Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 05:34 PM

88,556 posts, read 44,263,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
NY has had high property taxes forever. As far as a welfare state, that's been forever, too. They did reform the system ? a while back to help a bit.

Property taxes high, but you don't pay high water bills (as many sunbelt states do), high yearly car registrations (as Florida, NC and ? other states do) and other things. Dining out is inexpensive in many NY cities (upstate). Painters and home repairman are not as high as some states I've lived in either. It's a wash. I think every state gets you, just in different ways.
NC? It costs me $36/year to renew my registration in NC. In IL, I paid $101/year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 05:42 PM

18,423 posts, read 9,043,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Wrong. Businesses are leaving both states due to high taxes.
[citation needed]

Old 11-24-2019, 07:00 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,000,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
I'll be right behind ya Finper......another middle class business owner cashing out and heading to AZ....
See ya there!
We’ve got our own problems here in Arizona. I love it here, but this ain’t utopia by a long shot.
Quote:
NY has had high property taxes forever. As far as a welfare state, that's been forever, too. They did reform the system ? a while back to help a bit.

Property taxes high, but you don't pay high water bills (as many sunbelt states do), high yearly car registrations (as Florida, NC and ? other states do) and other things. Dining out is inexpensive in many NY cities (upstate). Painters and home repairman are not as high as some states I've lived in either. It's a wash. I think every state gets you, just in different ways.
Exactly. You’re not gonna get off cheap anywhere you go. One states takes this but gives you that, the other takes that but gives you this. Ultimately, you gotta pay your freight no matter where you go.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:09 PM

39,793 posts, read 26,284,582 times
https://nypost.com/2019/11/22/new-yo...SLKwTNBpDh9owI

Quote:
Gov. Cuomo faces a growing budget mess as officials projected a shocking $6.1 billion hole in the state’s finances next year.

The figure was provided by the state Division of Budget in its mid-year budget report, which was released weeks after its legally mandated due date.

That tallies up to roughly 6 percent of the state’s $102 billion budget for its agencies and operations.

More than half of the gap — $4 billion — is linked to a dramatic rise in the state’s Medicaid costs.
The state of NY pretty much has collapsed already. Outside of NYC, businesses have left in droves, forced out by obscene taxes and regulations. People can't afford to live in the state with the highest taxes in the nation, unless they are part of the small percent that works in the metro area in law or finance with outsized salaries. The rest of the state that has to survive by actually producing things can't afford the burden of Albany. Upstate cities are a mass of abandoned warehouses, boarded up main streets and far too often abandoned houses. I left 25 years ago...and was one of the last of the top students from my graduating class to leave.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:28 PM

13,570 posts, read 10,272,378 times
Quote:

Yep. Take Texas for example. They don't have an state income tax, but in many places their property tax rates are high. And because it's a lot hotter in the summertime than where I live (the SF Bay Area) - my utility bills are going to be pretty high. My property tax in CA is capped by Prop 13 so the rate I'm paying is fairly low considering the value of the property.

It can be less costly to live, say, in Dallas or Houston compared with San Jose but it won't be as cheap as you think - depending on the situation.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:33 PM

29,776 posts, read 18,638,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Illinois will collapse first. But NY and CA are not far behind.
illinos goes first then NJ.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:46 PM

8,013 posts, read 3,575,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They owe HUGE unfunded liabilities in the form of public employee pensions plus benefits, and they can't print money.

And I agree with the other poster that Illinois will be the first to fail. Each Chicago household owes $126,000 in taxes for unfunded public employee pensions plus benefits.

https://www.suntimes.com/platform/am...c-debt-126-000
The US national debt is at about 70k per capita. And the total is growing at a 1 trillion + rate due to the irresponsible "tax cuts". That's happening in a "good economy". Questions?

Old 11-24-2019, 09:05 PM

24,453 posts, read 33,130,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
The US national debt is at about 70k per capita. And the total is growing at a 1 trillion + rate due to the irresponsible "tax cuts". That's happening in a "good economy". Questions?
Tax cuts do not cause debt. Overspending does.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:11 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,838,709 times
Debt has the potential to bring down the whole system. My guess is that they will devalue the dollar.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:15 PM

8,013 posts, read 3,575,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Tax cuts do not cause debt. Overspending does.
First they just did.
Second, Yep, cut the 1 trillion + military expense immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies