Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 06:47 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,574,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
.....but I really thought the area and country had progressed to the point where people would not feel comfortable putting their bigotry on display.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/h...rs/4294021002/
That's an odd statement for someone who puts their own bigotry on display here on C-D multiple times every day.

Every
Stinking
Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 06:55 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,701,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The country on net HAS progressed to the point where people of any race don't act like idiots. Exceptions don't prove rules.

I can find an example in every single race demographic of a hateful bigot, but common sense and simply going out in public tells me that is the exception, not the rule. Of all the people I know and count as close friends, not one would ever act like anyone in that video. I may be sheltered in my middle class life, but I have friends from all across the race demographic spectrum, and stuff like that video, while ugly and sad, is not my normal day to day experience in these United States, at least the northeast Ohio part anyway.

One squeaky hinge on one door doesn't mean the entire house needs be to condemned.
I am not saying that exceptions proves rules. What I am saying is that what lurks in peoples subconscious is not necissarily what one sees from the outside looking in. How many times do we hear of people who have committed some kind of crime then hear their neighbors say they thought he was a nice guy or never had signs that they could do such a thing. People often repress certain thoughts or acting on certain thoughts based upon what is or is not socially acceptable. After all, most people want to fit in and be accepted by society.

People with certain beliefs and thoughts don't like expressing them.....without probable cause. Ergo, once a black person or person(s) do something that ones social group finds negative.....they feel freer to release those negative subconscious feelings toward blacks, thinking that their social peers will be more accepting of it given that it was brought on by blacks behaving badly.

Old 11-26-2019, 06:58 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
According to the article, it was the Almont fans who were shouting out racial insults, spitting on coaches and players, hurling food containers, etc.

According to a guy filming the game, the racial insults started when the players took a knee during the national anthem.

Wonder why Almont fans were so upset over players exercising their Constitutional rights.

Old 11-26-2019, 06:59 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
.....but I really thought the area and country had progressed to the point where people would not feel comfortable putting their bigotry on display.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/h...rs/4294021002/
I use to witness this in the early 80s as well.

When my mostly white swim team would go to meets at mostly black schools in DC, we would invariably be jeered and called names. I really thought the city and area had progressed to the point where people realized we were not the Klan riding in on horseback.

I took comfort in that it was clearly not a majority of black students engaging in racist behavior.

Guess that is not the answer you were looking for.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:03 AM

52,706 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I use to witness this in the early 80s as well.

When my mostly white swim team would go to meets at mostly black schools in DC, we would invariably be jeered and called names. I really thought the city and area had progressed to the point where people realized we were not the Klan riding in on horseback.

I took comfort in that it was clearly not a majority of black students engaging in racist behavior.

Guess that is not the answer you were looking for.
now you will be treated to a lecture about how it was your fault, they were merely reacting to your centuries of white 'racism', ad nauseaum.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
That's an odd statement for someone who puts their own bigotry on display here on C-D multiple times every day.

Every
Stinking
Day
Everyday....then you must have PLENTY of examples of it. Lets see you quote them You do know how the quote function works....right?

What you really mean to say is that you are sick of hearing about racist incidents by whites. The question is why? Why don't you tire of hearing about "liberals" or "conservatives"? There are 10 times more threads about liberalism and conservatism than there are about race and racism.....yet you are sick of hearing about one and not the other? My guess is that you are okay with liberal vs conservatism because you are on one side of the debate and don't feel disadvantaged in the debate. In other words, you have plenty of evidence and ammunition to use against the opposition and what the opposition did to your side. You don't have that when it comes to issues of race. Blacks can talk about all the things that whites have done to blacks....and whites pretty much got nothing to say as an offset. Thus, it looks like a bashing of whites because whites really have no come back about what we have done to them.....unlike the liberal conservative debate.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:05 AM

50,247 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Another thread obsessing over race.

Is race all you think about?
Must be a tough life like that.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:08 AM

2,923 posts, read 977,294 times
as long as you respond to racial slurs they will continue to be used....they are done to get under your skin

Old 11-26-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
now you will be treated to a lecture about how it was your fault, they were merely reacting to your centuries of white 'racism', ad nauseaum.
Thanks....I was going to say that At least you KNOW that actions create reactions and that if white society is denigrating and oppressing blacks that there will be an equal and opposite reaction to that from blacks.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Must be a tough life like that.
Hmmmmm......maybe we see racism in the way you see TAXES. I am not obsessing over taxes....why are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies