Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 09:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abderian View Post
But do the vaccines kids receive now contain the same ingredients as the ones children used to receive? I know the MMR's formulation changed in 1979 when they replaced the rubella vaccine portion which used to be made with duck embryo and dog kidney cells with the aborted fetal cell line WI-38. (The MMR also contains the aborted fetal cell line MRC-5).
If anything, the vaccines are "cleaner".

Old 11-26-2019, 09:19 PM

530 posts, read 175,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
If anything, the vaccines are "cleaner".
In what way?

I find it interesting that Japan, a country touted for its healthy long-living people use measles-rubella combination vaccines that are made with rabbit kidney cells or quail embryo fibroblasts, NOT human fetal cell lines.

Quote:
Most live attenuated rubella vaccines used throughout the world contain the RA 27/3 virus strain (Plotkin, 1965). Exceptions are vaccines produced inChina (BRD2 virus strain) and Japan (Matsuba, Takahashi, and TO-336), produced on rabbit kidney cells, and the Matsuura strain, produced on quail embryo fibroblasts.
Information Sheet Observed Rate of Vaccine Reactions Measles, Mumps And Rubella Vaccines

(Note: the RA 27/3 rubella virus is attenuated in WI-38 aborted human cells.)

Old 11-26-2019, 10:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
In what way?

I find it interesting that Japan, a country touted for its healthy long-living people use measles-rubella combination vaccines that are made with rabbit kidney cells or quail embryo fibroblasts, NOT human fetal cell lines.

Information Sheet Observed Rate of Vaccine Reactions Measles, Mumps And Rubella Vaccines

(Note: the RA 27/3 rubella virus is attenuated in WI-38 aborted human cells.)
Fewer antigens: https://vaxopedia.org/2016/09/07/antigens-in-vaccines/
"Even considering that kids get multiple doses of many of these vaccines, with today’s complete vaccine schedule, from birth to age 18, including yearly flu shots, they would get a combined total of just 653 antigens. That’s still much less than a single dose of the DTP vaccine that kids got until 1997, when it was replaced by the DTaP vaccine.

With the 1980 immunization schedule, kids got 5 doses of DTP, 4 doses of OPV, a dose of MMR, and a dose of Td, combining to a grand total of at least 15,096 antigens."

I find it interesting that many people tout this mythical "Japanese Vaccination Schedule" that is supposed to be so wonderful.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion.../#.Xd4L0tV7mUk
"Japan's backward vaccination policy"

The Japanese media created so much FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) about the MMR vaccine that many people just skipped it altogether, leading to a current measles and rubella epidemic. Plus, for a while Japan only gave rubella vaccine to females, leaving half the population susceptible and transmitting the disease. There have been cases of congenital rubella syndrome in Japan.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ak-in-a-decade
"Japan Battles Worst Measles Outbreak in a Decade"

https://www.vaxbeforetravel.com/ecdc...ubella-threats
"Pregnant Women Warned To Avoid Japan’s Measles and Rubella Outbreaks
ECDC monitoring Japan Rugby World Cup 2019 to detect measles and rubella threats"

https://www.vaxbeforetravel.com/preg...bella-outbreak
"Japan’s Rubella Outbreak Reaches 1,658 Cases in 2019
Pregnant women advised not to visit Japan by CDC Level 2 Travel Alert regarding rubella outbreak"

"On May 3, 2019, a study estimated the potential number of CRS cases in Japan could reach 98 women during 2019."

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-26-2019 at 11:31 PM..

Old 11-26-2019, 11:24 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Yes, and twice in my adult life (before starting college and after cancer treatment), I've had my titers checked and vaccines updated. I keep up with the recommended booster schedule.

I also absolutely get my flu vaccine each year. Two years ago, my best friend didn't - we normally went together but we missed the work date. I went to a CVS, she didn't. She died. I found her dead in her apartment. I have zero patience or tolerance for people who do not get the flu vaccine.

Old 11-26-2019, 11:54 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I also absolutely get my flu vaccine each year. Two years ago, my best friend didn't - we normally went together but we missed the work date. I went to a CVS, she didn't. She died. I found her dead in her apartment. I have zero patience or tolerance for people who do not get the flu vaccine.
Are you saying your friend died because she did not get a flu vaccine? Are you also saying you have no sympathy for her because she did not get the vaccine? That's a little harsh isn't it?

Old 11-27-2019, 12:35 AM

530 posts, read 175,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Fewer antigens: https://vaxopedia.org/2016/09/07/antigens-in-vaccines/
"Even considering that kids get multiple doses of many of these vaccines, with today’s complete vaccine schedule, from birth to age 18, including yearly flu shots, they would get a combined total of just 653 antigens. That’s still much less than a single dose of the DTP vaccine that kids got until 1997, when it was replaced by the DTaP vaccine.

With the 1980 immunization schedule, kids got 5 doses of DTP, 4 doses of OPV, a dose of MMR, and a dose of Td, combining to a grand total of at least 15,096 antigens."
That doesn't address what I mentioned,

Quote:
But do the vaccines kids receive now contain the same ingredients as the ones children used to receive? I know the MMR's formulation changed in 1979 when they replaced the rubella vaccine portion which used to be made with duck embryo and dog kidney cells with the aborted fetal cell line WI-38. (The MMR also contains the aborted fetal cell line MRC-5).
(Note: I don't know about the accuracy of the following list of vaccine ingredients. The CDC recently eliminated WI-38 from the MMR vaccines, even though Merck's package insert says it's still in there):

Vaccine Excipient Summary
Excipients Included in U.S. Vaccines, by Vaccine

Quote:
I find it interesting that many people tout this mythical "Japanese Vaccination Schedule" that is supposed to be so wonderful.
I didn't say a thing about their schedule. It's just weird that only they (and China) use rubella vaccines that aren't made with aborted fetal cell lines, even though the WHO claims that it's better.

Old 11-27-2019, 04:30 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I've seen a neighbor who didn't get the flu vaccine two years ago suffer all kinds of long lasting (maybe permanent) damage from that particular strain - it was a bad one.

When I became a HS teacher and was surrounded by germ ridden teens, day in, day out, I got that flu shot each and every year.

Now that I'm retired, I still do.

Adults are free to make their own mistakes.

When you were still working, were you offered a Hep. B vaccination? Yes, under OSHA you can sign a statement saying that you refuse, but understand that you are putting yourself at risk, and can change your mind and the vaccine will be offered to you for free.

Is this only in certain states? Maybe only for Special Ed staff? Is that now considered a healthcare profession?

I bring this up because there is talk in NY now about passing legislation for all public school staff to be required to be vaccinated. For what vaccies? Same as the students? NYS seems to now want to go farther than California.

I am now retired but my SIL still teaches HS in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies