Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 12:05 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times

Advertisements

Mentally - yes, physically - no

Old 11-21-2019, 12:06 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Go watch footage from a Tea Party rally or a Trump rally. Obesity is the common denominator.
If you compare a Trump rally to a Hillary or other Democrat rally, the Trump crowd looks healthier and prettier, overweight or not, despite being older. They act better too for the most part and don't riot and don't mob attack their opponent's supporters.

Old 11-21-2019, 12:07 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
Interesting article from Psychology Today. It's from a few months ago but still pretty current. I thought I would look into it since conservatives are now called fat trailer trash.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...thier-liberals

"Political psychology has long been interested in psychological differences between people with conservative and liberal orientations. A recent paper provides evidence that people with conservative political attitudes tend to have better health than their liberal counterparts because of the former place greater value on personal responsibility (Chan, 2019). This may also be a reflection of higher conscientiousness among conservatives. The author of this study suggests that it might be possible to increase conservatism as a way to improve health-related behavior. However, this seems rather unlikely and might have unintended and undesirable consequences even if it were possible."

It appears that conservatives are healthier because they value personal responsibility more than liberals.

Liberals, what are your thoughts and excuses for this?
Yes, if by conservatives, we mean, those who understand that we are responsible for ourselves and that our actions have consequences, then that is true. The standard definition we have for liberal/conservative is not really accurate in the sense that most people considered 'trailer trash' are in fact liberal in the sense that they don't fit the above definition of conservative. They expect big government handouts.

Old 11-21-2019, 12:07 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
I will say that I do think personal responsibility does correlate with health.

But that’s not necessarily linked to ideology.

Old 11-21-2019, 12:09 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I've notice most lushes, druggies, licentious, floozies, hedonist and unattractive and lazy tend to be liberal. That has to affect one's mental and physical health and also be a cause or indicator of someone escaping and self-medicating a preexisting mental health issue. Liberalism itself is escapism from hard reality to a degree.
It probably depends on where you live. I live in a red area, so most of the people tend to vote red. This includes, of course, the obese people in trailer parks as well as the more fit people living in the nicer areas. If you live in a more liberal area, you'll probably see the opposite. The poor in the inner cities who tend to be unhealthy tend to vote democrat; the poor in the rural trailers who tend to be unhealthy tend to vote republican.

Older people tend to vote republican and probably eat better than most 20-year-olds (who tend to vote democrat). That's more a function of age, money, and even culture.

Read into it anything you want. I wouldn't say that Trump is a shining example of good health. Your opinion might be different, I don't know.

Old 11-21-2019, 12:10 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Crickets of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhowQgZ03JI

Old 11-21-2019, 12:15 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,665 times
the social sciences hard NOT hard science

Old 11-21-2019, 12:21 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
It probably depends on where you live. I live in a red area, so most of the people tend to vote red. This includes, of course, the obese people in trailer parks as well as the more fit people living in the nicer areas. If you live in a more liberal area, you'll probably see the opposite. The poor in the inner cities who tend to be unhealthy tend to vote democrat; the poor in the rural trailers who tend to be unhealthy tend to vote republican.

Older people tend to vote republican and probably eat better than most 20-year-olds (who tend to vote democrat). That's more a function of age, money, and even culture.

Read into it anything you want. I wouldn't say that Trump is a shining example of good health. Your opinion might be different, I don't know.
A reasoned reply. I would not say, though, that Trump is a shining example of a conservative either. The Trumpers have hijacked the conservative label. Never-Trumpers are more likely to hold values we used to associate with conservatives.

Old 11-21-2019, 12:23 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
In the first study, people recruited from Reddit rated their own political orientation on a 1–9 scale ranging from “very liberal” to “very conservative,” rated their own general health on a scale ranging from “extremely poor” to “extremely healthy,” and completed a measure of personal responsibility.

As predicted, all the measures were positively correlated, so that those who were more conservative rated themselves as having better health, and placed a higher value on personal responsibility.
Ehm - OK, then? That's some fine sciencing, there.

Old 11-21-2019, 12:24 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times
Quote:
Interesting article from Psychology Today. It's from a few months ago but still pretty current. I thought I would look into it since conservatives are now called fat trailer trash.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...thier-liberals

"Political psychology has long been interested in psychological differences between people with conservative and liberal orientations. A recent paper provides evidence that people with conservative political attitudes tend to have better health than their liberal counterparts because of the former place greater value on personal responsibility (Chan, 2019). This may also be a reflection of higher conscientiousness among conservatives. The author of this study suggests that it might be possible to increase conservatism as a way to improve health-related behavior. However, this seems rather unlikely and might have unintended and undesirable consequences even if it were possible."

It appears that conservatives are healthier because they value personal responsibility more than liberals.

Liberals, what are your thoughts and excuses for this?
Any can get sick or stricken with a disease and it doesn't discriminate against based on politics. But you have a huge amount of preventable illness and diseases that go on typically in very leftist areas of a metro area as opposed to a conservative area.

It's interesting to go to a liberal part of Phoenix like Maryvale and see how unhealthy people are and then go to a very conservative area like Gilbert and see contrast in how healthty people are.

Compare the health of people in liberal Compton to conservative Newport Beach.

In Colorado, interesting how healthy population is in very conserative areas like Castle Rock, Highlands Ranch and Parker as opposed to liberal areas like Federal Heights, Aurora, Commerce City

Liberals tend to encourage drug-use, e-cigarette use is big in liberal states, liberal cities have a huge bar cultures full of very high percentage alcohol beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies