Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2019, 04:55 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,389 times

Advertisements

I’ve thought about getting some certifications in something. Debating on whether or not to get Cisco certified.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:56 PM

Default Impeachment

Does anyone think that Trump will ACTUALLY be impeached? I personally would be surprised if it actually happened.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:27 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
I’m not a smoker but I do enjoy an occasional drink. Hobbies? Man I’m trying to pick up writing as a hobbie. Relatively new (story writing). I’ve blogged in the past.
A don't smoke. I do enjoy some beer from time to time. A few breweries where I live.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Does anyone think that Trump will ACTUALLY be impeached? I personally would be surprised if it actually happened.
Well damn, it looks like I may be eating my own words.

Old 12-19-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovementGuy View Post
Anybody here familiar with the Black Lives Matter COINTELPRO that happened in 2014 and that is still going on now? Anybody familiar with COINTEL agent Deray McKesson who the DNC used to sabotage black economics and everyone organizing? Shaun King?

Didn't really expect a thread like this on C-D but maybe this is the perfect thread to discuss exactly how the DNC sabotaged and lied to the AA community from 2014 till now.
I’m game!

I’m somewhat familiar, yes. But how exactly did his activism mess up black economics? Care to elaborate?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 12-25-2019 at 02:59 AM..

Old 12-19-2019, 05:41 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Anybody here familiar with the Black Lives Matter COINTELPRO that happened in 2014 and that is still going on now? Anybody familiar with COINTEL agent Deray McKesson who the DNC used to sabotage black economics and everyone organizing? Shaun King?

Didn't really expect a thread like this on C-D but maybe this is the perfect thread to discuss exactly how the DNC sabotaged and lied to the AA community from 2014 till now.
the DNC only governs bylaws, and of all the major Democratic organizations, it has the least money. Yall have somehow made it the boogie man though.

Old 12-19-2019, 07:10 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
the DNC only governs bylaws, and of all the major Democratic organizations, it has the least money. Yall have somehow made it the boogie man though.
Oh, this is a common mistake seen here. Too many people conflate the DNC with the Democratic party as a whole. The DNC (like the RNC) is focused on recruiting candidates for elective office, coordinating fund raising, and helping to set tactics and strategy for electoral campaigns. That's it. They don't "vote" for anything as a body - that is what elected officials do - even though there are elected officials who do concurrently serve as DNC officials.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:42 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Just saw this cause I been busy lol

Quote:
Happy Thanksgiving y'all!

It's been a while since I've posted and wanted to start a space for blacks (regardless of origin in the diaspora) to discuss politics and social status. My vision is for it to be similar to threads that I've started in the past by having some starter questions with other topics to eventually evolve from the initial questions.

Do you identify as ADOS or are you descended from another region (West Indies, Africa, etc)?
No - I don't identify as ADOS. I also do not descend from outside of the USA

Quote:
Do you identify politically as a Democrat, Republic, Independent, or Other?
Independent but I am center left - I am currently registered republican because in OH where I live you are registered according to what primary you vote in. I last voted in the Republican primary.

Quote:
Do you identify as conservative, liberal, moderate, or other?
moderate

Quote:
What region are you currently located in?
Great Lakes

Quote:
When it comes to illegal immigration, do you think that it's worse in some areas than others?
Yes

Quote:
Where do you primarily get your news from? (FOX, CNN, etc?)
I read my local news online and watch PBS Newshour a couple time a week. I don't like cable news channels

Quote:
Should black people form their own political parties?
No

Quote:
What's your stance on movements such as "BLEXIT" and the like?
I don't think "Blexit" exist and I think it is a made up thing by conservatives who wish that it did.

Quote:
When it comes to the state of black Economics (depending on your area), what would you like to see change? What can we do to attain that?
I would like to see the median income of black families/households rise by at least $10k in the next 10 years. I also would like to see the accumulated wealth (assets-liabilities) increase to at least $5k in the next 10 years. I do think it can happen.

I live in a "rust belt" area however we have a good job market today and people without a college degree can get manufacturing jobs that start out at $15 an hour and make over $20 an hour within a couple years. Due to those types of jobs having a lot of overtime, most people who work in these factories pull in about $50k per year, which is much higher than our median income for black families (it is a little less than $30k per year).

It is VERY cheap to live where I live - you can get a 2bd apartment for $450 a month. We have some 1bd apartments for $350 a month. So it is easier financially here.

I'd like to see more single parents combine their households in order to save money and work on buying a home to increase their net worth and have more secure housing as our rents are increasing in the area and a lot of people here make $15 an hour or less. There are nice homes for sale in decent neighborhoods here for less than $100k and the mortgage on those homes would be less than rent. So I'd like to see especially black single mothers move in with a friend or family and combine incomes, pay down debt, increase credit ratings, and save their money to get a home. I'd also like to ensure they are in a position/job where they can make at least $45-$60k per year so they can live comfortably. I'd also encourage them, especially the young people in their 20s to save at least 3% of their income in a 401k so that when they are in their 30s they'll have some money stashed away. Too many black Americans don't invest and buy into a "we can't" negative attitude about money/finances and IMO they do so because they are too heavily invested in media perceptions of black people as all poor and incapable of escaping poverty. I grew up in poverty and I am not impoverished today and I made specific steps to improve my financial lot. Over the years I've experience ever negative thing that Millenials especially like to complain about, but I never had an "I can't" attitude. I think that one's outlook is important in all aspects of their lives but especially for financial lives.

I'd also encourage young black adults not to go to expensive schools they see on TV and to seek out some valid career counseling if they are looking into acquiring or changing careers or even going for an advanced degree. We have WAY more student loan debt than other demographics and that is one of the primary reasons for our low net worth as families.

Responses in bold above

Last edited by Oldhag1; 12-25-2019 at 03:04 AM.. Reason: Please do not respond within others’ quotes, others can’t quote you.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:49 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
I’d be interested in knowing everyone’s educational background. I have a baccalaureate degree in Sociology and a masters degree in Instructional Technology. I’m debating on whether or not I want to pursue a doctoral degree.
I have a BA in English lit and a MS in Economics.

I'm currently working on a doctorate in history as I will be changing careers when I semi-retire (I plan to retire in my 50s, I'm 40 right now. I like my career - supply chain - but it gets "old" dealing with people and their deadlines and attitudes so I'm going to switch to my passion wen I retire in my 50s and teach college history and research for a living).

Personally I make over $80k per year, my household makes over 6 figures in a year on income. I'm a black woman, married to a black man with two black children. One is graduating high school this school year and one is in elementary school.

I work for an organization where I make less money than I could if I went somewhere else. I stay where I am because they will pay for my son's education via an employee benefit program. They are also paying for my doctorate degree.

Like Indentured Servant, most people "like me" too, including white people even though here on the forums the white posters seem to have an issue with black people being too mouthy lol.

I'm similar IRL to how I am online.

I am an atheist, which is "different" for a black woman. I consider myself a secular humanist. However, I do not have any dislikes about any religious people on a personal level except if they try to evangelize me. Most people who know me who are Christians like me. Muslims from Arab countries like me as well. My African American family members who are Muslims they don't like to speak to me about religion because I've insulted them by telling them they are attempting to be a white patriarch and impose those sorts of oppresive, sexist tactics on black women and families. We get along but they don't engage me in certain conversations lol.

I'm a black feminist and have been since I was 19 and read "Aint I a Woman: Black Women and Feminism" when I was in undergrad. I went to an HBCU and am an HBCU alum. I am VERY into black culture and I love black people. People who know me (including white people) know this about me because I never hid who I am. I've been "natural" in regards to my hair since I was 18 before it was popular. I get asked a lot of advice today because of the longevity of my "natural hair journey" lol - I lol because I don't consider growing hair to be a journey at this point in my life.

I think the main issue that black people have is that we too often care too much about what other people think of us as African Americans. Also that too many of us have an inferior view of being black or black people versus other people. I especially see this exhibited in generalizations of our people by other black people (like thinking/saying "all black people spend too much money on Jordans" or thinking/saying "all black people are ghetto" etc - those are indicative of social programming to inferiorize us).

I also am looking into moving, though only temporarily, to an African nation in the future just to experience living on the continent. I agree with Indentured Servant as well in that many black people don't view moving to an African nation as favorable/preferable because white people aren't doing it. Similar IMO to gentrification whereas many black people who live in the hood don't like the hood but once white people start moving to it, they like it and complain about the white people.

I live in my hometown in a lower income neighborhood. This neighborhood is the same one where my great grandmother grew up. I love living in the inner city and don't like suburban living. However, we are going to sell our rental property in Atlanta early in 2020 and we are going to buy some wood/forest and probably move out to the woods at some point.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 12-20-2019 at 08:01 AM..

Old 12-20-2019, 03:47 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
No, no, no, no. That's not how the power structure works at all.

The DNC has the most power in influencing the Democratic Party. While individual candidates have free will to do as they please, they operate under the umbrella and politics is social, so the DNC has influence over elections. Elections dictate which candidates get elected that can enact certain policies.

You could run as a radical Democrat but you could also run as an independent. Why wouldn't you run as an independent? Because you might have a less likely chance to get elected. Why? Because of $$$
The DNC is the frame work, it is not the power structure. Thats what you are getting wrong. Nancy Pelosi is far more powerful than Tom Perez.

There is a reason my becoming an elected memeber of congress usually means you have control over your local Democratic Party.

Quote:
The DNC/Democratic Party also has ties to media. Which influence elections and can be used to lie to the masses. Such as Deray McKesson started 'The Movement,' or things in Ferguson. Why would they do this? To control the narrative, strategies and messages of said Movements. Which completely negates the reason a Movement was started in the first place. To provide the people a voice.
The DNC has a media spokesmen just like all 435 congressmen do. Thats not a point in your favor. Its actually shows the flaw in your argument. You are assuming power, rather than actually seeing it.

Quote:
Tell me DSJJ. What was The Movement about? If you can't even tell me that, then you can't deny the influence the DNC and media has over the American population. You should've known that if the DNC and media were being honest.
Sure I can deny it, because that is not how anything in this world works. You are literally arguing a conspiracy theory that you have no proof of, and then claiming it must be true, because you said so.

Quote:
And do you understand the financial structure behind the DNC and media?
Yes, but you clearly dont.
Quote:
Then how did they collude against Bernie Sanders last election? How was Hillary given the questions early? How come more candidates don't run as Independents in the presidential election? When is the last time we've had a legit independent candidate away from the RNC or DNC??
Lets be clear.

1. DNC memebers are free to support who ever they want. They never had to be nuetral. There was no secret pact to be against Bernie. People dont like him, they openly(both legally and ethically) opposed him.

2. She got 2 obvious questions for the debate in advanced, neither caused Bernie to lose. Are you claiming they did ?

3. Running under the umbrella of a Party is easier because members of the party pledge not to run against you, its less competition and more support at the same time.

Quote:
Are you really trying to argue that there is not a huge advantage to run within one of the parties as opposed to an independent or 3rd party?
No one disagrees with this statement, but thats not the "DNC" as you are arguing it, thats party dynamics in general.

As I said Previously, Nancy Pelosi has more power than Tom Perez. the Local and state parties identify candidates and make rules for the primaries, but the DCCC, DSCC, and DGA actually fund and train those candidates. The DNC has no power outside of allowing you on the ballot, and in most places, that simply means registering and spending a couple of dollars to show you are serious in running, thats it.

You simply do not understand the power dynamics of what you are discussing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies