Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 11:07 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times

Advertisements

Not smart to bring the device home, should have attached it to another vehicle.. maybe on another drug dealer's vehicle. I don't like drug manufacturers or dealers but to charge him for theft of the tracker wouldn't be a winner in a trial. The other stuff, absolutely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 11:11 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Not smart to bring the device home, should have attached it to another vehicle.. maybe on another drug dealer's vehicle. I don't like drug manufacturers or dealers but to charge him for theft of the tracker wouldn't be a winner in a trial. The other stuff, absolutely.
The war on non-corporate drugs is another wrong. The two wrongs aren't adding up to a right here.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:12 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I sure hope he wins. Should be illegal for them to track him.
It is if they don't have a warrant. They had a warrant, per the OP's article.

I see no reason why a wire-tap, tracking device or having a detective follow him in an unmarked white van should be illegal as long as there is a warrant.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:16 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I'd have dropped it off in the bottom of a porta-john and then just played dumb after that if asked.

Go get it fellas!

Old 11-24-2019, 11:35 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I sure hope he wins. Should be illegal for them to track him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
People in a position of authority who abuse their power like this are just awful. clear abuse of power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Must be some kind of genius LEO that couldn't put a tracker in a concealed enough place the owner wouldn't find it. Unless the car owner had a tracker detector and used it oftern Hmmmmm
Keep talking.

Within a year or two GPS will be standard on all cars, and then police won't have to attach a device, they'll just get a warrant and pull the GPS data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I think this is like a phone tap that is placed secretly after a warrant is attained.
Yes, it requires a search warrant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
poor guy ....

A search warrant to look for the tracker was obtained, and while executing it, deputies allegedly found a glass pipe, such as might be used to smoke methamphetamine, in a desk drawer, according to court records. Based on that paraphernalia, a judge issued another search warrant. Officers then allegedly found the tracker, as well as methamphetamine, pills, a digital scale and a handgun. Heuring was subsequently charged with dealing and possessing drugs and theft.
Well, no one said criminals were big brains.

In looking at the statute:

IC 35-43-4-2 TheftSec. 2. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally exerts unauthorized control over property of another person, with intent to deprive the other person of any part of its value or use, commits theft, a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is:
(1) a Level 6 felony if:
(A) the value of the property is at least seven hundred fifty dollars ($750) and less than fifty thousand dollars ($50,000);
(B) the property is a firearm; or
(C) the person has a prior unrelated conviction for:
(i) theft under this section; or
(ii) criminal conversion under section 3 of this chapter; and
(2) a Level 5 felony if:
(A) the value of the property is at least fifty thousand dollars ($50,000); or
(B) the property that is the subject of the theft is a valuable metal (as defined in IC 25-37.5-1-1) and:
(i) relates to transportation safety;
(ii) relates to public safety; or
(iii) is taken from a hospital or other health care facility, telecommunications provider, public utility (as defined in IC 32-24-1-5.9(a)), or key facility;
and the absence of the property creates a substantial risk of bodily injury to a person.

I'm guessing the police are claiming it "relates to public safety."

Old 11-24-2019, 11:38 AM

19,721 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Keep talking.

Within a year or two GPS will be standard on all cars, and then police won't have to attach a device, they'll just get a warrant and pull the GPS data.

Yes, it requires a search warrant.

Well, no one said criminals were big brains.

IC 35-43-4-2 TheftSec. 2. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally exerts unauthorized control over property of another person, with intent to deprive the other person of any part of its value or use, commits theft, a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is:
(1) a Level 6 felony if:
(A) the value of the property is at least seven hundred fifty dollars ($750) and less than fifty thousand dollars ($50,000);
(B) the property is a firearm; or
(C) the person has a prior unrelated conviction for:
(i) theft under this section; or
(ii) criminal conversion under section 3 of this chapter; and
(2) a Level 5 felony if:
(A) the value of the property is at least fifty thousand dollars ($50,000); or
(B) the property that is the subject of the theft is a valuable metal (as defined in IC 25-37.5-1-1) and:
(i) relates to transportation safety;
(ii) relates to public safety; or
(iii) is taken from a hospital or other health care facility, telecommunications provider, public utility (as defined in IC 32-24-1-5.9(a)), or key facility;
and the absence of the property creates a substantial risk of bodily injury to a person.

I'm guessing the police are claiming it "relates to public safety."
a GPS is not hard to defeat. You can buy the stuff now to turn it off.

Old 11-24-2019, 12:41 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Perhaps to those who enjoy comparing apples to Mack trucks.
If it's theft it's theft, even if the government does it. Same standards should apply to all people, no exceptions.

Old 11-24-2019, 12:49 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

IC 35-43-4-2 TheftSec. 2. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally exerts unauthorized control over property of another person, with intent to deprive the other person of any part of its value or use, commits theft. . . .
I would say it's not the property of "another person" once it's attached to the car.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:13 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I would say it's not the property of "another person" once it's attached to the car.
Right, once they placed it on his car, it became HIS property.

If I were the guy, Id post the story all over social media, so the general public can get involved and know which police dept was doing this.

Old 11-25-2019, 03:13 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yes, allowing private citizens--who likely have zero specialized training on the subject, may be convicted criminals themselves, are not sworn to uphold the law, and are under no obligation to follow any evidentiary standards for collection and presentation--is a far inferior system to what exists today.
That's not the system being discussed. That's just something you made up because you either don't care about the truth or are too ignorant on the subject to discuss it. Either way quit making things up and try to make honest responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies