic. Perhaps we should ban those as well.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:01 AM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Most big city councils are useless.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:41 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Google the local ordinances of your hometown or any town for that matter.

You'll realize you've been (unwittingly) a modern day Al Capone with all the laws you've broken.

Surfing in Hallendale Beach, Florida. That's a fine/caging/death.

Holding confetti in your hand (not even throwing it) in Mobile, Alabama. That's a fine/caging/death.

One for me: eating a frog that dies during a frog jumping contest anywhere in California. That's a fine/caging/death.

This is fun. Ok Capone, you try it.

And let freedom ring!
I know people drifting from the point is kind of an inevitable thing on messages boards LOL, but this has nothing to do with the point being made.

OP implied the city council (specifically Democrats) were more concerned about plastic bags and were less concerned about crime and whatnot. The OP offered the passage of this plastic ordinance as evidence. All I'm saying is they pass more than one type of legislation at a time, since it's their job to do that. You can't prove they dont care enough about crime because they also passed an environmental ordinance.

Now if you want to complain that city councils sometime pass stupid rules so they shouldn't exist at all... that's a whole different subject. Maybe someone else will take you up on that because I really don't care to argue that point LOL

Old 11-19-2019, 10:46 AM

20,873 posts, read 9,541,930 times
It's like saying why would a city council "waste" their time spending money painting street lines when they have more important things to do like deal with crime?

Well duh, just because they spend some time dealing with one seemingly minor issue does not mean they aren't concerned with other issues.

Threads like this only go to show how desperate some cons here are to try to score some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies