Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 02:35 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
So Oregon Supreme Court has recently ruled that Oregon Police officers cannot ask routine questions in a random traffic stop. That instead, the questions must only pertain to why the person was pulled over.

"The decision stems from the case of Mario Arreola-Botello, who was pulled over by a Beaverton Police officer in 2015 for failing to signal a turn. Arreola-Botello consented to a search of his car, leading officers to discover a package of methamphetamine on the floor.
Arreola-Botello’s attorney, Joshua Crowther, argued the search of his car was unconstitutional because it was spawned by questions that went outside the scope of what police should be allowed to ask during a routine traffic stop."

https://www.opb.org/news/article/ore...dom-questions/

What do you all think? I honestly think its ridiculous that Mario Arreola's attorney was able to argue that case ---when the guy had meth in his car. wth? How is it unreasonable for an officer to ask if there are drugs and guns inside the vehicle?

How is it ridiculous?

In which way do you think that the presence of guns or drugs in the vehicle affected his ability to signal a turn?

If you can provide a reasonable explanation that is relevant to the driving offense you might have an argument. If its "just because..." it's not relevant to the cause of the stop.

Old 11-23-2019, 03:14 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
WRONG...you are protecting the peoples rights!

I applaud this action, I have dealt with this kind of thing firsthand, the cop used the traffic stop as an excuse, he was suspicious we had drugs in the car, that is what he was interested in!

I watched 2 cops threaten and intimidate a girl in her early 20s over this!! Telling her they can take her to jail right now if they wanted to do, but it would be better if she complied and told the truth...cops lie in order to force people to do something they would not otherwise do.

They were also very interested in where we were coming from and why, where we were going after, etc. What right do they have to ask those questions? NONE!
Bad decision. It makes people dependent on government. Why didn't this person just exercise her Constitutional rights and say no you can't? Because she is ignorant and like a child can't learn?

And yes they do have a right to ask those questions. It's protected by our 2nd amendment. That amendment isn't there to force people to do something, to tell the truth. It's put in place because one is allowed to say controversial things. Like blacks should be able to marry whites.

We fight the individuals who are violating our trust and we don't need that kind of protection from the benevolent hand of government. Give up freedom for security and you'll get neither.

So now cops can't do it, but when they do guess what will happen to the cop? I'm sure you know the answer. The tax payers will pay the penalty and the cop will walk free.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 11-23-2019 at 03:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 03:27 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
How is it ridiculous?

In which way do you think that the presence of guns or drugs in the vehicle affected his ability to signal a turn?

If you can provide a reasonable explanation that is relevant to the driving offense you might have an argument. If its "just because..." it's not relevant to the cause of the stop.
It's about padding the arrest record.

Old 11-23-2019, 05:42 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
You do know that this is the verbal equivalent of stop and frisk........right?

Yes, but just because police ask you, doesn't mean you have to answer. Yes, these traffic stops are often FISHING EXPEDITIONS for other crimes. DUI, drug and weapons possession, or whatever else they can get you do divulge or use an excuse to search your vehicle.

Police can make any excuse to stop your vehicle. "You crossed the center line of the road briefly, have you been drinking?" Your tail light looked out. Your brake light looked out, etc. The Police want to get you into the judicial system for $$$. Fines, fees, court costs, lawyer costs and others sustain and grow their bureaucracy. The police have been told by their management to generate revenue and get you into the system.

Old 11-23-2019, 05:52 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
So Oregon Supreme Court has recently ruled that Oregon Police officers cannot ask routine questions in a random traffic stop. That instead, the questions must only pertain to why the person was pulled over.

"The decision stems from the case of Mario Arreola-Botello, who was pulled over by a Beaverton Police officer in 2015 for failing to signal a turn. Arreola-Botello consented to a search of his car, leading officers to discover a package of methamphetamine on the floor.
Arreola-Botello’s attorney, Joshua Crowther, argued the search of his car was unconstitutional because it was spawned by questions that went outside the scope of what police should be allowed to ask during a routine traffic stop."

https://www.opb.org/news/article/ore...dom-questions/

What do you all think? I honestly think its ridiculous that Mario Arreola's attorney was able to argue that case ---when the guy had meth in his car. wth? How is it unreasonable for an officer to ask if there are drugs and guns inside the vehicle?

"Arreola-Botello consented to a search of his car," , he could have said no, at which time, many jurisdictions have dogs trained to alert to illegal drugs, dogs could have been used.
"Northarolina K-9 officer fatally shot during routine traffic stop ...

https://www.cnn.com › 2019/05/05 › north-carolina-cop-shooting

May 5, 2019 - A police officer was fatally shot during a routine traffic stop in Mooresville, North Carolina, late Saturday, and the suspect later killed himself, the police department said. K-9 Officer Jordan Harris Sheldon, 32, was transported to a hospital, but died from his injuries ...

Of course places like Oregon don't care about the lives of their policemen!

Old 11-23-2019, 05:52 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Unchecked liberalism hard at work.
Many people have very strong feelings about being searched, especially without probable cause and they don’t necessarily identify as liberal.

Old 11-23-2019, 05:55 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
When you limit police powers to be proactive in crime control you are inviting the proliferation of crime which has already occurred since BLM
Yes. This reminds me of when there were massive riots in Baltimore, with lowlife scum setting cars on fire and destroy small business property. The liberal mayor, trying to appease the scumbags, told police to stand down and give them "space to destroy."

Shortly after that, the mayor instructed police to be "less aggressive" when dealing with lowlifes, and so, the police held back. What happened? The city became even more of a crime-ridden slum, and pretty soon, the people were back to asking for police to do their jobs.

Old 11-23-2019, 05:59 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Many people have very strong feelings about being searched, especially without probable cause and they don’t necessarily identify as liberal.
Eh. I wouldn't be crazy about it, but I would comply. All he'd find is my messy trunk - and maybe the source of that odd tuna smell I've noticed the past couple of days. Honest people with nothing to hide would just go along with it, and it's time liberals - and Oregon is one of the worst states - stop with all their anti-police, pro-criminal attitudes. Believe me, when Sanders stood up on the debate stage and announced how he will stand with lawbreakers (illegal aliens), that doesn't warm the hearts of normal citizens.

Old 11-23-2019, 06:03 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Bad decision. It makes people dependent on government. Why didn't this person just exercise her Constitutional rights and say no you can't? Because she is ignorant and like a child can't learn?

And yes they do have a right to ask those questions. It's protected by our 2nd amendment. That amendment isn't there to force people to do something, to tell the truth. It's put in place because one is allowed to say controversial things. Like blacks should be able to marry whites.

We fight the individuals who are violating our trust and we don't need that kind of protection from the benevolent hand of government. Give up freedom for security and you'll get neither.

So now cops can't do it, but when they do guess what will happen to the cop? I'm sure you know the answer. The tax payers will pay the penalty and the cop will walk free.
cops suspect drugs in the car? Just say no to the search and wait for the K-9 which will be called to find the drugs. that's the way it works.... lmao

Old 11-23-2019, 06:06 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's about padding the arrest record.
Totally, it's just fishing for people who don't know their rights.

Which leads folks like me to choose to never converse with cops in any capacity, because I just might say something that is incriminating (relevant to the question or not), so don't say anything.

It makes cops jobs harder in the long run, because they can't be trusted to stick to the purpose of any conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies