Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 07:43 PM

10,631 posts, read 4,265,562 times

Advertisements

2018 Republicans won Florida Governorship and Senate, so its a Red State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 08:00 PM

77,977 posts, read 60,166,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
As usual the OP shoots him/her/itself in the foot.

Top 5 states:

Minnesota - blue state
Massachusetts - blue state
Virginia - increasingly blue state
Florida - purple state
New Jersey - blue state
I do not agree with the OP's broken logic and horrible thread I can't respond to them because I have them on ignore.

However, I have to laugh at your inherent assumption that the test scores in those states that might split 55/45 are the exact same for both portions of the voting group.

Lastly, if you don't want to be a raging hypocrite you probably need to stop bleating about people axe-grinding on California. The other posters here might not know about your posts to the KS forum doing the same thing with dubious statistics but I do.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:02 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,834,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Every one can post simplistic statistics defending their point of view.

Demographics is the number one statistic that influences school ratings.

The Houston ISD used to post test scores of each school by demographics. Asians and whites nearly universally finished first and second. Hispanics and blacks third and fourth.
It is universal with Asians and whites being close and a big gap for third with fourth being close. Leftist want to import much of Latin American and other low achievement cultures then blame whites but not Asians and blame conservatives for the decreasing academic achievement and disparity .

Leftists like are arsonists claiming to be firefighters lol.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:37 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,385,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Utah paid the lowest at $6,953/student and NY paid the highest at $22,366/student. Interesting.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:51 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,135,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
California ranks #44. The great state of Texas is #12 on 4th grade math scores

Okay, that's 4th grade. What about SAT scores when comes time to apply to college?

SAT scores: California ranks #33, while Texas ranks #43. (source)

Texas' ranking is terrible -- after doing well in 4th grade they fall from #12 all the way to #43. At least in California the relative ranking improves a little as they go through school.

Obviously they are doing something wrong in Texas. Maybe they should spend less money on fancy high school football stadiums and more on education.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:51 PM

29,462 posts, read 16,420,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
You outright and mockingly dismissing my explanation doesn't invite honest conversation.
Im not sure how you come to that conclusion. You are asking me to lie and be dishonest. That would not invite honest conversation, where as me saying I dont believe you is a statement of truth.

Mind you, your statement isnt really up for debate here. At worst, it was back handed, at best it was disingenuous. Whats the point in trying to pretend otherwise ? unless you are saying you didnt understand the very words you typed ? is that it ?

Quote:
If the issue was only "illegals," you'd have a point, but I'm sure we can point to black and legal Latino citizen children who are also bringing down education success statistics in California. And, indeed, only 3% of the school-aged population in California is illegal, so you're giving them too much credit so to speak: https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...-undocumented/. In any case, that state bends over backward to accommodate illegals and their families with ESL classes and other measures. Its funny that Asian immigrant children--who also aren't part of "the system" seem to be doing just fine
the difference between 44th place and 25th place, is 3 percentage points.

Student in poverty score on average 20 points lower than those who are not in poverty.

and while only 3% of students identify as illegal, 12% say they have a parent who is illegal. We are talking about a pretty large chunk that affect that average of scores.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:57 PM

20,784 posts, read 9,417,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
..The other posters here might not know about your posts to the KS forum doing the same thing with dubious statistics but I do.
I told you a week or two ago that I have said almost nothing about Kansas statistics. I'm not even sure I've ever posted in the Kansas section, except maybe a few times on some minor issues. You're confusing me with someone else.

Old 11-25-2019, 03:43 AM

37,937 posts, read 17,789,742 times
No way Texas is at 244 when the national average is 240. Unless a bunch of 1st generation Asians and East Indians all of a sudden moved in and boosted the test scores I don't believe it.

Old 11-25-2019, 04:02 AM

5,956 posts, read 2,205,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Florida has a very low percentage of children also which means that the system isn't overwhelmed.

I don't even know why California even bothers having a public education system, it's a disease spreading, gang recruiting daycare service for a vast majority of the state. The reality is a vast majority of the current students in the schools in California wasting taxpayer money are just going to repeat the cycle and have children early and often. So I don't even know why that state bothers.

Florida doesn't have that widespread baby after baby culture that California has outside of a few micro-areas.

I have not been all over Florida, just Tampa, Sarasota and Orlando areas but there I didn't see the huge poor families with multiple children they can't afford to take of like when ever I have been in much of California.

California has a culture of poor families having way too many children, the schools are packed because poor and middle-class Californians have extremely numbers of children they can't afford.

When ever I have been in Southern California I was stunned by the amount of people who can't put together cohesive sentence in English who have 3 to 5 kids in tow.
If you have visited Tampa then and did not see that then you didn't bother looking. There are just over 200,000 students enrolled in grade school in Tampa, FL. Tampa is in Hillsborough County, the same county that is 1 Billion (Yes 1 Billion) in the hole due to lack of funding for school repairs, actual school building to accommodate the number of children, and lack good high schools that have a grade above C.

Sarasota is a retirement community with a small city comprised of service jobs to accommodate the Snowbirds. Orlando is tricky because it is actually two cities, the one people visit on vacation and the actual city people live in day to day. The Actual city of Orlando has the same issues as Tampa.

All this Praise of Florida schools would come as a surprise to residents of Florida, parents here have a completely different view and it's not positive. Just go to the Tampa, Florida forum on this site and read the post about schools, you wont find many positive post.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:08 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,415,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
2018 Republicans won Florida Governorship and Senate, so its a Red State.
Florida is a still a purple state, aka swing state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_st...nd_blue_states

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swing_state

the term swing state refers to any state that could reasonably be won by either the Democratic or Republican presidential candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies