Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 05:27 PM

822 posts, read 2,201,758 times

Advertisements

To the best of my knowledge humans are the only biological species that get hung up on each other's paint jobs. When I used to be a surgery tech, each time we would do any general surgery such as a laparoscopic cholecystectomy we would always go through the exact same procedure regardless of the paint job of the person on the table. This goes for all branches of surgery. The only differences that I learned about between humans via race is the amount of melanin in the stratum basale layer of the skin, along w/ various fat deposits. Other than that humans have the same basic anatomy which is why the same anatomy and physiology classes are taught all over for the human species, as opposed to different courses being needed based on paint jobs. With this, are humans the only species that get hung up on each other's paint jobs? If so why is this so? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 05:53 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Huh?

Old 11-26-2019, 05:58 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Huh?
I am guessing tattoos? Or auto painted from Earl Sheib?

Old 11-26-2019, 06:03 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
To the best of my knowledge humans are the only biological species that get hung up on each other's paint jobs. When I used to be a surgery tech, each time we would do any general surgery such as a laparoscopic cholecystectomy we would always go through the exact same procedure regardless of the paint job of the person on the table. This goes for all branches of surgery. The only differences that I learned about between humans via race is the amount of melanin in the stratum basale layer of the skin, along w/ various fat deposits. Other than that humans have the same basic anatomy which is why the same anatomy and physiology classes are taught all over for the human species, as opposed to different courses being needed based on paint jobs. With this, are humans the only species that get hung up on each other's paint jobs? If so why is this so? Thank you
What? There are other visual as well as physiological variations between races. What are you trying to say?

Were you using home-grown or medical?

Old 11-26-2019, 06:05 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Yes, but there are group differences important to medicine.

Quote:
In particular, in cardiovascular disease (CVD), the difference in drug response and its association with race have been well demonstrated6: the attenuated response to angiotensinâ€converting enzyme inhibitor therapy in black compared with white patients in heart failure and hypertension,7, 8, 9 the prevalence of cardiovascular and metabolic diseases,10, 11 and prognosis,12 when subjects are grouped on the basis of racial categories.
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/JAHA.119.014295

Old 11-26-2019, 07:59 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Humans are hardwired to proclaim "we're us and you're not". But we are not hardwired to rely on epidermal melanin as the critical factor. We are taught which factors to rely on for this determination. Religion is a criterion frequently used to determine who is us and who is them. The Greeks used language - they felt that anyone who couldn't speak Greek was inferior. They didn't think that epidermal melanin mattered much, as long as a person could speak decent Greek and was educated in the Greek sense.

All animals seem to have some way to tell the difference between them and us. For a lot of mammals, it's based on scent. For birds, it's feather pattern/coloration and/or song.

Of course, it's entirely possible for animals, including humans, to notice a difference between them and us without resorting to power trips.

The reason why it's important to notice the difference between them and us comes down to sexual reproduction - of course. Ideally, an animal wants a mate that is reasonably genetically close, to increase the possibility that clusters of locally favorable genes will be more or less maintained in the immediate population, but not so close that deleterious genes are concentrated. That's why scent is so important, it conveys direct information about immune systems, among other things. Compatible immune systems are extremely important in making healthy offspring and maintaining a robust population.

An interesting side note - I know someone who watches wild horses like birdwatchers watch birds. I went with her one day, and she pointed out that stallions often use coat color when they are selecting mares. Their preferred coat color may be their own color, but usually it isn't. A black stallion might prefer chestnut mares, while a chestnut stallion might prefer light-colored mares. Don't ask me exactly how that comes about. But I'm pretty sure that stallions don't have the mental equipment to take their favorite color as a sign that a particular mare is culturally superior to other mares.

Last edited by jacqueg; 11-26-2019 at 08:11 PM..

Old 11-26-2019, 08:21 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Lionesses prefer lions with darker manes as mates over lions with lighter manes. I'm sure there are more examples of animals being choosy about appearances within their species.

Old 11-26-2019, 09:07 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
If you think humans are the only ones to notice differences in appearance, you haven’t spent much time observing animals. There is a reason that you rarely see a white wolf in a wild pack. Many species other than Homo sapiens notice external appearance and react to it.

Old 11-27-2019, 01:32 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
There more to race than skin tone

Old 11-27-2019, 01:48 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,182,679 times
Race is one thing. Species is another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies