Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 09:55 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times

Advertisements

Aren't a lot of people too busy watching football to get into political stuff on Thanksgiving??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 10:09 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
The way things are going it should be banned if members of the family are carrying sidearms.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:39 PM

78,423 posts, read 60,613,724 times
What sort of control freak and\or dysfunctional family situation does one have to have in order to have a political meltdown over thanksgiving with your family?

I used to LOVE to talk politics with my (hardcore dem) father in law over the years before he passed even though I'm pretty moderate. We had good discussions, then we ate food, drank wine and played cards. Great man, rip and we made each other think (novel concept). My one aunt is insanely republican, I love her too, I just steer the conversation away from politics. Politely saying, "I don't want to get into politics today and just want to enjoy time with my family" should suffice.

Seriously, if you and yours can't get a grip then either don't get together and\or consider some intensive therapy or time back at Arkham.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Do you think it's smart, or proper, to ban politics from Thanksgiving dinner?

Just during dinner at the table. Proper etiquette from the past demanded that during family celebrations with dining any discussions about politics, religion and other serious adult discussions that youngsters can't participate in or that might be disruptive to the enjoyment of other diners should be banned from the communal table during dinner. Such conversations would be taken up AFTER the dinner was over and the guests have all retired from the table to relax in other rooms and activities confined to their liking.

I agree with that old tradition and have found that it makes for a much more enjoyable dining experience where all diners (of all ages) are equal and able to participate in the table conversations.

Indeed. If you are seated for dinner then that is akin to being a hostage of sorts. Talking about ANY potentially unpleasant subject...politics, bladder infection, growth on your back, asking about your cousins kids prison sentence are all off-limits.

Some people have no class.

Now if you want to try to talk politics after dinner privately where your relative can escape you by feigning death or jumping through the nearest window then that's more acceptable but realize that it can still be rude.

People, it's really easy. Talking politics with a relative at a family function is like trying to hit someone up for sex that is not really a mate yet. No means no and beyond that is creepy and wrong.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:51 PM

4,508 posts, read 1,864,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
What sort of control freak and\or dysfunctional family situation does one have to have in order to have a political meltdown over thanksgiving with your family?

I used to LOVE to talk politics with my (hardcore dem) father in law over the years before he passed even though I'm pretty moderate. We had good discussions, then we ate food, drank wine and played cards. Great man, rip and we made each other think (novel concept). My one aunt is insanely republican, I love her too, I just steer the conversation away from politics. Politely saying, "I don't want to get into politics today and just want to enjoy time with my family" should suffice.

Seriously, if you and yours can't get a grip then either don't get together and\or consider some intensive therapy or time back at Arkham.
My Father has late stage TDS and cannot be reasoned with. It is totally impossible to have any kind of constructive conversation about politics. He told me point blank that I was “raised to be a better person†than a Trump supporter.

The guy isn’t in the best health and I try to avoid pointless arguments.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Aren't a lot of people too busy watching football to get into political stuff on Thanksgiving??
Yes. Those are smart people.

Unfortunately, people too deep into politics are significantly dumber than your average football fan.

Old 11-27-2019, 11:18 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
I have no idea why people need to inject politics into every little part of their lives.

Do some people have nothing else to talk about?

Old 11-28-2019, 01:17 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I saw one or two people - etiquette experts, I guess - suggesting announcing a "no-politics zone" for the sake of keeping the peace.

So, do you agree with this? Do you think the holiday table should be confined to the blandest possible conversation? Or to discussions rudely analyzing the flaws of family members? I wish I could remember who said that the push to get us to stop political conversations only further divides us. Maybe holiday dinners are the perfect time to work on our abilities to sensibly elaborate our views and be politely persuasive?

What do you think?
I think politics should be avoided especially if you know there are people with very different views. We all know that liberals are snowflakes and can't handle any challenges to their emotional beliefs.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I think politics should be avoided especially if you know there are people with very different views. We all know that liberals are snowflakes and can't handle any challenges to their emotional beliefs.
Oh brother what a silly blanket statement.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:09 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Yes.

I frustrate my family members because I won't "take a side".. my views rest neither with the conservatives / liberals or Republicans / Democrats. I consider myself an independent.... When I say that I'm capable of independent critical thinking without having a party affiliation doing the thinking for me, it pisses them to no end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies