Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 12:04 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,188,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Did you ask a follow up during your trips to Asia, say China, and ask them WTF is wrong with their government? Or to Thailand and ask WTF is wrong with their king and why do they still have one?

With the Chinese, yes. They think their law is far superior to anyone and they point to the election of Trump as proof that American style government is broken.

Not so much with the Thais because most don't speak any other language besides Thai, and I don't speak it.

Right-wingers live in a bubble. Be it the Chinese or the Republicans.

Old 11-20-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Many students go to school in countries that are worse than their home country is. China for example is a top destination for students from Japan and South Korea. But it is laughable to think students from China for example, are all of a sudden dissuaded and offended by Trump rhetoric, given the horrific civil right abuses China has.

The US has twice the number of foreign students as second place UK, there is no comparison really, the US has the most availability, ease of access, for international students.

First of all, if you've ever been to China (not Hong Kong, I mean the mainland China) you'd know that the Chinese do not at all consider themselves abuser of Civil Rights. They by and large, have no concept of this Civil Rights thing. In fact, they are convinced their law is more righteous than anyone, including the US. They live in a bubble where they are better than everyone. Which means that you may think of them as civil rights abuser who should be grateful to come to a freer country, they themselves DO NOT see it that way.

Second of all, Xi Ji Ping has never said anything remotely close to, "Japan/South Korea are very bad. We'll destroy them and bring the jobs back here."

Old 11-20-2019, 12:08 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,115,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Why do right-wingers keep posting this fake map that has been debunked multiple times??

all I did was image search, and grabbed it from business insider.
as far as I can now tell, having wondered how truthful your comment was, is that it's deemed "misleading" by giving each county "equal" weight regardless of population, and either just blue or just red.

but "fake" it is not, is it?

Old 11-20-2019, 12:39 PM

77,036 posts, read 47,378,297 times
Losing billions and billions and billions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_aLESDql1U

Old 11-20-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
all I did was image search, and grabbed it from business insider.
as far as I can now tell, having wondered how truthful your comment was, is that it's deemed "misleading" by giving each county "equal" weight regardless of population, and either just blue or just red.

but "fake" it is not, is it?

That freaking map shows many blue regions, including very blue parts of California, voting for Trump.

I'd hope anyone familiar with geography would spot that there is no way it is real.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:20 PM

42,209 posts, read 17,579,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, you guessed it, its Trump's fault.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/educ...ing/ar-BBWZHfW

The continued decline in international student enrollment since the fall of 2016 has cost the US economy $11.8 billion and more than 65,000 jobs, according to estimates from NAFSA: Association of International Educators, an international association of professional educators.

"There's many variables, but largely it's been the policies and rhetoric from the current administration that's really driven the numbers to move in that direction," said Rachel Banks, director of public policy at NAFSA.

Sadly no, it's the progressive leaning of colleges and that trend has been happening for some time now.

Snowflakes crying for their "safe spaces", college classes on "Star Wars", etc.

Foreign students, as well as some American students, are opting for colleges in other countries.
Germany has been attracting a huge number of foreign students

It's not due to Trump.

https://www.ft.com/content/a28fff1c-...9-296ca66511c9

Old 11-20-2019, 02:40 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,706,207 times
"International students are significant to school budgets, as many colleges and universities collect higher tuition from them. At Peninsula College in Washington State, international students are charged about $10,000 a year in tuition, while in-state students pay about $5,000."

You know what? In classes that are in demand and have waiting lists, the school will often cherry pick a foreigner over a local student so they can grab that extra $5K.

Old 11-20-2019, 03:25 PM

5,887 posts, read 2,815,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, you guessed it, its Trump's fault.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/educ...ing/ar-BBWZHfW

The continued decline in international student enrollment since the fall of 2016 has cost the US economy $11.8 billion and more than 65,000 jobs, according to estimates from NAFSA: Association of International Educators, an international association of professional educators.

"There's many variables, but largely it's been the policies and rhetoric from the current administration that's really driven the numbers to move in that direction," said Rachel Banks, director of public policy at NAFSA.
Good ,now there is room for American students

Old 11-20-2019, 05:28 PM

50,108 posts, read 46,707,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I've been to Europe, Asia, Latin America, Oceania in addition to Canada.

The US's blue states are not racist for the most part. But the red states..... oh boy.

During my travel, many people I encountered would asked me about Trump, usually in the form of, "WTF is wrong with your country? Is it safe for me to travel there?" I tried to make them aware that places that support Trump are usually backwoods craphole that they would never go to. It's still safe to visit places they want to visit - San Francisco, Los Angeles, NYC, etc.

That's some serious bad advice for a tourist. At least warn them of areas where they can get attacked by some homeless cidiot strung out on heroin.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:35 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,599,111 times
There is an acceleration of Chinese pulling their kids out of US Schools and also not buying real estate and other investments in the USA. This happened due specifically to Trump's tariff wars and his ranting about China.

Real Estate purchases by foreigners are down 30-50% in some popular areas and both private schools and colleges are also feeling the pinch.

I have heard this...not from an article, but from actual human beings involved. The real estate numbers are available to anyone who wants to look them up and they relate to the same issue (in a general sense, people are giving the USA the finger...in response to Trump giving then the finger).

This one did NOT start in 2016.....
"US home purchases by foreign buyers dropped a staggering 36 percent between April 2018 and March, from $121 billion to $77.9 billion, according to a new report from the National Association of Realtors. "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies