Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 09:26 AM

15,823 posts, read 6,532,470 times

Advertisements

Neither party has the right answers nailed, so I walked away from both parties. They're both too extreme for my taste. I usually vote based on who appears the least corrupt, and closest to the thinking middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 09:34 AM

3,405 posts, read 3,448,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
The mod from hell strikes again folks. There was nothing wrong with that post Ibginnie. Get a life.
I was wondering why my response was deleted. I dont even remember what i said. Lol

Old 11-28-2019, 09:51 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,451,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Way more prolixity than I can stomach.

Okay...you left. Whaddya want us to say? People leave political parties all the time.
I've done it three times, and voted across party lines most of my life anyway. I don't think I am unique.

I remember the Democratic debate stage in 2016 when there were five candidates. Four of them had been Republicans in the past.

Reagan started out as a union leader and a Democrat.

The notorious Roy Moore of Alabama started out as a Democrat. That's life.

I am unmoved by individual stories like the original post of this thread, we have been through this before.

People should make an honest attempt to be well and impartially informed and vote their conscience. If they do, this country will be alright.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:18 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,543,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
I was wondering why my response was deleted. I dont even remember what i said. Lol

And I think I just agreed with you. Just some bias going on in here.

Last edited by vkhmini; 11-28-2019 at 10:29 AM..

Old 11-28-2019, 10:26 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 19 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,533,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I read it. And he nailed it. I walked away, too. I voted for Obama in 2008 and watched EVERYTHING he did....or rather didn't do. All he ever wanted to do was raise taxes on the rich. I kept waiting for a jobs program. Never happened. He demonized people who worked to help people who didn't. I was a lifelong Democrat, too. Then Obama opened my eyes. I read these boards all the time and I still can't see anyone who has anything to say about any of Obama's policies that were a success. They never say it.
He is wrong about most of the things he mentioned, as are you. If you genuinly stopped supporting the Democratic Party based on lies(like no jobs program when Barack Obama had at least 3) Then I dont know what to say to people like you.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:47 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
Quote:
Let's be honest. The Democratic party, not unlike Hillary and Joe Biden, sold out.
That's not "being honest," and Democrats are not the sellouts.

The sellouts are Republicans like Lindsey Graham, Jim Jordan and the like, who have sold their soul to prop up a corrupt gangster-Prez because they fear if they don't, they will lose their seats, their power, because if they don't kowtow to Trump, he will attack them mercilessly like the mean-spirited, corrupt, criminal that he is.

Old 11-29-2019, 11:23 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,704,293 times
Clearly the original posting was written from the viewpoint of the “working class” – and a particular segment of the working class: skilled trades and high-end manufacturing (machining).

Now let’s consider how the narrative could have been different…

Our hero is a bit older than the OP. He was a smart kid from the same geographic area, who got into math… full scholarship as an undergrad, then a fellowship for a PhD. Tenure-track faculty at U of Washington in the mid 1990s… then along comes the quantitative revolution on Wall Street. Our hero is plucked out of the doldrums of academia and gets a job writing options-trading algorithms. He’s making $400K/year, before bonuses, to sling equations around. Along comes the dot-com crash, and he loses his job… but not before cashing-out with a low 7-figure parachute.

The early 2000s action shifts to Europe, and our hero relocates to Frankfurt, Germany. His algorithms bet on a rise of the Euro and a fall of the US dollar, with huge payouts to him and to his employer. 2008 rolls around, Europe (as everywhere else) tanks, and he moves on… to Shanghai… where he remains as a “quant”, until the tariffs hit in 2018. At this point our hero moves back to the Seattle area, where he buys a $12M mansion for cash, and is wondering how to hire decent but inexpensive household help. You know where this is going…

With a fortune deep in the 8-figures, the protagonist is wondering whether to get back into academia, as an encore career.

Quote:
...I read these boards all the time and I still can't see anyone who has anything to say about any of Obama's policies that were a success. They never say it.
I consider the “Wall Street” bailouts of 2008-2009, first under Bush and then Obama, to be a resounding success. I also consider Fed moves to have likewise been an unalloyed success. These are in some measure reasons for why the US has recovered from the Great Recession, but Europe has not.

Old 11-29-2019, 11:58 PM

31,016 posts, read 22,056,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why not just believe what they themselves have to say about it? The 2020 Dem candidates:

2020 Democrats Overwhelmingly Back Decriminalizing Border Crossings - Huffington Post
Yep, almost all Democrat Candidates say they want to decriminalize Border crossing "Open borders" and the Democratic voters are too delusional to believe what comes out of their leader's mouths

Old 11-30-2019, 07:19 AM

21,922 posts, read 9,488,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Yet, that is what we have. Is it defeat any idea Mr Trump has mindset of the current Democratic party. I and millions of others believe so. Justifiably so.

They - the Democratic party could demonstrate they are against open borders, if only they would.
Seems like they did:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/decri...b03d6116392906

Old 11-30-2019, 07:22 AM

21,922 posts, read 9,488,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
That's not "being honest," and Democrats are not the sellouts.

The sellouts are Republicans like Lindsey Graham, Jim Jordan and the like, who have sold their soul to prop up a corrupt gangster-Prez because they fear if they don't, they will lose their seats, their power, because if they don't kowtow to Trump, he will attack them mercilessly like the mean-spirited, corrupt, criminal that he is.

So Graham and Jordon got rich off being politicians? Show me. Are you seriously not following how much money the Bidens made from China and Ukraine? Or the Clintons who left office broke and now are worth over $100m?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies