Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 07:38 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The climate change Hoax has been invented to control us globally. It is a global entity used to control the world and what they do.. it is to take power away from every country and dictate to them what they can and cannot do. America is keeping its sovereignty and not biting .. Trump is not a globalist. He is for Americans first.
But everyone likes a sugar daddy and sucker more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 06:35 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
The Great Blizzards of 1888 and 1899, the Great Lakes Storm of 1913, the Knickerbocker Storm of 1922, and the Armistice Blizzard of 1940, were all huge weather events that happened before global warming. Mother Nature has a way of shaking things up on her own, every now and a then.

That said, until ALL humans understand and realize that our abnormally high population numbers are negatively affecting our tiny planet, we are all doomed. When our population numbers are heading towards 8 billion completely unchecked, our energy, housing, food and water, and waste disposal needs are going to crush most lifeforms on this planet, including us. And until these climate accord meetings address our population numbers, I am not going to bend over backwards to stop eating beef and dairy products, go all solar-powered electric and do away with using fossil fuels.

In the meantime, my carbon footprint is small enough. I chose not to have children (saving our planet from a giant pile of used diapers, empty baby food and juice box containers), I keep my fuel efficient Hondas for up to 21 years rather than being a solitary driver of a gas guzzling SUV or over-engineered vehicle that is disposed of after the factory warranty ends, and I buy very few items that are brand new, and I try very hard to only drink my water from the tap and from a Nalgene bottle.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
The Great Blizzards of 1888 and 1899, the Great Lakes Storm of 1913, the Knickerbocker Storm of 1922, and the Armistice Blizzard of 1940, were all huge weather events that happened before global warming. Mother Nature has a way of shaking things up on her own, every now and a then.
Add to those the following:
  1. The Valley Forge winter of 1777-8;
  2. The winter of 1778-9 when the Hudson froze so much cannon could move across it;
  3. The St. Croix Hurricane of 1772 (link) (dispute as to whether it was August 31 or September 14), but one way or another it paved way for Alexander Hamilton to wind up in New York;
  4. The Year Without Summer of 1816, see 200 years ago, we endured a 'year without a summer'; and
  5. The NYC Hurricane of 1821 that joined the Hudson and East River pretty far up into Lower Manhattan;
  6. The NYC Blizzard of 1888;
  7. The Cold Wave at the end of 1917 and beginning of 1918, with temperatures in NYC as low as -12°F;
  8. February 9, 1934, NYC's record cold of -15°F;
  9. July 9, 1936, NYC's record high of 106°F and NYS's record high, at Troy, NY of 108°F;
  10. Dozens of other record highs the week before and including July 9, 1936 in the U.S. east of the Rockies; and
  11. The Dust Bowl of the 1930's;
  12. The Hurricane of 1938;
  13. The "Mayor Lindsay" snowstorm of 1969; and
  14. The rains that soaked music revelers at Woodstock in August 1969.
Some of those are arguably in the era of so-called anthropogenic climate change. Certainly Item Nos. 1-5 are not.
Quote:
That said, until ALL humans understand and realize that our abnormally high population numbers are negatively affecting our tiny planet, we are all doomed. When our population numbers are heading towards 8 billion completely unchecked, our energy, housing, food and water, and waste disposal needs are going to crush most lifeforms on this planet, including us. And until these climate accord meetings address our population numbers, I am not going to bend over backwards to stop eating beef and dairy products, go all solar-powered electric and do away with using fossil fuels.
Fortunately most of those people are living in war-torn Africa and Asia. They consume little and they destroy only themselves. And mostly die young.
Quote:
In the meantime, my carbon footprint is small enough. I chose not to have children (saving our planet from a giant pile of used diapers, empty baby food and juice box containers), I keep my fuel efficient Hondas for up to 21 years rather than being a solitary driver of a gas guzzling SUV or over-engineered vehicle that is disposed of after the factory warranty ends, and I buy very few items that are brand new, and I try very hard to only drink my water from the tap and from a Nalgene bottle.
I have two children, 23 and 22. And between us two Toyota Camrys and one Ford Escape.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:45 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,448,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You mean like the space program missions to Mars and Jupiter, did they doctor the outcome. How about cigarettes, was the science incorrect.
I don't know. But they did within the circles of climate science and it has been uncovered time and time again.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:53 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
This whole thread points out the inherent problem with the issue.

Even if we all agreed it was occurring, the UN and various international accords have a proven track record of failure.

Kyoto for example, where the US was pilloried for not signing....and then the signatories ignored it like all the other worthless pieces of paper that the UN has.

Then you have China, who cheats on about everything from patent theft to currency manipulation and they've already said they wouldn't participate and miss out on their industrial revolution because the west has already had theirs and created lots of pollution during it.

The only thing I have faith in given it's track record is science. Breakthroughs in energy usage, creation, etc. that reduce emissions and possibly even pull carbon from the atmosphere etc.

All of these UN plans are only useful if they put them on rolls and hung them in the bathrooms in the building.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:08 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
This is one case where if you ignore the " problem" it WILL go way. Global warming is bunk.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
All of these UN plans are only useful if they put them on rolls and hung them in the bathrooms in the building.
First example was a League of Nations initiative, the Kellogg-Briand Pact's ban on war. Date of treaty, August 27, 1928. We all know how that turned out.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:48 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
If anyone's ever read Danish Climate Scientist Bjorn Lomborg's pieces about how politicized the IPCC is, how politicians edit the science in the 'Summary for Policymakers' & why he quit the IPCC, you'd never want another penny to those frauds. Even though Lomberg absolutely believes in man made climate change, he points out all the waste, corporate profit motives & politics that are really shaping the 'science'. If you think the swamp in DC needs draining, with the IPCC & UN, they need to "Drain the Ocean'.

* Edit: It was Climate Scientist Richard Tol who resigned from the IPCC due to the politicization of climate science. Bjorn Lomborg is another good read/follow on twitter though. He talks a lot about the realities of economics regarding climate change & how climate change has many positive impacts on society, which are being intentionally suppressed.

Last edited by Mason3000; 12-01-2019 at 08:08 AM..

Old 12-01-2019, 03:39 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:

Even if we all agreed it was occurring, the UN and various international accords have a proven track record of failure.

Kyoto for example, where the US was pilloried for not signing....and then the signatories ignored it like all the other worthless pieces of paper that the UN has.

Then you have China, who cheats on about everything from patent theft to currency manipulation and they've already said they wouldn't participate and miss out on their industrial revolution because the west has already had theirs and created lots of pollution during it.

The only thing I have faith in given it's track record is science. Breakthroughs in energy usage, creation, etc. that reduce emissions and possibly even pull carbon from the atmosphere etc.

Yes, that is the heart of the matter. Any effort to slow global warming would have to be a global effort. And that’s probably not going to happen in a world of competing nation-states whose economies are dependent on cheap energy from fossil fuels. Whoever burns more fossil fuels becomes richer and more powerful. Until there’s a technology that can change that game, we will keep burning fossil fuels as long as they remain abundant.

Old 12-01-2019, 05:27 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:

We aren’t solving this problem with a scientific fix, unless we reduce consumption this will continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies