Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 06:53 PM

1,138 posts, read 448,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
An armed population has no chance against a tyrannical government. I'm pro-gun (lifetime NRA member), but the argument that the population needs to be armed for protection from the government is nonsensical. You may be surprised to learn that the military has access to weapons that are vastly superior to anything a civilian has access to.
So completely unarmed is better than just out gunned? I just don't get the logic in that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 06:53 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
So how does surrendering it make that any worse? Maybe one person can't make a stand, but thousands and better yet millions can.

But they won't, especially coddled Americans. The vast majority of the population will do nothing. Protesters are a tiny, insignificant portion of the population. Millions of decent Germans stood idly by while Hitler slaughtered millions of their fellow citizens. Most people are sheep and will capitulate to the government.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:57 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
So completely unarmed is better than just out gunned? I just don't get the logic in that.

If you're armed, you'll just be dead sooner. This is a no win situation, analogous to the pedestrian in a crosswalk who steps in front of a speeding truck because they have the right-of-way. They're right, of course. Dead right. An armed population, assuming they could coordinate/unite a massive number of people, still wouldn't have a chance against a trained military. Better to stand down and plan a more covert resistance. Direct violence against the military is a losing proposition.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:57 PM

16,588 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacommonwealth View Post
An unarmed populace stands no chance against tyrannical governments like China and Iran.
The leftists/liberals never think that such things could happen in America, even though it has happened around the world for longer than America has been a country.
While the FF's certainly created a wonderful constitutional republic, without the 2nd Amendment, words on paper alone could not stop a tyrannical government run amok.

Regardless what you think about Trump personally, what the deep state attemped to do trying to undermine and remove him, should frighten us all.
If they did the same to Bill Clinton or Barak Obama, I'd be saying the exact same thing.

`

Old 11-22-2019, 07:02 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
Quote:
An unarmed populace stands no chance against tyrannical governments like China and Iran.
Wait, so you think that China is the bad guy when it didn’t send one soldier into Hong Kong/ it’s the Hong Kong [police trying to restore order and stop the riots and destruction carried out by the so-called peaceful protesters. These rioters have carried out terroristic acts like set fire to innocent folks who disagree with them and beating people who speak out against them. It’s a joke for people to think these terrorists are actually peaceful freedom fighters. If you just look a bit beyond what cnn and other liberal anti-china media outlets tell you, you will see a truer picture.

Old 11-22-2019, 07:56 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Not that it would ever happen except in a right wingers wetdr**m... If you think you would defeat a determined US military force because you have an AK under your bed, you are delusional.
No, only uneducated goat humpers with WWII weapons can hold off the US military for 15 years. Not 100,000,000 American gun owners.

Old 11-22-2019, 08:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
What our public does not see
Those cops are not cops
Red Chinese soldiers in cop uniforms
Hong Kong police were removed

Old 11-22-2019, 08:54 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Quote:
As does an armed populace. There is no way that private individuals could arm themselves with the advanced weaponry and munitions that are in anyway comparable to the sophisticated weapons that todays Generals have at their fingertips. They wouldn't hesitate for even a second to use them either. Look at what Saudi Arabians are doing to civilians (children included) in Yemen.

And look at what the Chinese military did to anti-government protestors in Tiananmen Square.

Finally, just for the sake of argument, say that tanks and anti-aircraft artillery, etc. were freely available for sale at your local Army Surplus store. The price of such things would be incredible. How would a group of civilians ever be able to stockpile such things?

The idea of a group of determined citizen patriots overthrowing a heavily armed dictatorship is quite romantic, but the only place it would go over would be Hollywood and even Hollywood would be hard pressed to come up with a believable plot line.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:17 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Cities in China are starting to make cities in the US look old and outdated. I feel for the protestors, but their lives will be fine when it eventually becomes a part of China and it's inevitable Hong Kong will eventually merge into China. If the US wants to get involved, allow an easy pathway for them to relocate to America. I support passing a bill that honors Hong Kong rights too. They are very educated, they would be fine here. Keep in mind, something like half the population in HK don't support the protesters anymore. I travel to Hong Kong every year because my girl-friend is from there. It's very different than say Iran. China is a booming country right now. I have friends choosing to move from the US to Shanghai. I'm too political to live in China where you have no political voice, but lifestyle wise, it's pretty good. Let's not become major enemies with China, they will be our biggest ticket to continue growing our economy. Also, almost every country we isolated has moved further toward tyranny and like it or not, China is on the way to become as powerful as us, at least economic wise, I'd rather be friends with China and hopefully influence them through friendship than isolating them, so they can ally and be influenced with countries like Russia.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:10 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Crackdown on Hong Kong? They were protesting for months! The protesters set a man on fire and shot a police officer with a bow and arrow, among other antics. USA would have sent in the national guard after a week. Antifa soyboys would be getting their skulls bashed in left and right. Just telling it like it is...
I doubt that! LOL

More than likely, the other way around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies