Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 05:37 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,726,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
This is more of a centrist belief, you'll be surprised that majority of people actually has the same position but end up voting one way or another way depending on who they like or dislike.

Both the Democrats and Republicans are really the same party believe it or not. Because whenever one party takes over the government they do the opposite of what their voters supported.

When Obama was President, his party owned both senate and congress but they failed to give him bills that he wanted. They never delivered a proper immigration bill so Obama ended up going his own way.

Anyways, you should vote for Trump because he is the president that supports all of your beliefs. He is not a conservative at all.

Since all of the democrat nominees are in favor of open border policy, it's clearly a non-starter for you or me.
I’m pretty similar to the OP. The problems that I have with Trump are his ogre demeanor and his 100% allegiance to the religious right and his overzealousness in appointing far right judgeships and SCOTUS appointees. Just like George W before him, he uses the religious righties’ votes, but doesn’t go overboard with reversing gay rights or Roe v Wade as they prefer. I absolutely do think that way too much is wasted on overbloated military and very little for lowering tax burden for middle class and expanding safety net and Social Security for the same middle class.

Last edited by Hopeful for Life; 11-28-2019 at 05:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 04:58 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I would say you are far left ...
Please elaborate. Lol.

(And I do want to see more takes on my stance, hence this bumpity bump)

Old 06-08-2021, 05:04 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Please elaborate. Lol.

(And I do want to see more takes on my stance, hence this bumpity bump)
That posters perspective. When you are far right, most people are left. (and vice versa)

When I take those political tests I end up rated very slightly right.

I have been called both far left and far right.

Im pretty far left on health insurance. I would favor universal health insurance with copays and deductibles. Roughly "everyone gets a hamburger. Steak is available for anyone willing to pay extra on the private market" All the SJW Antifa stuff... pretty far right. etc etc etc

Old 06-08-2021, 05:41 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
I've done those political compass tests and they usually place me on the centre-left. But now I prefer actual humans to 'classify' me. I want to know if I am a liberal, libertarian, social moderate, neocon (doubt that), conservative liberal, or others.

Here is my background:

*Support same sex marriage and equality
*Evolution should always be taught in classrooms and bible lessons should not be mandatory
*Against abortion after 4 months (but it really depends)
*Stricter gun laws (works here in Australia)
*Against mass immigration, especially from conservative Islamic countries
*Multiculturalism is okay, but first generation immigrants must still try to assimilate
*Dislike political correctness and SJWs (not everything is racist, sexist or homophobic)
*Would support Trump if I were in the US (not that I agree with everything he says or does)
*There are only two genders
*Transgender should have the rights to do whatever they want with their body, but only if they're over 18!
*Free healthcare and education
*Religion is unneeded today and I am very critical of Islam, but I have respect for the more peaceful religions, including moderates of any religions
*Prefer some government intervention in businesses
*Climate change is real, but leftist media is exaggerating it
*Feminism is unnecessary in the western world. We need it in Muslim countries, not the US, UK or Canada.
*Gender pay gap between men and women (in the west) is not because of gender, but is due to the inborn biological differences between the sexes.
*Supports Israel and prioritise persecuted Christian/Jewish minorities in the Middle East
*Any country has the rights to protect their borders
*Equally despise Far-Right 'Neo-Nazis' and the Far-Left (Antifa)

Okay, I think that's enough. If you dislike my stance, Please do NOT debate me. I won't waste time with rebuttals. I just want a classification. Perhaps I missed a few pivotal standpoints (you can ask me what I missed and I will address them). Thanks.
Your positions are much like my own (I only disagree with you on three of them, and those not by very much) -- and I label myself as a MODEERATE conservative, but one who is liberal on many social issues.

Not sure there is an actual "name" for that!

Old 06-08-2021, 05:49 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,721 times
The OP is just your average everyday independent. That used to be who the politicians would aim for--they guy on the street: people who have views and opinions, but aren't partisan. They let their conscience and intellect decide their views, rather than making their views fit one side or another.

We have a much healthier political system when politicians have to appeal to people like the OP. Now, they just cultivate their 'base.' This strong momentum forces normal people to pick a side. This creates polarization and discord. If most people could just separate themselves from the noise (and the media), and made a list of things they truly believed, rather than what their party stands for, we'd end up with similar heterodox lists, and the political parties would have to amend their ways.

Old 06-08-2021, 05:51 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,985,179 times
Quote:
I've done those political compass tests and they usually place me on the centre-left. But now I prefer actual humans to 'classify' me. I want to know if I am a liberal, libertarian, social moderate, neocon (doubt that), conservative liberal, or others.

Here is my background:

*Evolution should always be taught in classrooms and bible lessons should not be mandatory
*Multiculturalism is okay, but first generation immigrants must still try to assimilate
*Dislike political correctness and SJWs (not everything is racist, sexist or homophobic)
*Would support Trump if I were in the US (not that I agree with everything he says or does)
*Transgender should have the rights to do whatever they want with their body, but only if they're over 18!
*Religion is unneeded today and I am very critical of Islam, but I have respect for the more peaceful religions, including moderates of any religions
*Feminism is unnecessary in the western world. We need it in Muslim countries, not the US, UK or Canada.
*Gender pay gap between men and women (in the west) is not because of gender, but is due to the inborn biological differences between the sexes.
*Supports Israel and prioritise persecuted Christian/Jewish minorities in the Middle East

Okay, I think that's enough. If you dislike my stance, Please do NOT debate me. I won't waste time with rebuttals. I just want a classification. Perhaps I missed a few pivotal standpoints (you can ask me what I missed and I will address them). Thanks.
The fact that you're looking for other to classify you would suggest that you're into identity politics amirite?

Old 06-08-2021, 11:20 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:

Here is my background:

I'm not much different than yourself. I've ended up voting GOP though because our Democratic party goes against many of my beliefs.

*Pro 2A we don't need anymore new laws, but should strictly enforce the 2000 plus we already have
*Healthcare needs to be addressed, am not sold on "free for all" type of system though
*Religion is the root cause of many of the problems in society, just my opinion. Islam is the worst of all of them though.
*Supports Israel and prioritize persecuted Christian/Jewish minorities in the Middle East

Old 06-08-2021, 11:32 AM

2,367 posts, read 909,441 times
ok I know this is an old thread...

only two items in your list matter:

These are the only items that are related to the economy. The left-right political spectrum is one dimensional and so it can only deals with one issue: economics. You are left leaning.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:33 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:

Here is my background:

Without weighting or ranking the issues in order of importance -- you can fall anywhere along any spectgrum--- lol.

Old 06-08-2021, 12:01 PM

1,073 posts, read 622,665 times
Quote:

Here is my background:

I think you may be my new fav poster. I'm a Christian that respects other peoples beliefs. You are all over the map like myself. Welcome to the "I don't fit in" club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies