Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2019, 04:58 AM

6,008 posts, read 2,258,466 times

Advertisements

Everyone keeps saying buy a used vehicle but in order to buy a used vehicle somebody has to buy it new. If the middle-class cannot afford new vehicles then who the heck is supposed to supply all of these used vehicles?

On top of that used vehicle pricing is rigged. The industry sets the market price for used vehicles so again the middle class gets screwed. Do you think Kelley blue book and Carfax or Edmonds or independent from the industry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 05:00 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,428,033 times
The simple answer is don't buy new. New cars are a horrible investment, especially if you purchase.

I'm 45 years old, make more than the median income - i.e. "can afford" it - and have never in my life owned a new car. I've never had a car payment above $525/mo, either. Never felt like I was missing out on anything.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:01 AM

34,276 posts, read 18,653,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Unions cause car prices to soar. But you should feel compassion for those who can’t buy a $100k vehicle and you buy it for them.

The UNION Pensions are a HUGE part of the price of a car.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Everyone keeps saying buy a used vehicle but in order to buy a used vehicle somebody has to buy it new. If the middle-class cannot afford new vehicles then who the heck is supposed to supply all of these used vehicles?

On top of that used vehicle pricing is rigged. The industry sets the market price for used vehicles so again the middle class gets screwed. Do you think Kelley blue book and Carfax or Edmonds or independent from the industry?
Lease turn-ins.

I bought a <3 year old Ford Fusion Titanium 5 years ago for $17K with ~20K miles on it, from a dealer, not private party. That car was either a lease turn-in or part of a rental fleet. That car was definitely $30K+ when it was new.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:06 AM

17,021 posts, read 12,630,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Sounds like it’s time to make good life choices find a better job.
Some posts are so... out there I wonder whether the poster is even serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yes, many people can help themselves advance economically, some can't for various reasons. I do think autos have gone up in cost more than the rate of inflation, over the past 30 years, but it is difficult to quantify because cars are so different, and more complex today. Plus they typically go higher miles, and last longer.

I remember as a child in 1971 seeing adds for VW Beetles, Ford Pintos and Chevy Vegas for around $2,000. Yes, very basic transportation. Today that would be around $12.708 if you believe the inflation rate over that time period. You can't get a basic, new car for anything near that today.

People spend a LOT on cars today. I many of my neighbors driveways there is well over $100K for two cars sitting there.
You were lucky to get 100K miles out of most cars in 1971. Last car made it to 188K and was fixable but not worth it. Current car is at 145K and still going strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
Ah yes.. The Old bootstrap or get another job quote from the Far Right..

Dincha know that anyone making less than 100K can just go next door and get an offer of 100K? Those that cannot are losers anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
It is economically smarter to buy a used car anyway.
True.

Note that you can get basic for about 18K and a bit better for around 21K (Base Honda Civic with Auto trans).

Old 11-25-2019, 05:06 AM
miu

17,771 posts, read 40,227,414 times
Quote:

America, the ONLY 1st world country where:
Wages has been stagnant for 30 years!
Works more hours then almost any other 1st world nation!
Almost no worker rights!
Almost no vacation compared to all other 1st world nations. 4-6 paid weeks is the norm!
Only 1st world country where Healthcare is tied to their work.. so they up or sideways mobility is nearly non-existent!
Higher education means loans almost for lifetime.. where higher education is paid for by taxpayers in other countries!

American Right Wing talking point...
If you can't get by by a full time job.. you should get one more.

^^^ EXACTLY!!!!! Which is why I say that America is NOT a wealthy country, and we can't afford to take in all of Central America that wants to move to the US. We can't afford to allow illegals (and their children) to stay in America. Deport them all!!! And including the DACAs. Having a child is not a golden ticket into our country. Especially when it costs over $200K for a child in the US to get a public education high school degree.

<- a Conservative

Old 11-25-2019, 06:24 AM

996 posts, read 381,385 times
Quote:

America, the ONLY 1st world country where:
Wages has been stagnant for 30 years!
Works more hours then almost any other 1st world nation!
Almost no worker rights!
Almost no vacation compared to all other 1st world nations. 4-6 paid weeks is the norm!
Only 1st world country where Healthcare is tied to their work.. so they up or sideways mobility is nearly non-existent!
Higher education means loans almost for lifetime.. where higher education is paid for by taxpayers in other countries!

American Right Wing talking point...
If you can't get by by a full time job.. you should get one more.

Then move up the earnings ladder.
Supplement your income .
That's a choice. To be productive or not with your time.
The only worker rights you need is freedom.
Is the purpose of work to gain less work time ?
The harder you work ,the luckier you get.
You should learn to appreciate the things in life you have to work the hardest for.

It isn't a talking point, it is a suggestion for financial growth and happiness.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:48 AM

6,008 posts, read 2,258,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Lease turn-ins.

I bought a <3 year old Ford Fusion Titanium 5 years ago for $17K with ~20K miles on it, from a dealer, not private party. That car was either a lease turn-in or part of a rental fleet. That car was definitely $30K+ when it was new.
Perhaps that is where the industry goes, lease if you can afford or buy the leased vehicle used. Move away from big lots full of new cars for purchase outside of work trucks ect.

This is where many European car companies have moved to. Most of Mercedes cars are leased then bought used so it could work. Not sure if it would support the industry as it stand now, may need to let some die off.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Perhaps that is where the industry goes, lease if you can afford or buy the leased vehicle used. Move away from big lots full of new cars for purchase outside of work trucks ect.

This is where many European car companies have moved to. Most of Mercedes cars are leased then bought used so it could work. Not sure if it would support the industry as it stand now, may need to let some die off.
Interesting times, for certain.

Odd that families can't afford new cars in this "booming, best-ever" economy, though.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:53 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,130,365 times
Funny that people make fun of the bootstrappers...yet they are complaining about not affording things! Maybe buy a clue and see that it CAN be done...people do it all the time.

I know, it's hard and you'd rather whine and cry and have stuff handed to you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies