Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 11:27 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
NY is full of illegals who get welfare saying the language barrier keeps them from earning money. Yes, they get welfare!

Yeah, and Florida hires all of those illegals, under the table, at slightly above slave wages, stealing all of those wonderful jobs Americans would gladly do for minimum wage. Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 11:38 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
And, factor in those who would never leave no matter the cost of remaining. I have family in Ca. and NYC. If I were to offer them 5 million dollars to move to Texas they would laugh out loud and tell me to save the money for their kids.

My sil pays 6000 a month for a rent stabilized apartment. But up the street low income people can still buy in one of those buildings that the city financed for the renters to purchase their apartment for 250 bucks. All you need is some cash and limited annual income.
It's a weird dynamic that Team Red is trying to selling us: if all taxation was equal across the board and COL was equal across the board then supply and demand for housing & jobs would also be equal between Santa Monica and Little Rock.

You get what you pay for. It would be the same way without a government. I don't know how this is so hard to understand.

I mean...did people move to the Rust Belt 70-80 years ago for the weather and physical beauty? No, they moved there because they could get a job with a 3rd grade education and little to no skills that paid for their home, wife, kids, health care, and car. You worked hard, sure, but there it was: Americana.

Again, I don't understand how this is so hard to understand.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacommonwealth View Post
How many people live in Malibu? 12,000 people?

How many people live in Stockton, Fresno, Bakersfield, Salinas, Moreno Valley, Hawthorne? There is a reason California has the biggest secession movement in the country, the proposed State of Jefferson. Taxes and representation.

Upstate NY and Manhattan quite different in terms of prosperity as well.
Sure, it's not equal across the entire state whether we are talking about NY, CA, or even Illinois.

I drive to Vegas from Santa Monica pretty often since my brother moved to Sin City. I'll stop in Barstow or Baker for a bathroom break or a beverage. Gas is $9 billion per gallon, there is no ocean, it's relatively flat in comparison to coastal L.A., it's 110 degrees (while it's 72 in Santa Monica), and the people around town look like extras from the Walking Dead.

Plop my apartment down in Barstow or Baker and I immediately reduce my rent by at least 70%. And then I have to live there.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:54 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Yes NYC and CA are turning into over taxed crapholes for the rich with potholes in the road and most of the money going to the corrupt union bosses and the LIBS running the school systems.........but there's a secret most don't know and they should..............

To all the ones who think they are putting out a message by leaving in a huff.......here's the secret.......

THE LIBERAL ELiTES COuLD CARE LESS!.....they would be happy if half the state of CA got up and left........so there ya have it.......they want you and I to leave, the sooner the better.......
I'm well aware that Sacramento couldn't care less who leaves. When Toyota moved to Texas they didn't even blink. Next year I'm a native middle class business owner who is cashing out and leaving Ca for Az. I have no illusions I'll be missed in the slightest. Just one of many uhauls heading for the border.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:54 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Another silly thread.

NY and CA. are two of the greatest economic engines driving the USA and the World.

If you want to worry about economic collapse, consider:

1. Trillion dollar Federal Deficits and more and more national debt.
2. Failure of Federal Government to address health care.
3. The basic fact that MANY areas have ALREADY collapsed. I invite you to tour many areas of the coal mining country, the rust belt, etc. and witness it first hand.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Yeah, and Florida hires all of those illegals, under the table, at slightly above slave wages, stealing all of those wonderful jobs Americans would gladly do for minimum wage. Right?
No doubt Florida and Texas love their slave wages...some of the lowest min. wages in the USA and immigrant friendly Ag work policies. Between those two states I think we are talking 4 Million quasi-legal and illegal workers...let alone 10 million low wage Americans.......

Sad.

Old 11-24-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

I mean...did people move to the Rust Belt 70-80 years ago for the weather and physical beauty? No, they moved there because they could get a job with a 3rd grade education and little to no skills that paid for their home, wife, kids, health care, and car. You worked hard, sure, but there it was: Americana.

Again, I don't understand how this is so hard to understand.
Team Red wants you to believe that since most Whites were able to flee some of this places and blacks and brown people couldn't (no money) - that, therefore, the poor people who couldn't leave are responsible for the policies that sent the places downhill.

The very thought to them that Black Folks moved somewhere for jobs doesn't make sense...yet when the same loss of jobs, low wages and failure to invest causes the white community to die earlier, be hopeless and consumer massive amounts of opiates and meth....the very same people say "poor baby, you have a disease that we can cure".

Old 11-24-2019, 12:02 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
As long as CA keeps up my direct deposit what happens there is none of my business. I visit family once a year and that's enough for me.

Old 11-24-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
As long as CA keeps up my direct deposit what happens there is none of my business. I visit family once a year and that's enough for me.
I cashed out my government money. My hope is every government collapses.

Old 11-24-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Team Red wants you to believe that since most Whites were able to flee some of this places and blacks and brown people couldn't (no money) - that, therefore, the poor people who couldn't leave are responsible for the policies that sent the places downhill.

The very thought to them that Black Folks moved somewhere for jobs doesn't make sense...yet when the same loss of jobs, low wages and failure to invest causes the white community to die earlier, be hopeless and consumer massive amounts of opiates and meth....the very same people say "poor baby, you have a disease that we can cure".
I don't think this makes sense.

Rural conservative areas in this country have always been hellholes and always will be.

Economically, culturally, aesthetically and infrastructure-wise (health care, transportation).

It's a nightmare.

The sweet spot, generally speaking, for those priced out of the coasts is to find a suburban/semi-rural area that's pretty close to a major city in a lowish taxation/lowish COL state. Your economy, culture, aesthetics, and infrastructure are decent enough while paying 60% to 70% less in rent than I do in Santa Monica.

Outside of a Cleveland or an Indianapolis comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies