Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2019, 03:49 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Lol I know you weren't talking to me but you think someone is jealous of living in New Jersey?

Are you kidding me? It would be cool to have access to NYC, that's it.

The taxes eat people alive there.
Yup.. can't fight jealousy.... why else would people who have zero interest in something keep poking at it?

lol

Yes taxes are higher but so are wages, access to NYC (as you pointed out), and the area does have a lot to offer. As I said, each state has pros/cons. You have to pick and choose. If the size of your home is important, then yeh... its a no brainer to live in a cheaper area. It isn't important to me as much as access t to a wide variety of things that are important to me.... I'll be able to retire early and mortgage will be done well before age 50. My father has lived in his home in TX purchased in 1981. I bought mine in 2001 for less than his 2001 value. I'm looking at 3x the equity now... not so much for him.

I grew up in the Texas and surrounding states btw.... sorry... yeh cheap living... but won't be going back. Not much else offered that is important to me.

I'm not saying that my choices are better or that any one state is better in all aspects. People obviously choose to live in these states for reasons they find important to them... can't judge based on biases of one's own individual preferences.

People who constant start bashing threads in these areas (CA esp), obviously need a new hobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 04:07 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Yup.. can't fight jealousy.... why else would people who have zero interest in something keep poking at it?
Because I lived in Los Angeles and my inlaws are all from upstate NY. I'm not poking at anything but the taxes in both states are beyond ridiculous.

Old 11-28-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Because I lived in Los Angeles and my inlaws are all from upstate NY. I'm not poking at anything but the taxes in both states are beyond ridiculous.
Higher than most states .. sure... but you don't seem to know much beyond the NYC metro area of NNJ. There are reasonable areas West, Central and South NJ. Most of those areas are going to be more reasonable than LA and up state NY due to property values being more reasonable.

When people talk about NJ, they only seem to refer to the North Eastern part closest to the NYC. They think that NJ is industrial sprawl.. high populated areas.. What they don't realize is that a lot of NJ is quite rural and quite different from the areas near NYC.

I'm 20 minute walk to a train station that takes me to NY Penn station.... Low property taxes alone isn't going to convince me to move back to TX.

Last edited by usayit; 11-28-2019 at 04:29 PM..

Old 11-28-2019, 04:18 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Higher than most states .. sure... but you don't seem to know much beyond the NYC metro area of NNJ. There are reasonable areas West, Central and South NJ. Most of those areas are going to be more reasonable than LA and up state NY due to property values being more reasonable.

When people talk about NJ, they only seem to refer to the North Eastern part closest to the NYC. They think that NJ is industrial sprawl.. high populated areas.. What they don't realize is that a lot of NJ is quite rural and quite different from the areas near NYC.

I'm 20 minute walk to a train station that takes me to NY Penn station....
Yeah, the Pine Barrens in south Jersey are miles after miles of coastal plain forest

Old 11-28-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Yeah, the Pine Barrens in south Jersey are miles after miles of coastal plain forest

Absolutely... This area has A LOT to offer. NYC (Broadway, dining, shows, etc) one evening... mountain biking through the woods another. Not to mention relatively mild weather while still experiencing 4 seasons. No worries about hurricanes or major catastrophic natural events. Diversity and access to decent schools etc...

It is what you make of it.

People pick on these states are cherry picking the cons without actually knowing any of the pros.

I have a few friends that live in CA (also former Texans). They like what that state has to offer. I personally wouldn't like to live there; I'm not a fan of CA. But I'm certainly not going to bash it just because that state doesn't suit my preferences.

Don't like it.. live somewhere else... US is pretty large.

Old 11-29-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:

I'm 20 minute walk to a train station that takes me to NY Penn station.... Low property taxes alone isn't going to convince me to move back to TX.
If you like the North, more power to you. But you do realize you're paying insane taxes to fund pensions etc, probably for many in crime.

NJ isn't a state on my short list, sorry. The property taxes are pure insanity there, just like they are in Rochester where my DH is from.

I'm not jealous of anyone living in New Jersey. There is no place in the world I'd rather live than right where I do. We pay virtually nothing in taxes and it's a gorgeous area and laid back. But still plenty of amenities.

Old 11-29-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I'm not jealous of anyone living in New Jersey. There is no place in the world I'd rather live than right where I do. We pay virtually nothing in taxes and it's a gorgeous area and laid back. But still plenty of amenities.
I'll respond with a previous response.

Quote:
I'm not saying that my choices are better or that any one state is better in all aspects. People obviously choose to live in these states for reasons they find important to them... can't judge based on biases of one's own individual preferences.
If taxes are that important to you.. fine. No one is bashing TN so why people bash states you obviously know very little about. People sure spend a lot of time starting threads on these areas/states... either need a new hobby or simply jealous. Glad you are happy in TN... but why are you wasting your time posting here then.... hmm?

As for me, I'm a frugal and saver... so taxation liability is relatively small compared to my salary. I like providing for my children, opportunities to experience things, access to good educational systems, paying off mortgage early, and retiring early on the faster rise of home equity and other investments. Vacations areas (NY/NYC, NJ shore, DE, ME, Virginia, PA) are all accessible without the expensive travel expenses of 5 persons. Weather is great too.

Last edited by usayit; 11-29-2019 at 06:06 PM..

Old 11-29-2019, 06:09 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
NY and CA are losing population and seen as unsustainable to the middle class.and seem to be self sorting into the very rich and very poor, utilizing generous welfare in the states.

Businneses are opting not to be in either state and they still raise taxes for more government actions.

What's the long term outlook here? How can these states continue?
They have free choice. They choose their Leadership and their Laws and Regulation .
The Federal Government and US Taxpayers have to allow them to sink or swim ...

We are a Republic and each State needs to deal with what THEY have decided is best for them.
Bottom Line .... not our problem. They have States Rights, which do NOT include other States to Bail them out of poor decisions.

Old 11-29-2019, 06:40 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Or not. I'll keep on living my solid middle class life in CA. And if you'll excuse, me, I think it's time for a run on the beach. 66 degrees in that weird system all y'all are using, should be pleasant.
I wouldn't go for a run on the beach in CA barefoot because the beaches are probably filled with needles full of drugs.

Old 11-29-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I'll respond with a previous response.

If taxes are that important to you.. fine. No one is bashing TN so why people bash states you obviously know very little about. People sure spend a lot of time starting threads on these areas/states... either need a new hobby or simply jealous. Glad you are happy in TN... but why are you wasting your time posting here then.... hmm?

As for me, I'm a frugal and saver... so taxation liability is relatively small compared to my salary. I like providing for my children, opportunities to experience things, access to good educational systems, paying off mortgage early, and retiring early on the faster rise of home equity and other investments. Vacations areas (NY/NYC, NJ shore, DE, ME, Virginia, PA) are all accessible without the expensive travel expenses of 5 persons. Weather is great too.
You don't know what I know or don't know, and you're pretty defensive.

I never bashed NJ I just said the taxes are outrageous there-- that's a fact. They are also in NY. And California. And Illinois.

Bash Tennessee all you want; the less people that move here, the better. It's like a zoo here. It's good for my house value but nothing but way more traffic and congestion otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies