Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Secretary Madison have been impeached over his 'foreign intercourse' quid pro quo?
yes, that was unacceptable and impeachable. 1 6.67%
no, he was just doing his job in the rough & tumble world of foreign policy. 10 66.67%
other (please explain below). 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 04:19 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
The case of jamal khashoggi is a horse of a different color. I don't think it is even reasonable to describe it as 'corruption.' Hence it does not show that Trump is not concerned with corruption.

The murder of jamal khashoggi left Trump in a no-win spot. The admin had been working with the Saudis and Israelis to try to form a bulwark against Iranian efforts at Mid-East hegemony. He could either put that at risk, or look the other way on khashoggi.

It's called geo politics. Same reason FDR and Ike formed an alliance with Stalin in WWII.
I cannot figure out whether your defense of Trump is because you believe he has near unlimited discretion in what he does, or if you think it simply is the case that Schiff has not proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Trump committed the offense of which he is accused. There is no smoking gun so I can see the latter but I have a hard time with the former. I believe the Presidency is limited in power; he is not a king. My problem with Trump is that he acts like he is king.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 05:10 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
No, The Ukraine is a sovereign country, and the US has limited power to investigate there. That was the whole point of Hunter Biden setting up shop in Ukraine and China instead of in the US.
We have treaties that require some countries to assist in investigations.
There is just such a treaty between the US and the Ukraine.
https://www.congress.gov/treaty-docu.../document-text

Old 11-21-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
DOJ has zero authority in The Ukraine.
Treaty with Ukraine on mutual legal assistance in criminal matters. We have that covered.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:22 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,010,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Treaty with Ukraine on mutual legal assistance in criminal matters. We have that covered.
Hunter Biden was on the board of Burisma starting in early 2014, nearly 6 years ago. Apparently the treaty was not working well to go 6 years with zero investigation, other than by some US journalists.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I cannot figure out whether your defense of Trump is because you believe he has near unlimited discretion in what he does, or if you think it simply is the case that Schiff has not proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Trump committed the offense of which he is accused. There is no smoking gun so I can see the latter but I have a hard time with the former. I believe the Presidency is limited in power; he is not a king. My problem with Trump is that he acts like he is king.
Mainly I think there is not even clear evidence yet of the allegations against Trump. I yet to see the testimony of David Holmes today, which I've always thought could change the evidence picture.

First we have to get evidence, then we can talk about whether it was impeachable. My opinion is probably not, any more than Madison's action was. Impeachment was clearly intended for the gravest of scenarios. I think neither Madison's or Trump's (alleged) actions fit the bill.

Clearly the President does not have unlimited power under the Constitution. One of the problems we have is that the legislative branch has abdicated much of its power, handing it to the executive, judicial, and the unelected bureaucracy.

And that trend is being exacerbated by the obsession with impeachment and Trump. What have they gotten done since they took control of the house in Jan. 2019?

Old 11-21-2019, 05:31 PM

BTW most seem to agree with me on Madison. Current vote is 8-1 against impeachment.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Hunter Biden was on the board of Burisma starting in early 2014, nearly 6 years ago. Apparently the treaty was not working well to go 6 years with zero investigation, other than by some US journalists.
IF Hunter Biden broke a Ukrainian law it is up to them to investigate. As far as I know he didn't break any US laws by taking a job in another country.

Also for the treat to be used the US has to open an investigation, so if that wasn't done then the treaty doesn't apply.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:50 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
People still do not seem to understand the difference between quid pro quo for personal gain, as Trump wanted, and quid pro quo for the good of the entire country.

Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp?

Trying to claim all of the witnesses are out to get Trump is laughable. The witnesses presented plenty of corroborating evidence. Trump was not acting as a president. He was offering US resources, paid for the by the taxpayers, in exchange for making a leader of a country sling mud at Biden, because Trump apparently is terrified he cannot get elected on his own record. That is not just disgusting behavior--it is illegal. He'll do it again if he gets away with it this time. He's dragging the country down to his level. He did it and he will continue to break the law, because he has zero respect for it.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
BTW most seem to agree with me on Madison. Current vote is 8-1 against impeachment.
Too bad Trump isn't Madison.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:57 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times
Quote:
The Fabrication of Mohamed's Iftar

Madison was Secretary of State under President Thomas Jefferson in 1805. There had been trouble with US merchant vessels being attacked by Barbary Coast (North Africa) pirates. The great powers of Europe had arrangements to protect their shipping, but the fledgling US didn't.

The Tunisians sent envoy Sidi Soliman Mellimelli to Washington DC to negotiate. Madison was chief negotiator for the US. The Tunisian envoy requested female companionship ('concubines') for his 11 man delegation.

The high-minded Jefferson was not amused by the 'foreign intercourse' reference. Sixteen years earlier, Madison had served as principle author of the Constitution, including the impeachment provisions. At the time there was no suggestion of impeachment over the incident. Should he have been impeached?

What do you think?
Did he do it for corrupt purposes for his own personal benefit? Doesn't sound like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies